HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Missing AFC screw!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing AFC screw!

Ok a couple of weeks ago I got a wild hair and decided to mess with my AFC housing. Well while trying to slide it forward with the bracket for the shut off solenoid still in place I think I managed to strip the threads in the lower right hand screw (if facing pump from drivers side fender). Well I also managed to drop one of what I thought was a washer/shim, now I'm thinking it was a lockwasher cause when I popped the hood tonight I was missing the lower left hand screw(!) and the lower right hand one was loose!! <br><br>Now I know that there were two pieces that come off with each screw. Is one a washer and the other a lockwasher? I've heard them referred to as shims before, this isn't a specific shim is it? How bad have a messed up here? I plan on going to the hardware store in the morning and seeing if I can get another screw to go in, and I'm planning on putting a lock washer on it too. I'm hoping I can just run a thread chaser through the lower right hand threads and it'll all be ok, but I'm scared it won't. <br><br>Suggestions, Comments, Support :'( :'( :'(
Old 12-21-2002, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Missing AFC screw!

Hey Smoke,<br>If I remember correctly they are 6mm-30 long machine screws.I always use a flat washer whehver I use a lockwasher,I quess I've spent too much time working on motorcycles. It would require some mech ability, but I saw a post with pictures,that show someone had stipped the screw holes and remove the pump and Helicoiled the hole on the workbench.