HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

help! trucking idling rough!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! trucking idling rough! banging noises like something broke

.. started all of a sudden...if im in park or in drive and not giving any throttle...there is awful clatter...something is definitely not right..

BUT

when i add throttle and drive everything is absolutely fine...drives fine..full power..shifts fine...no smoke..no vibration...no leaks either!!....

when i idle its like there's 2 engines idling..loud scratching....like taking rocks and rubbing them together..i guess its what's called "knocking" maybe?

no recent changes have been done to the truck...oil is month old and where it should be...nothing is leaking...

i have neevr done a valve adjustment and injectors are factory too

???

DREW
Old 07-22-2006, 11:29 PM

im getting nervous that this sounds like the KDP which i never killed...
Old 07-23-2006, 12:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a KDP drop on a company truck, and it didn't act like that. It ran fine, at idle or any other RPM, but it did sound different- a bit of a gear whine sound. From what I understand, a dropped KDP may not make any noise (discovered by oil leak) or may make a whine, and they usually run fine.

There are photos in my gallery of where the gear case broke from the KDP, which I understand is the typical place for KDP damage, though I'm told this one was worse than most.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
I had a KDP drop on a company truck, and it didn't act like that. It ran fine, at idle or any other RPM, but it did sound different- a bit of a gear whine sound. From what I understand, a dropped KDP may not make any noise (discovered by oil leak) or may make a whine, and they usually run fine.

There are photos in my gallery of where the gear case broke from the KDP, which I understand is the typical place for KDP damage, though I'm told this one was worse than most.
thanks bud i guess im a lil more optimistic...the truck is sitting in the driveway lookign fine with no leaks right now...starts on the first crank too...but im leaving it alone and i hope to discover what it is...
Old 07-23-2006, 12:25 AM

where was the pin when u found it??? curious
Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 AM

I think they fished it out of the oil pan, but I can't swear to it.

Hopefully one of the experts around here will chime in with what might be wrong with your truck.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 AM

I think they fished it out of the oil pan, but I can't swear to it.

Hopefully one of the experts around here will chime in with what might be wrong with your truck.
yeah ive read that too...so i guess it can fall 2 ways...backwards into the engine and end up in the oil pan or forward into the timing gera case causing the crack

im gonna change the oil tommorow and drop the pan..it would be a pleasant susrpirse to find it there causing the rattle
Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 AM

Before you start disassembling it, try a few things.
Is the motor actually running rough, or just noisy?
If just noisy, take off the serpentine belt and see if it's still noisy. That will tell you if one of the accessory's (p/s pump, alternator, a/c pump, etc.) are the cause or not.
Next check the flywheel, torque converter area. Sometimes a weight will come off and make lots of noise, or the flywheel will crack, (happened on my racer, unbelievable noise, ran great).
Use a broom handle to try to pinpoint the location of the noise, one end on your ear, other end on different parts of motor.
Everyone has the tendency to think the worst, and start spending big money on parts and repairs, when in many cases it's something minor, ALWAYS CHECK THE CHEAP STUFF FIRST
Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Racer9
Before you start disassembling it, try a few things.
Is the motor actually running rough, or just noisy?
If just noisy, take off the serpentine belt and see if it's still noisy. That will tell you if one of the accessory's (p/s pump, alternator, a/c pump, etc.) are the cause or not.
Next check the flywheel, torque converter area. Sometimes a weight will come off and make lots of noise, or the flywheel will crack, (happened on my racer, unbelievable noise, ran great).
Use a broom handle to try to pinpoint the location of the noise, one end on your ear, other end on different parts of motor.
Everyone has the tendency to think the worst, and start spending big money on parts and repairs, when in many cases it's something minor, ALWAYS CHECK THE CHEAP STUFF FIRST

thanks im gonna give it a shot out there today and see whats up...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Does it sound like just one cylinder or the whole thing? You could loosen an injection line or something one at a time and see if you can pin point a certain cylinder. If you undo one and the noise stops then you've found your problem cylinder.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Does it sound like just one cylinder or the whole thing? You could loosen an injection line or something one at a time and see if you can pin point a certain cylinder. If you undo one and the noise stops then you've found your problem cylinder.

im gonna try that too if it comes down to that

update: sounds like its coming from the bottom of the motor and possible the back as well...can't really hear anythign unusual in the timing gears
Old 07-23-2006, 11:42 AM

ur thinking injector failure? or lost compression?...wouldnt i get smoke? im burning clean hmmmm...this ticks me off...im draining the oil and im gonna fish around in there to see if i find anyhting like a pin...it simply sounds like metal on metal...terrible sound...everythign is working fine otherwise
Old 07-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Banned

I was wondering if maybe an injector of your's started running loud or nosiy or maybe you've got a cylinder starting to give out or something. It could also be the start of a seized bearing. I'd have an oil analysis done just to see if you get any unusually high metal deposits.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 PM

I was wondering if maybe an injector of your's started running loud or nosiy or maybe you've got a cylinder starting to give out or something. It could also be the start of a seized bearing. I'd have an oil analysis done just to see if you get any unusually high metal deposits.

ok so i talked to Bill (infidel)..he's thinking it sounds like a flexplate problem maybe....what is that? and where is that? i did a search and no one really describes it...i just understood that i'll have to drop the trans i think
Old 07-23-2006, 02:48 PM

Essentially a flex plate is to an automatic what a flywheel is to a stick shift.

It's the plate that bolts to the crankshaft at the rear of the engine, with the gear teeth that the starter engages, and the torque converter bolts to it.

Stock ones have been known to fail, and if it is sounding bad at the back of the engine, I think Infidel may have nailed it.

Quick Reply: help! trucking idling rough!