Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Who changes there own oil? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/who-changes-there-own-oil-192276/)

PoorMansCat 02-22-2008 09:01 AM

I do all my vehicles, except for the jet skis. I really trust the dealership that services them for me. I make my son (17 years old) do his own with my supervision. The "bag trick" on the oil filter works extremely well. I've got a 5 gal. bucket cut down to where it clears the oil pan by about 1 inch, and the bucket still has the handle on it. I pour the old oil back into the gallon containers and all the old oil goes back to where I work to be put into the recycle tank.

Diesel Demon 02-22-2008 09:04 AM

Do my own oil changes. Baldwin oil filter 9 dollars and oil is 2.50 a liter x 10 liters.

JPR Ram 02-22-2008 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by indianrefining (Post 1960441)
Did you ever take used oil in and ask for your core deposit? I had some kid at Advance Auto Parts so flustered one day that he didn't know what to say! [laugh]

ROFLMAO.....Now that there is funny!!!!!

Dracula 02-22-2008 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by indianrefining (Post 1960441)
Did you ever take used oil in and ask for your core deposit? I had some kid at Advance Auto Parts so flustered one day that he didn't know what to say! [laugh]

[laugh][laugh] I'll have to remember to do that next time. [laugh][laugh]

sewman 02-24-2008 02:15 PM

I always have done my own maintenece & have found the best way if I'm not in a hurry is to do it when I get home from work & let it drain all night,then the oil in the filter is down almost 1/2 way.
Then I get a rebate on my oil
I let it set for a while & dump it back in the truck,heck @ $3.50+ a gallon it's $7.00+ of fuel,I know what ur thinkin it'll plug ur filters,well I have run 15K on it & usually try to change every 10K but it's a 98 12v & a b*&^ to get to.
I also run alot of used oil from friends cars too.

1BAD4X4 02-24-2008 09:59 PM

I honestly don't know very many people who don't change their own fluids. As many others have said... you just can't trust most places. Wether it comes to knowledge or attention to detail.

jppost 02-25-2008 01:05 PM

Do my own oil changes. Baldwin oil filter 9 dollars and oil is 2.50 a liter x 10 liters.
have you ever had problems with oil pressure using baldwin filters? i worked on a Signature Series isx 600 with really low oil pressure customer had baldwin oil filters on it threw new ones on same problem around 15psi when the oil was warm put a cat filter and it jumped up to 56psi

shrmpboatcptn 02-26-2008 08:13 AM

my brothers girlfriend used to take her brand new gmc yukon to wal-mart to get the oil changed. that is until they forgot to put oil back in it on 2 seperate occasions. its ok though. she got them to pay for a new engine somehow

AEmedic 02-26-2008 08:54 AM

I normally do my own, in the CTD I let the dealer do it because I have a lifetime oil change and I intend to use it for MANY years!

waldersha 02-26-2008 09:00 AM

Change my own too, always have. The only one I don't like to change all that much is my wife's Jetta, but I do it as well. About to start changing the oil on my FIL's 05 Cummins too. He finally decided that the dealership charges too much for doing it after I told him I'd do it for him much cheaper. Only been telling him for the last 8 years.

Take my old stuff (except for the Jetta) to the local fire department. They use an oil burner furnace.

mj007 02-26-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by AEmedic (Post 1966990)
I normally do my own, in the CTD I let the dealer do it.....

Just make sure that they're getting the joint on the front driveshaft, too ... a lot of dealers around here don't have a clue about that one [duhhh]

GalenEdgewood 02-27-2008 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by mj007 (Post 1967248)
Just make sure that they're getting the joint on the front driveshaft, too ... a lot of dealers around here don't have a clue about that one [duhhh]

I still can't find the danged thing. I look, and I look, but I've had no luck finding it at all.

AEmedic 02-27-2008 09:17 AM

I mentioned it yesterday and they claim that it isn't there...