General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

took a LBZ and cummins out on a test drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we found another "he man" in the crowd. You know the type...

Oh, I can take it all right, there Sonny. Just let me get my walker. I run a 50 minute 10K. Pretty good for a man my age.

It peeves me off to see/hear people drive like idiots with these trucks. Or talk like they drive like idiots. Ya follow me ? No need for that. Give some people a truck and they think they own the road. Bad. They think the speed limit is for the geeks. The real men drive in the fast line with the hammer down. Yeah. OK.

You make fun of me now. Sure. Wait till someone you know is killed in a vehicle accident and we'll see how you feel towards reckless use of a vehicle. Ever seen a family grieve for 3 days when someone they love is snatched from their lives instantaneously for no good reason ? Because someone thought he was king **** and could drive his big truck whatever the hell speed he wanted because it was a free country ? Or maybe because he ran a red light thinking he was safe with all that steel around him.

Like I said before, go check out the logging truck head on post at TDR. There is always a truck bigger than yours on the road. Picture yourself or your wife in that wheelchair and then tell me if it is still cool to drive your diesel like a madman. Or make fun of someone who drives conservatively. Maybe some day you will have a wife and kids in the minivan that becomes an unfortunate victim and then it won't be so hip to show off by passing everyone.

There is no such thing as an accident. That ram wasn't accidentally in the wrong lane when it hit the logging truck. He doesn't remember the accident and I don't know him from Adam but the police said he was in the wrong lane when the accident occurred. I am not saying he was a bad driver, but a little bit of care might have found him in the right lane.

Exactly how much time do you save on the trip driving like a madman ? 20 minutes ? The head on driver can't part out his engine because he can't walk yet. Still in a hurry ?

I liked diesels and diesel owners a lot more before they became cool. Now we get the tough guys that just have to lift them to the sky and drag race to prove their stuff. It used to be a family oriented crowd, back in the day. The RVers. Happy to be able to pull 10K and get some fuel economy. Admirers of the machine.

Now its become populated with the diesel owner show offs. Bigger/higher/faster is all they know. More power. If it don't smoke black it ain't right.

But when it fails, they are the first guys in the non modded forums asking for advice on getting warranty from the dealer.

Hopefully this crowd finds diesels a fad and they move on.

Oh yeah.. my mongrel. I'm pretty proud of that truck. You can't buy one like that. It takes courage and talent and know how and sweat to build one. Its like an old first gener. There isn't anything cooler than an old first gener in sparkling condition. You know the owner knows his truck. You know the truck has been taken care of. It wasn't abused and neglected. Those trucks have character. A big bank loan can't get you that. You have to earn it.

My mongrel might be a POS to you. But I love it and thats what counts.

Peace.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my two cents, all of our diesels are mongrels, no one makes thier own engines.

As for trannys i run an auto, mainly cause my knees are bad i cant shift. As far as pulling and working thier butt off the standard probably has the advantage as it raises the torque level by the fact it has a lower gear, not to mention it allows engine to run a bit cooler without having to use a heat exchanger.

Now as far as drag racing.. fact stock equal trucks that dmax is going eat a cummins lunch. A inline six biggest advantage is torque and long life, the dmax hasnt really proved long life yet, but it very well may. The v series engines can rev higher and without extensive mods it will outrun everytime.

Now that being said, i think the CTD is a far better engine.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:41 AM

[/QUOTE]Oh yeah.. my mongrel. I'm pretty proud of that truck. You can't buy one like that. It takes courage and talent and know how and sweat to build one. Its like an old first gener. There isn't anything cooler than an old first gener in sparkling condition. You know the owner knows his truck. You know the truck has been taken care of. It wasn't abused and neglected. Those trucks have character. A big bank loan can't get you that. You have to earn it.

My mongrel might be a POS to you. But I love it and thats what counts.

Peace.[/QUOTE]

I'm not even going to begin to take sides on this post, because either way you look at the "speed" part...i would be contradicting(sp?) myself. Yes i've speeded at times (when has an 18 year old boy NOT at one point or another?), but i see both sides. Usually try to run the speed limit here in Kentucky... but if its an emergency with a family member WATCH THE HELL OUT!!!

But...anyway what i was going to say was...I agree with Superduty 100% as far as his truck goes!!! I respect a man that branches off and does somethin different, and not following in everyone else's footsteps. That takes alot of planning, hard work, trial and error.... alot of "start over and move to plan B sort of thing"! I'm planning on building a 72 Chevy 4x4 with a Cummins powerplant. Is this a MONGREL??? This takes alot of dedication, planning, busted knuckles, fab. skills, and a whole lot of other s*** to build a one of a kind sort of thing truck!!! It ain't something money can buy and not EVERYONE has what YOU got!!! If Superduty did the research, took the time to work on HIS OWN truck, and didn't pay someone to do it all for him...then I for one congratulate him! And i would hope any RESPECTABLE truck enthusiast will look at my future creation one day and give me my hard earned credit that i deserve, for what i have taken the time, sweat, blood, and money to create a very capable and not so "everyday truck". And not refer to it as a D*** MONGREL!!!!

My $.02!

A.Y.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 AM

Ya cant buy a Mongrel off the showroom floor (yet).No question they would sell them as fast as they could build 'em.I think S.D, has done a hell of a job with his truck.Sweet ride for sure.Lots of guys would give their left leg for a rig like that,but then i suppose they couldnt shift the six speed that dosent require the upgrades the automatics do to hold the power of a modded truck.For dedicated drag racing no doubt the auto has the edge if you have the $4,000,00/$5,000.00 to throw at it.That money will buy a whole lot of engine mods,twins come to mind for one,and the manual can hold the power,although an aftermarket clutch would be in order To each their own.Mark.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, this is way off topic.....But Superduty, I am impressed as hell!! I have always been the "do it myself" type. I have done all sorts of engine, chassis, and suspension swaps and mods, but I feel like a next to your accomplishment!! How you ever managed to get all of the electronics to work I'll never know. I would love to have that kind of knowledge!! My hat goes off to you!!

