HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Inspecting Differential

Old 10-19-2002, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inspecting Differential

My left rear wheel started making a rubbing noise this week. I pulled the hub to inspect the brake and bearing. The shoes look good but the bearing looks like is has gotten hot. The rollers feel smooth and there is no gauling of the rollers or bearing surface. The inner seal was leaking. The axel fluid has some metalic in it so I'm going to pull apart the right side and change all the beaqrings. When I do this I'm going to pull the dirrerential cover and flush the works.<br><br>Questions-<br><br>What is the best way to flush the differential?<br><br>Is there an inspection procedure for the differential? <br><br>Jay<br><br>93 D250 LE EC 4x4
Old 10-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Muted User

Re:Inspecting Differential

If you pull the axles, then yes you'll have to pull the differential. Metallic wear is normal in a differential as long as it's very fine powdery metal that should only show on the magnetic plug almost like a paste. You should have a uniform wear pattern on your teeth. You shouldn't have any broken or chipped teeth. Look at the bearings and if it's a limitedslip check out the clutches by the carrier. I replaced my ring &amp; pinion because it had a ton of chipped and broken teeth.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:39 PM

As it turns out it was the right side bearings. The outer bearing is chewed up pretty good. I pulled the diff cover and to my suprise there is no sign of any metalic debris in the oil. the diff looks good. No brocken teeth or uneven wear, actually the wear looks minimal. <br><br>I really don't want to pull the diff but on the other hand I think I should flush the axel housing. I've never pulled a diff. Anything I should be cautious of?<br><br>
Old 10-20-2002, 12:50 PM

Don't pull the diff, just the cover. Clean out the case the best you can with a rag. Put in a magnetic drain plug to catch any left over metal shavings when you refill it. Metel in the oil will cause pre-mature wear on your pinion and carrier bearings. I would check it in few hundred miles, and change it again if you see any metal in the oil to be safe.