HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Loud knocking. I think it's the trani

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Loud knocking. I think it's the trani

As usual, I'm out on the road with a trailer full of car's. I'm just outside of Nashville, TN.

I started hearing a little noise when the trani would downshift going up a hill. It just did it for just a second, then stopped. It would do it again when it shifted back. I was hoping it was a u-joint, no problem, have one laying in the seat next to me. It did this for about 20 mile's, then I stopped for the night and got a better look.

While in park, it doesn't make the noise. When I put it in gear, it nock's really hard. If I put it in nutruel, it knock's, but if I rev it up, it sound's like a card in your bicycle spoke's, and speed's up with the rpm's. It's coming from the bottom end of the motor or trani.

I'm guessing it has to be something in the trani since it only does it while in gear,,,right?? Could it be the torque converter, or maybe the front pump.

I'm really screwed. I don't have the money to fix anything bad. And I sure can't afford a tow bill home. I know I shouldn't drive it, but the closer I get, the cheaper the tow. I really don't know what to do here. Do I dare try to make it home. Any idea's what could be wrong. Thank's. Damned Ramer Jamer.

EDIT:

It does make the noise in park, just doesn't knock as hard. And the noise speed's up while in gear if you hold the brake and rev.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex plate? I haven't heard of any cracking, but that doesn't mean it can't happen on the newer trucks. Loose torque converter bolts?
Just tossing some ideas out there.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:49 AM

I don't know if this is related or not. I think I may have double dosed some Meaner Cleaner. I just switched from Lucas, and it take's half the dose. I'm not sure if I did that or not. But I got to the next fuel stop after running out a 1/4 tank and topped it off just to be safe. The reason I mention this is because there is a thin oil subtance on the cross meber, and the bottom of the oil pan. It's not oil or trani fluid, and it smell's like the Meaner Cleaner. I'm pretty sure it came out of the vent tube. Could of that damaged the turbo maybe. I checked the exhaust pipe and the oil is not there, and I didn't see any smoke coming out.

I just woke up from a sound sleep and turbo just banged into my head. I went down and started the truck to check for boost. I don't know if this is normal while sitting still or not, but I had no boost up till 2500 rpm, and I had to rev it hard to get 10psi at 3500 rpm. I didn't know it would rev that high. Are those normal reading's.

It does make a funny kinda grinding noise in park, just not the knocking. As soon as you put it in gear it knock's. Any idea's. Thank's.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's a knock my guess would be that it's coming from the engine. It could be as simple as an injector going bad or as bad as a Main or rod bearing getting ready to let loose. Any fuel in the oil pan?

And your turbo is not going to make hardly any boost sitting there in neutral under no load...
Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM

No fuel in the oil. I dropped the trailer and drove it. Turbo is fine.

I just now had someone rev it up, while I was underneath, and it definatly sound's like the torque converter is hammering inside.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Banned

pull the cover, verify the flexplate to crank bolts and flexplate to converter bolts are tight. look to make sure the plate isnt cracked. look at the mounting tabs that the converter bolts go into. stock converters arent welded on really good. make sure the welds arent broken.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 AM

i had that problem and it was the flex plate and the torque convertor bolts were hitting making a god awful knocking noise.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:33 AM

I pulled both cover's and can't get to the tc bolt's. Am I missing something or what. I'm guessing you have to pull the starter. From what I could see, I didn't see any crack's anywhere.

Doest much matter. Now there's a puddle of trani fluid under it coming from the front. It's really hammering, and grinding like a shot bearing. I'm thinking it's the pump and or converter.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 PM

if you have a puddle and the noise then that is a problem. Need to pull the tranny to find out if the converter or front pump has gone south.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

There's a plate on the adapater plate you need to remove to get the bolts.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 PM

Mine is a 04. Are they all the same. I took the upper plate off the front side, what would be opposite of the starter. I couldn't see the bolt's.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 PM

If it's similar to a 47RH, there should be a plug and that cover that you took off on the passenger side. The bolts are lined up with the cover, you'll have to rotate the engine while feeling for the bolts. If you don't have a barring tool (this would go into where the plug is), you could take a large screwdriver or a pry bar and use it on the flywheel to turn the engine. Or you could have a helper turn the alternator nut to turn the engine backwards while you feel for the bolts. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:22 AM

Here's a pic of an adapter in the classified's. It's for a manual, don't know if it's the same or not, just using it for dimastration.

I pulled the cover that's on the left side. I can not see the bolt's. Is that a plug at the 1 o'clock position that comes out. If not, I'll have to pull the starter.
Attached Thumbnails Loud knocking. I think it's the trani-adapter.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The plate on the left side is the one you want to take off, there should be 2 holes under it, one smaller one for the barring tool to engage the ring gear and the one slightly above it is for access for the TC bolts. Like Crimedog said, your going to have to rotate the engine over till you feel the head of a bolt.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:14 AM

I just be missing something. That's the cover I took off. I would swear I can't see those bolt's. Seem's like they're farther toward the center. I did have someone cranking it too. I'll try again.