HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

03 Ram 5.9 No Start No Communication

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Ram 5.9 No Start No Communication

I need this truck in the next week and a half for work and have a few things to get done yet but need it running first. Just purchased this as a no runner, initial check showed No Gauges, Heater, Power Windows, No radio, No fuel delivery and no communication with the ECM. Jiggling the key returned some functions so replaced the ignition switch, Windows, Heater and Radio now work and Speedometer and Tack now do their little jump with key on. Still no Communication with ECM, No Fuel gauge, No Volt Meter and no fuel delivery. Key method will not work to retrieve codes however Trip odometer will give hours and gauge test (All Gauges Functioning in test) C Codes given say not receiving messages from PCM and ACM (Had airbag fuses out to change ignition switch) I have been plugging away at grounds and wire connectors, checked fuses and switched around relays with no luck so far. I'm suspecting the ECM but would like to prove it out before replacing it. Any fresh ideas would be appreciated
I should add the truck had sat for about a year after he trashed the transmission (NV4500). Prior to transmission issue seller had replaced the injector pump and injectors, had an Edge Tuner and the truck reportedly ran fine. Seller started to remove the tuner when he had the no start then I think his wife made him give it up. I finished removal to start from square 1 and this is where we sit now.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I think you answered your own question. You need to put tuner back or perform edge tuner removal procedure to reset ecm.
The following users liked this post:
Dark Side (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 PM

I'm not really familiar with Tuners and wasn't aware there was a proper removal procedure. The previous owner had already removed everything but the data link plug and what I believe to be the exhaust temperature probe. I was thinking along the line it acted up while it was already installed
Old 07-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Ok Googled removal procedure and reinstalled the Tuner and its saying not communicating with Juice, Re checked all connections and this time unplugged main harness to Edge Box. Found some of that evil green stuff inside the main plug and noticed one end of the box was starting to get warm. Going to have to pick up some electronic contact cleaner in the morning and try again.
If its the tuner its self that went bad causing all this mess what are my options? Re flash ECM?