HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Engine stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine stall

I have 2001 dodge ram 2500 diesel that cold it works perfect. when it warms up to about 160 degrees the engine will stall when put in to gear. We thought it was a torque converter lockup but just re did the whole transmission and new triple lock toque converter and still does it. Is it possible to have a bad injector pump.This has been going on for 2 months I really want to get this fixed.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Did it ever do that before the recent tranny work?
My 95 did that, until the trans shop adjusted the linkage from the trans to where the kickdown cable, tps and foot pedal cable meet. No problems since. If there was something else they did and didn't tell me about, then I don't know what else it could be.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 AM

No it is not the tranny that is where we started because we all thought it was TC lock up
Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM

dupf1

I was under the impression that some rebuild trans with a new triple lock toque converter that they get more pump pressure or a constant flow of tranny fluid. Try and start the truck in neutral and see if you get the stalling. You could be loosing voltage from the grid heaters and that would let the fuel shut down drop enuf to make the truck stall. I had a bad Battery and had a stalling and hesitation issue with my 95.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Don T
dupf1

I was under the impression that some rebuild trans with a new triple lock toque converter that they get more pump pressure or a constant flow of tranny fluid. Try and start the truck in neutral and see if you get the stalling. You could be loosing voltage from the grid heaters and that would let the fuel shut down drop enuf to make the truck stall. I had a bad Battery and had a stalling and hesitation issue with my 95.
It's an 01, no fuel shut off solenoid!.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM

When the truck stalls you can put it in neutral or park and turn the key it will start right up with no problem but put in gear and will stall only when the engine warm cold it never fails
Old 02-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dupf1
When the truck stalls you can put it in neutral or park and turn the key it will start right up with no problem but put in gear and will stall only when the engine warm cold it never fails
How does it run when warm and you get the truck moving? Are there any codes?

I'm guessing here, but if you are sure it's not the converter dragging the engine down than I would guess the governor in the pump is not catching the drop in RPM when you pop it in gear, letting the engine die out.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Hello all im a cummins forum newbie and in need of some assistance.Does anyone have a pic of th rear of a 24 valve head in a 98.5 Ram? I need to decifer the whereabouts of the frost plugs on the head.I beieve one had to have blown out and can i change it without pulling my head AGAIN.....
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rover68
Hello all im a cummins forum newbie and in need of some assistance.Does anyone have a pic of th rear of a 24 valve head in a 98.5 Ram? I need to decifer the whereabouts of the frost plugs on the head.I beieve one had to have blown out and can i change it without pulling my head AGAIN.....

Can't help you here with advice or pictures, but if I were you I would start your own thread here in the help section about the freeze plugs. You might get quicker advice!!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:42 PM

there are no codes and the trucks runs great the only issue is the shifting in to gear when it warms up
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

i have a 01 bought it 2 years ago and for the first two weeks it would die when i droped it into gear bout half the time. however it quit, i had my tranny rebuilt with good internals and a ATS 5 disc tc and its doing it again. we have tried everything swapped vbs, tcs, gone threw tranny 3 times and cant find anything. the kicker is it does not do it when its cold out, if the trucks cold it will but once truck has warmed up it doesnt die but all summer it dies bout 1 out of 5 times it put in gear. im lost also and if i had the cash would just pull the tranny and do a manual swap but i dont! O and i have also threw a set of 150hp injectors and 3 diff VPs at it !! i did find today on BD a APPS/TPS noise Isolator #1300030 and was wondering if that could help my problem? im also running a manual lockup switch.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:23 PM

and dupf1, when yours dies and you say you can throw it in park or N and it will start right back up will it go in gear fine? mine will after it dies and you re-start it the truck goes in gear without problem. mine always goes in gear hard but it shouldnt go in gear like it does and kill the truck im as lost at you i hope we figure somthing out soon
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 PM

no when the engine temp hits about 140 deg. then it will start acting up you can put it in N and start it again put in D or R and stall everytime. it is not the tranny we have now discovered, it has gotten a lot worse looking to be a bad injector pump.Stay tuned i will let you know what happens in the next week
Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 PM

ok well sounds like you have simmilar problems but not the same, like i said ive got new injectors, swapped vp44s and i have a 150gph air dog lift pump only thing i havent checked is fuel pressure but the truck runs fine and idles fine 99.9% of the time so idk whats goin on but im tired of it and want it fixed but let me know what you find out thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, some times when you have a Low Stall, Multi disc converter, and the fluid is COLD, as the clutch discs move past each other inside the converter and can catch. Cold tranny fluid is thick and sticky. As it warms up it becomes thinner and the clutches glide past each other without catching. So it is trying to go into lock up, in a sense. Your engine compression is also much lower when it is cold so it is prone to a stall if the fluid in the converter catches on another one. In a case like this, it is best to warm it up a bit before putting it in drive.
if you have an ATS converter I would call and explain it to them and see if they can help.
For the truck that does not die when cold, but does when warm. Do you put it into gear as soon as you start it? Sometimes the fluid will drain back into the pan and it takes a second or two for it to refill the converter. Then when it goes into gear it may do the stall thing like the previous explanation. Does it ever stop doing it once it gets up to operating temp?

Quick Reply: Engine stall