Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Who changes there own oil? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/who-changes-there-own-oil-192276/)

buddy26 02-15-2008 11:52 AM

Who changes there own oil?

Who changes there own oil, and do you really save enough doing it yourself, and how do you do it?(not a trick ?)[laugh] do you use the drain plug or suck it through the dipstick tube(also not a trick ?[laugh])

96_12V 02-15-2008 12:01 PM

When I have a place to do it, I do it myself, typically about $45 - 50 depending upon oil cost, and if I buy Fleetgard filters from a Case dealer, I save a few dollars there also. Our local dealer charges $89.95 for this service with oil & filter. Just remember to pull out the grease gun while you're under there and grease that suspension up.

bnold 02-15-2008 12:03 PM

I change my own oil... Always have...

skynyrd 02-15-2008 12:08 PM

i always change my own oil i just don't trust the people at oil change places, order my filters from genos. i buy my oil by the 3 gallon case for 28 bucks at sam's club.

Bosshawg600 02-15-2008 12:14 PM

I always change my oil. Dont realy trust many other people to touch my truck. I got one of those petcock valves on my drain plug which works wonders!

smokin 5.9 02-15-2008 12:15 PM

change my own too. always also. don't like someone else doin it That way I know what's goin on under my truck. Cost is a little cheaper.

smokin95 02-15-2008 12:21 PM

Always have changed my own because i dont trust many other people touching my motor.. Quik lube is actually a lil bit cheaper than doing it at home... but i still would rather do it myself!

JeepManIowa 02-15-2008 12:23 PM

Change my own also. Cheap insurance. Plus it's a time saver.
By the time I would take my truck to an oil change place (dealer or otherwise), I could have it changed and saved a little bit of money.

For those that have somebody else change theirs. No biggee. It's all what a person is comfortable with. Somethings I tackle myself, and other things I leave to the professionals.

Later,

Bob

klx650a2 02-15-2008 12:25 PM

I change my own oil, the company trucks got the oil changed at the quickie lube place and they stripped out the transmission bolt and 2 drain plugs. Nothing like having someone under the vehicle and feeling the truck moving around and then hearing "whoops!!"...[dummy]

TreeFarm 02-15-2008 12:31 PM

I would have no objection to a professional mechanic changing my oil for me, but I have yet to locate one of those in any quickie lube joint. On the other hand, I have found stoners, ex burger joint help, along with upsellers and other high pressure types. Not for me.

The dealer is too far, and besides, I prefer to do it myself.

ofcmarc 02-15-2008 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by buddy26 (Post 1947573)
do you use the drain plug or suck it through the dipstick tube(also not a trick ?[laugh])

Say What?

Change my own.

mwlu711 02-15-2008 12:34 PM

i change my oil not save money but so i know its done right.and i use the drain plug

PoorMansCat 02-15-2008 12:35 PM

Same here, do it myself because I don't trust anybody else to do it. Nobody cares about your stuff as much as you do. Can't answer about cost savings because its never been a consideration.

hamilton71801 02-15-2008 12:38 PM

I change mine own on all my vehicles, I just don't trust anyone plus it gives me time to give the ole girl the once over. I buy gallon jugs and just dump all 3 gallons in so I don't have to worry about left overs and I've never had any problems doing so.

One trick I do is to take the air clener hose off so you can have a clean shot at the oil filter. Now, loosen the filter and then place a plastic bag (I use Wal-Mart bags) over the filter and then screw it off. This way, if any oil spills, and it will, there will be little mess.

wurkenman 02-15-2008 12:40 PM

I do all my own work. I use Amsoil also, so Its easier to get it all done at home