HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Broke Down in Medicine Hat Alberta, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke Down in Medicine Hat Alberta, HELP!

First things first the truck is an 03 cummins with a 6 spd standard, after market air intake and exhaust and an edge juice with attitude chip. I was just about to location today and my truck started sputtering up a hill. I managed to limp it to where I was goin (2km down the road) and then it died again. It wouldnt fire up at all then about 5 min later it fired up. I drove it down the road and everything seemed normal until I hit fourth gear then it started to sputter and stall again. I got the truck started again and it died right away, it did this about 5 times before it would stay at idle. I limped it back to location and let it idle for an hour. I then shut it off, pulled the fuel filter (which only has like 2000km on it) and there was no signs of gelling what so ever. It ran fine for a few hours while I made the odd pass up the lease road then it all the sudden sputtered and died again but this time it would not fire back up. I pulled the filter immediately this time and again no gelling, and filter is clean. I smacked on the fuel tank with a wrench cause i have the stock replacement in tank lift pump and after cranking it over for a few seconds it fired up and is still idleing but is not driveable. The temperature here with windchill is probably close to -40 celsius but I do run a good antigel and I have a half tank of fuel still. Im guessing its the lift pump unless the fuel n the tank is gelled and the lift pump cant pick it up. Or I guess it could be something electrical but im doubting it. I did recently just pull a very heavy trailer for work and it felt like the truck was not putting out like it should. Any suggestions on things to check or does anyone know of a diesel performance shop in medicine hat alberta? I dont mind paying to get the work done for an aftermarket lift pump and fuel presure gauge but I need it done ASAP cause im out here for work and I live near Calgary. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
as a quick check, you can open the water drain valve,

cycle the key on, and the when the lift pump runs during the key on cycle, you can see how much fuel you should get.

i think it is around 16 oz (enough to fill a soda bottle) if you put a short peice of PVC on the drain tube and catch it.

thats IIRC, but at least it's a start.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stop guessing and put a fuel pressure gauge on it !! See what you actually have for fuel supply. Check your voltage supply to the tank pump maybe it is cutting out or going low due to a bad connection.
Their are fellow members up in that area send them a PM they should be able to tell you what is available in the area for supply's and service.

Another thought disconnect the fueling box and see if it will run correctly without it if you feel you have a good fuel supply.

Good luck break downs are no fun but they really suck in this cold weather.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. AMA towed it to a shop in medicine hat. The guy does performance work and seems to know his stuff pretty well so I will know tomorrow hopefully what is wrong.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Beefcake
Thanks for the replies. AMA towed it to a shop in medicine hat. The guy does performance work and seems to know his stuff pretty well so I will know tomorrow hopefully what is wrong.
Let us know what the outcome is please too many people come and ask for help and then do not follow threw we all learn more when the end result is known.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know a couple members here in Lethbridge... Too bad they didn't see this sooner. I have a couple shops in that town too that I can forward you to, but its a little late now...
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 AM

The truck is at Cranes Automotive in Medicine Hat. The guy fixing it seems to know these trucks quite well. He took the truck for a drive after being in a heated shop all night and the truck wouldn't act up at all. The fuel pressure was a bit low but not bad enough for it to die like it did. Maybe between having a weak pump and the fuel starting to gel, the pump just didnt have the suction to pick it up. He's installing an electronic fuel gauge for me and a FASS system. I would rather do it myself in my shop but givin the circumstances I just want my truck back and to be reliable. Thanks to the ppl who replied, appreciate it!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Check the wires on that chip real close (or take it off) I have herd of lots of problems with edje chips that have been installed for a long time.
James
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Wink

The thing I liked most about Medicin Hat was seeing it in my rear view mirror - especially from November til April.