HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Dead Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dead Need Help.

The truck is still running but runs in limp mode and wont hardley get out of its own way & when you give it throtttle it bucks. I keep getting a reacuring code for boost voltage low and the companion code. I have change lift pumps 18psi idelin no lower that 12psi pulling hard change the apps and changed the map sensor. It ran for a week and then started acting up and threw the code again. So my question is could it be my injection pump on its way out or is my van aaken box taking a dirt nap? I am going too pull the box and put it all back too stock tonight and see what happens but I feel like I am going too be buying a vp44 soon.

P.S. If it was the vp then why would it have reprimed when I busted the fuel lines and the system open twice too do the lift pump?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
The truck is still running but runs in limp mode and wont hardley get out of its own way & when you give it throtttle it bucks. I keep getting a reacuring code for boost voltage low and the companion code. I have change lift pumps 18psi idelin no lower that 12psi pulling hard change the apps and changed the map sensor. It ran for a week and then started acting up and threw the code again. So my question is could it be my injection pump on its way out or is my van aaken box taking a dirt nap? I am going too pull the box and put it all back too stock tonight and see what happens but I feel like I am going too be buying a vp44 soon.

P.S. If it was the vp then why would it have reprimed when I busted the fuel lines and the system open twice too do the lift pump?
'01.5 doesn't have a "limp mode" .
pull the codes with a scanner and post the results, somebody can probably help
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You probaly have wiring issue or ECM going out. I had 2001 Ram diesel last week that had similar problem. Turned out to be ECM, replaced ECM and runs great. Oil pressure was reading 40 PSI not running and APP sensor was showing 18% Boost was showing volts low and no boost pressure. Pull codes and see what you have.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

So I wonder if the bolt came loose on the plug for the ecm from the washboard drive way. At least I can put a ecm in unlike the fuel pump.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

So lets toss this out I almost suspect that the code with the companion is a over boost. If it is a over boost code then would that mean the box is dead?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

So lets toss this out I almost suspect that the code with the companion is a over boost. If it is a over boost code then would that mean the box is dead?
the 1693 companion code is telling you there is a code set in the ECM... the codes you are reading are in the PCM, to access all the codes you have to read them with a code reader or scanner......... if I'm wrong, I'm sorry for the misinformation
Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Originally Posted by johnh
the 1693 companion code is telling you there is a code set in the ECM... the codes you are reading are in the PCM, to access all the codes you have to read them with a code reader or scanner......... if I'm wrong, I'm sorry for the misinformation
You sir are correct I was just wondering if I got the over boost one if it would be a sign that my box was failing. I just found my reader and will pull all the codes when I get home after work tonight and I will post the results.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:10 PM

i don't know about the Van Aaken ,but my edge comp supposedly has a boost fooler in it but i'm always getting an overboost code. but it doesn't affect performance
Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

So I have a regular low budget code reader and it is telling me that there is no codes stored but the check engine light is on and i still show the 0237 and 1693 code.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:50 PM

So I have a regular low budget code reader and it is telling me that there is no codes stored but the check engine light is on and i still show the 0237 and 1693 code.
p0237 is not over boost..... p0234 is.
237 is turbo charger boost sensor circuit A low
i'll do some research and see what i can come up with
Old 10-29-2008, 10:54 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Here is some history since you have really been stand up on this mess. Last month noticed some dead pedal and differnt fuel psi. So I changed the apps with the timbo unit and it ran great but the fuel psi did not change and was still not right for what is was normally. So I put a new fuel pump in it and it ran like top for a few weeks then finally the check engine light came on and I shown the 1693 and the 0237. Bought an installed a new map sensor and it ran for a week then the other night comin home with a load of cows the check engine light came on bucking and cutting out started again and then so did the cel light with the same darn codes as before.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"P0237 Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor A, TC system -
low input
Wiring short to earth, MAP sensor, ECM"

This is one definition I found. If you replaced the MAP sensor, the next thing I would do would be to look for shorts and loose wires from the Map to the ECM. Those wash-board roads can cause a lot of sneaky, little problems.

Good luck..............
Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

I think I might be on too somthing I took the connections off and found that the one from the ecm in too the piggy back from the box is soaked with diesel from when I changed the lift pump. One can only assume that it got down in too the wires and is causing the problem too come and go. So what would you guys recommend for a cleaner??
Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical contact cleaner leaves no oily residue. Ace hardware carries it.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Berrymans Chemtool is a good degreaser, but have to be sure that any plastic you spray does not melt. Don't get it on the paint either. It's pretty potent.........

Quick Reply: Dead Need Help.