HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

"How To change a FAN CLUTCH?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"How To change a FAN CLUTCH?"

Looking at the job, it looks fairly easy... is it as easy as it looks... it appears to be just some simple bolts... even appears the fan will stay in place for the job... is this really the situation? I have an appointment Monday for a stat and a wandering temp gauge... but I'm under the gun with time and really want to get things rolling... does anyone have a play by play for a clutch fan replacement 95 Dodge 2500 turbo diesel...
Old 07-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah a wrench on the big hex. It turns left hand. A big pair of pumps on the fan pully, unscrew it. Fan and hub comes out towards the passenger side when rotated right. A big adjustable will fit on the hex if one bolt is removed for clearence.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:43 PM

There are also four

10mm bolts on the actual fan assembly itself, if you want to go this way, grind down a cheapy 10mm box enx wrench, knock off the serpentine belt, and then have at it, you can get to the four bolts that hold the entire assembly in there. Once you have it completely off (NOTE, the shroud needs to come off as well in this case, as well as the coolant resevoir and possibly the washer fluid bottle) you can get a vise and remove the fan and on a bench work on undoin it, it sure helps to have a vice tho...

Rick
Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 PM

Or just take the large hex loose, slide the assembly out, fix it put it back together. Why take all that other stuff off.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree, the only thing that needs to come off is the fan w/clutch.
Even with the proper tools I've had enough trouble getting the fan off that I aways use a long drift and hand sledge to give a good whack on the driver's side of the fan nut flat before using the wrench. You can also remove the fan with an air chisel with a blunt tip, only tool needed. Rotate the fan clockwise with two blades in-between the oil fill spout to remove it without removing the shroud.
Use anti-seize before reinstalling.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 PM

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I was driving today and the belt made an awful noise, popped, and now I have no belt. I took a look and the fan pulley is loose. All of the bolts that hold the pulley on the clutch backed out. Anyone heard of this? Do I need a new fan clutch/assembly? Thanks for the help!
R
Old 07-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rbattle
the fan pulley is loose. All of the bolts that hold the pulley on the clutch backed out. Anyone heard of this? Do I need a new fan clutch/assembly? Thanks for the help!
R
i wouldnt think you would need a need clutch off the bat.. but i would check it to see if you warped/ bent anything. i have had this happen on other vehicles.
only once did i have to replace anything. i would just throw some locktite ont the bolt and tighten them back up.
other thiing to check being hot is the clutch on the a/c compressor. i have replace more then one one every dodge i have owned except my current one.
you can always find a belt to bypass it for now if it is. (and you can keep it for an emergency back up too!)

last thing as i remember random stuff form the past . check the pully to maje sure it is infact not siezed or freely moving.

hope this helps!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the help! I put some correctly sized bolts back in, but as I was doing it I noticed that the fan can spin freely from the pulley. How does the clutch work? I am goin to go get the belt right now to see if I can get the truck back up and running. I have some stereo equipment coming today that I would like to be able to put in, hence the need for an alternator.
R
Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM

How to change a fan clutch

I am assuming you can do all the basic stuff. Like remove the reseviors and hoses. Pull out the radiator that way the shroud can be pulled off. DO NOT REMOVE THE BOLTS ON FAN!!!! Now the easiest way to do this is. Get an air chisel and hit the big center bolt to the right side (reverse thread on the big center bolt) while holding fan with your hand. So don't use a real sharp blade or one that is to dull. This will knock the large center nut loose and you can now easily spin off the center bolt. Dont hammer away on the nut you are just trying to loosen it it. Of course the other option is to use a clutch fan remover wrenchs. This is a bit of a pain in the ***. But Autozone may have them in the free loaner tool section. Also be careful with the fan. You do not want to bend it. If the fan is off balance you will blow your waterpump bearing out faster. FYI I just did this in the middle of a snow storm. It took me less than 2 hours and I am a slow lazy backyard mechanic. So if you have air tools that is the fastest way to do this. I am sure they will line up to critizes my way. But that is the short cut
Old 07-18-2006, 01:19 PM

tighten the bolt

You need to hit the hex bolt with the air chisel to get it tight again. I not you need the special wrench to hold the motor while tightening the clutch down. DO NOT USE LOCK TIGHT!!!! The person that wrote that should not even be allowed to check his own oil
Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I got it taken care of pretty easily. The assembly was a little expensive, but it is all good now. I feel much better now, I didn't realize how much I rely on my truck to be productive during the day.
R
Old 07-18-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
DO NOT USE LOCK TIGHT!!!! The person that wrote that should not even be allowed to check his own oil
He was talking about the small bolts that hold the pulley to the bearing. They come from the factory Loctited and should be when reassembled.

If the fan is off balance you will blow your water pump bearing out faster
Please explain how this possible since the water pump isn't behind the fan on a Cummins as it is on many engines.

I have feeling that with all this misinformation that BigDave has never worked on a Cummins and anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 AM

Would you like me to send you pictures of my new clutch fan assembly?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 AM

No, I've seen hundreds of them. None were attached to the water pump.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Quick Reply: "How To change a FAN CLUTCH?"