HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Fuel Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Issue?

Ok, so I've been going through some issues with a stock 94 CTD..
First off FYI: Just had auto tranny rebuilt recently and replaced the lift pump..
Have not checked cylinder pressure etc.. yet..

My main concern as of July 4th weekend, after a steep grade, is that the turbo is no longer spooling up, turbo seems fine, spins fine, no play in bearings. Had to drive back on I-5 with no turbo, oil pressure is normal if a tad high.. Does not push up hills, put throttle down to the metal and get nothing..

I am having other issues that may coincide or be purely coincidental..

Having issues with fairly violent hesitation between 45 and 53 unless I throttle past to OD lock out, have to have OD off to travel at those speeds.. Thought the tranny rebuild would take care of that, tranny guy says its not the tranny, much to my dismay... This is now also occurring at lower, say 25 - 35, though not as bad..

Valve cover gasket is leaking some oil, has been since I got it a year ago, and yes, owner negligence can be claimed here...

So I'm stuck here, maybe two separate issues or maybe just one ball of wax.. It is my first cummins, won't be the last, so go easy on me here, just want to get through this rough patch.. Got 270k on her would like to see 500++.. You guys rock, I've learned so much from this board, can't wait to hear what ya have to say here.. Whether I like it or not.. Cheers!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the turbo spooling and not producing boost, or is the turbo not spinning at all? Do you have boost gauges? If you don't, the first thing I'd check is all the intercooler fittings. If those are tight and solid, you may have popped the intercooler. If the turbo isn't spooling, it may be a stuck wastegate.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
First thing first, check your fuel pressure, should be 22-25 at idle, 32-35 at WOT.

Could be low fuel pressure due to filter, pre-filter, overflow valve. You say the lift pump was just replaced, why?

Also make SURE the fuel solenoid is lifting the fuel lever fully, it is on the side of the Injection pump, towards the rear. While running, you should not be able to raise the lever any further than the solenoid has already.