HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Holley Blue Leaking Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

Location: Newman Lake, WA (But my home is deep in the heart of Texas!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Holley Blue Leaking Fuel

Yesterday when leaving work I noticed a small amount of fuel under the frame rail where my Holley is located. Sure enough the bottom plate is leaking fuel, only a very small drip however when running. I clamped off my inlet/outlet lines and removed the plate, added a small amount of gasket RTV rated for fuel, placed the original rubber gasket on top of that and worked the excess RTV from the center of the original rubber gasket outward. When I re-installed the bottom plate on the Holley I had not stopped all the fuel from clamping the lines so it was still wet and dripping a bit. I re-torqued the bottom bolt and let it cure overnight. After driving in to work I see that it still has a small drip. I believe that the problem has to do wit the 22PSI I am getting because of the Moroso spring I replaced the factory spring with and the fact the original pump spec was 12psi and I am exceeding the capacity of the factory rubber seal.

Should I remove the entire assembly this weekend, clean the surfaces and re-apply the gasket and RTV while dry? Has anyone else had this problem? Like I said it is only a small drip every few seconds while running. Should this be a real safety concern? I drive 10 miles to work and back.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM

My Holley blue was doing the same for about a month, I removed it took the bottom plate off and cleaned it up real good. Took a nice layer of black RTV and let it cure for a few hours. Its been bone dry since and that was a few months ago! No need to buy a new one, its just that holley blue's I was told are not made to pump diesel, but once you remove the factory gasket on the bottom and use some black RTV on it I think they do pretty well.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM

Your at the upper limit of what a VP likes. To much pressure can cause internal damage. I'd stay below 18 PSI at idle.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tanderson2002us
Yesterday when leaving work I noticed a small amount of fuel under the frame rail where my Holley is located. Sure enough the bottom plate is leaking fuel, only a very small drip however when running. I clamped off my inlet/outlet lines and removed the plate, added a small amount of gasket RTV rated for fuel, placed the original rubber gasket on top of that and worked the excess RTV from the center of the original rubber gasket outward. When I re-installed the bottom plate on the Holley I had not stopped all the fuel from clamping the lines so it was still wet and dripping a bit. I re-torqued the bottom bolt and let it cure overnight. After driving in to work I see that it still has a small drip. I believe that the problem has to do wit the 22PSI I am getting because of the Moroso spring I replaced the factory spring with and the fact the original pump spec was 12psi and I am exceeding the capacity of the factory rubber seal.

Should I remove the entire assembly this weekend, clean the surfaces and re-apply the gasket and RTV while dry? Has anyone else had this problem? Like I said it is only a small drip every few seconds while running. Should this be a real safety concern? I drive 10 miles to work and back.

Thanks,

Tom
no safety concerns with diesel fuel. it takes a pretty good flame to ignite a diesel leak in that area, and then if your moving not likely..... gasoline maybe
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Mine was leaking also, looked liked bottom plate, after I tried replacing the gasket etc. I found it was leaking out of a small hole about halfway up the side of the pump. I had to replace the pump.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fern
Your at the upper limit of what a VP likes. To much pressure can cause internal damage. I'd stay below 18 PSI at idle.
22 PSI is really too much?

It seems like opinions vary but I will compress the spring a bit to bring the pressure down below 20. How much pressure do you get with a FASS or AirDog? I thought 22PSI was o.k. I have only had this set-up a month or so but it is on a new VP-$$.

Thanks!

Tom

Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 PM

I have been at 26-28 PSI at idle for the past 2 years with no problems at all!
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lovinCTD59
I have been at 26-28 PSI at idle for the past 2 years with no problems at all!
true but the factory fuel filter housing may begin to show signs of leaking as it was not designed for that level of pressure...as I found out. The WIF and/or heater wires will begin to leak around the inlet to the housing. To lower the psi, I installed the regulator that came w/the holley blue pump. Idle=18psi, WOT=15, no problems for 2+ years. To answer the original post question, I would take the plate off, clean the surface and let the rtv dry really well before using.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

Thanks everyone for all this input!

What a great site!

Tom