HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

fuel intake problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel intake problem???

Ok.... first off I just want to let everyone know that I am posting this for my husband so if I sound dumb, please forgive me. (He is the motorhead)!! OK, here goes. My husband has a 2000 CTD. A few weeks ago it started having problems starting. (It took a few sranks to get it to turn over. He thought it might be the fuel filter, so he replaced it. He went to start it.... and nothing. He got under there and messed with the air relief valve (?) and I cranked it and it started. We got home fine, but the next day nothing (unless he messes with that valve. He was thinking it might be the transfer pump. So I got him a new one today and when he got home from work and tried to replace it he found a silver box saying "Do not service. Fuel system has been modified from its original configuration." I guess my question does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:05 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tansfer pump?? are you running dual tanks? or do yo mean lift Pump, which feeds fuel to the filter...
Old 04-26-2006, 05:17 AM
JKM

I would say she is definetly talking about the lift pump.

There are 2 things i would do right now in your situation, 1. Bump the starter (just turn the key to start long enough to make it "bump" the engine over , do not attempt to start the engine) and LISTEN to see if you can hear the lift pump running , it is electrical , so you will hear it humm or buzz

2. Get a fuel pressure gauge made , at least a temporary one , i assume you have a second vehicle, so pull the air bleed fitting out of the top of the fuel filter casing , and go to a hydraulic shop, get a small hose with a fitting that will fit into where you took the plug out (take the plug with you to the shop), and on the other end get a pressure gauge that reads from 0-20 psi put on the other end. Attach this to the truck , and bump the starter again , and watch for fuel pressure.

The second step assumes that you can hear a pump in step 1.

Can you get us a picture of the little box that he found? And has the dealer worked on the truck recently , it is possible it now has an in tank pump.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:28 AM

JKM, I agree, just want to be sure. A picture sure would help everyone figure it out.
A quick check before doing the fuel pressure tho would be to crack the bleeder and see if the pump IS in fact pumping fuel.
I am also wondering if there is a leak sucking in air , since "He got under there and messed with the air relief valve (?) and I cranked it and it started ."
Devildodge, have you or hubby noticed any leaks or stains?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:47 AM

I was told (by a deisel shop out here) that the transfer pump and the fuel pump are the same thing. Is he mistaken? I posted pics in my gallery but they are stillpending approval. The first one is what is in his truck and the second one is what I got him. He is assuming that it is now an intank pump since it says "fuel system has been modified." The pump is working (I hear it humming). And there are no leaks. I am wondering if he got air in his fuel line when he changed the fuel filter. Hopefully the pics will be approved soon so you can see what I am talking about. (Unless you can tell me another way to post pics).
Old 04-26-2006, 11:09 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devildodge
I was told (by a deisel shop out here) that the transfer pump and the fuel pump are the same thing. Is he mistaken? I posted pics in my gallery but they are stillpending approval. The first one is what is in his truck and the second one is what I got him. He is assuming that it is now an intank pump since it says "fuel system has been modified." The pump is working (I hear it humming). And there are no leaks. I am wondering if he got air in his fuel line when he changed the fuel filter. Hopefully the pics will be approved soon so you can see what I am talking about. (Unless you can tell me another way to post pics).
Air in the system would be quickly expelled, (the amount from a filter change that is).
The diesel shop is correct. There is an Inection pump that actualy feeds the high pressure to the injectors, that is never referred to as a transfer pump. The logic here is that there are two pumps, one that supplies (lift) the injection pump (VP-44).

How many miles are on the truck?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM

It has 120K
Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Sounds like an air leak around the fuel filter area to me. He is able to bleed the air out at the schrader valve.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Sounds like an air leak around the fuel filter area to me. He is able to bleed the air out at the schrader valve.
Right, allowing more air into the system over time as it sits. Good thought.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:30 PM

Again, with the rick of sounding dumb.....

Is there an easy way for me to check while he is at work or should I just wait for him to get home?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:10 PM

Just talked to hubby... He wants to know if there is some way to tell if he has a leak, or will he have to bleed the injectors?
Old 04-27-2006, 02:38 AM

DD, it does sound like there is a leak that is allowing air to "bleed" into the fuel system as the truck sits. I would have Hubby check the fuel filter, make sure its got the "o-ring" on it, and is good and snug. that would be the likely culprit.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by devildodge
Ok.... first off I just want to let everyone know that I am posting this for my husband so if I sound dumb, please forgive me. (He is the motorhead)!! OK, here goes. My husband has a 2000 CTD. A few weeks ago it started having problems starting. (It took a few sranks to get it to turn over. He thought it might be the fuel filter, so he replaced it. He went to start it.... and nothing. He got under there and messed with the air relief valve (?) and I cranked it and it started. We got home fine, but the next day nothing (unless he messes with that valve. He was thinking it might be the transfer pump. So I got him a new one today and when he got home from work and tried to replace it he found a silver box saying "Do not service. Fuel system has been modified from its original configuration." I guess my question does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks!!
Quick question. Once you get it started and go somewhere, will it start back up easy or does it have to crank at each start. If it is getting air into the system it will be more likely to give you trouble after sitting all night and not on short hops around town. If it is the "lift/transfer" pump. it will most likely give you trouble all the time. AND, BTW, you don't sound dumb.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:57 PM

Mrs. devildodge called me for advice and I did what I could. Fortunately for me I drive a truck with the correct number of valves, unfortunately for her and Mr. devildodge I could not help. She said he has been driving her truck for a while since the Dodge would not start. When this all happened he called me and was getting plenty of fuel to the filter, even dumped a bit because it was open when the lift pump flooded it. The truck has been sitting it just wont start. Hopefully someone with the right knowledge about these 24V trucks can help. Good luck Mr. and Mrs. devildoge.

Kevin
Old 04-27-2006, 04:47 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by DieselLady
Quick question. Once you get it started and go somewhere, will it start back up easy or does it have to crank at each start. If it is getting air into the system it will be more likely to give you trouble after sitting all night and not on short hops around town. If it is the "lift/transfer" pump. it will most likely give you trouble all the time. AND, BTW, you don't sound dumb.
I believe this is heading in the right direction.

Quick Reply: fuel intake problem???