All I am going to say about the speeding, towing, etc. I think it is safe to say that we have all been guilty at one time in our lives. An at times I love to "drop the hammer" It might be in my truck, or my 1970 Charger R/T, or even my uncles 100K AWD Porshe thing. When I do I at least exercise SOME judgment on when and where!!

Now back to the thread----I don't doubt that the 360HP/650FT/LB truck will out accelerate the 325/610 truck-you do the math, it all makes sense to me. And who really cares? You buy what makes you happy---or build it if your name is Superduty!!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty
Like I said before, go check out the logging truck head on post at TDR.... That ram wasn't accidentally in the wrong lane when it hit the logging truck. He doesn't remember the accident and I don't know him from Adam but the police said he was in the wrong lane when the accident occurred. I am not saying he was a bad driver, but a little bit of care might have found him in the right lane..
Before that, you said...

Check out the pictures of the head on with the logging truck in this forum. That is what happens to the hot shots with the big power and the big attitude on the road.
You might not know the guy from Adam, and though I don't know him personally, I know enough from reading his posts, and hearing about him, to know that he's one of those "Good People" you want to be associated with.

My money is that he merely had a lapse of attention, and drifted. You can BE SURE that if he was being a "hot shot" and showing off, the traffic that stopped would have been quick to point that out.

Can you honestly say that you've NEVER, once, drifted into another lane, your direction or oncoming? I can't. He could have just as easily drifted into the right lane of a 4-lane, which would have likely done no harm. But, it didn't.

You implying that Dan is somehow an irresponsible hot shot with a big attitude is truly deplorable, and whether or not YOU know him, some people do, and you owe them, and Dan, an apology.

That said, I've got 250,000 miles on my CTD and it still runs like a champ... Let's see how all these 4000rpm+ engines are doing with this milage.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:53 AM

i have seen to many times the ones pulling at the speed limit and losing on the hills become more of the accident hazard than the risky driver

if one wants to pull 10k at the speed limit, all three will almost get you there with stock parts, nothing else needed... why did you do what you have done?

i always like to be on the positive side of the speed limit, usually tow at 70mph, sometimes even faster, and need the extra power to maintain mileage and tq over the hills...

i just could not see towing with the extra hp and not using it, what a waste of your money and time

now back on topic::

the Allison had a neat little Manuel shift button on the shifter, if one would like to stay in a certain gear rather than shifting down or up we both thought was a neat idea for holding shifts

this duramax grabbed rubber off the start to give an indication of the quick spool up
Old 01-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
OK, everybody out of the Pool.
15 minute break.........

We will not tolerate "Full-Contact-Posting" on our forum.
Keep it civil, or take it to another website.

The Management.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:24 PM

In the words of a great American..."can't we all just get along?" LOL. Terry.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:18 AM

I apologize Shovelhead - but I felt it needed to be said.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Oh, I can take it all right, there Sonny. Just let me get my walker. I run a 50 minute 10K. Pretty good for a man my age.
I'll soon be 47, and can run 2 miles in under 12 minutes, and 5 miles in under 36 minutes, but I thought this was about trucks!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

Kudos, HDMax. It is about the trucks. The better shape we stay in the longer we can enjoy our trucks. Most our recreational trips with the Superduty are for hiking, skiing, kayaking, etc. I don't know what I would do without that truck. I'd be lost.

Sorry for being off topic.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Every one is doing a drag racing comparison. If you want to see which truck is truly top dog lets hook em to the sled.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
FAY

LBZ and 5.9 L output

Originally Posted by RadRam
Superduty

Hey Gramps - You can give it but sure cant take it.
Seem to go out of your way to knock every brand but your (MONGREL)
Read a few of your old lecturing posts - you seem to like to go off on your self righteous rants - Freds posts & comments are at least humourous
The present comparison is somewhat pointless in reality. The 5.9 L Cummins is supposed to produce as much power from its smaller displacement than the 6.6 L LBZ. Why not wait until the 6.7 L Cummins is powering the Dodge trucks and then do a comparison. Then all you Dodge people should try to not get a swelled head. The Duramax fellows are just trying to grab a bit of glory while they can for a short time. Duramax will be sucking the hind teat eventially.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:22 PM

This is how i see it:

The D-Max has proven to be a decent motor. I know of people with them, and no real problems yet. BUT; if you want a diesel for hauling, longevity, and mileage; then there is NO comparison to the Cummins. V-8 Diesels just arent made to have the down low torque that an I-6 does. If the Cummins wasnt the best, then no one would be comparing their engines too it, but everyone compares to the Cummins which implies that Its generally considered the best motor out there in a light truck. Im glad everyone drives different truck's or this world would be very boring. So maybe the new D-Max will outpull the CTD in a drag race up hill. The factory has just tuned it up more than dodge has turned up the Cummins. If Dodge felt like it, and wanted to build the drivetrain to hold it; a 450hp/100tq cummins would be no problem. They can all run good, but for how long is the question. Get those 2 trucks again, put the D-Max in 6th manually, and keep the CTD in overdrive, and hit a big long hill with both in overdrive at about 1500rpm's, and see which truck walks on by the other. The D-max only holds a candle if it is cranking the RPM's way up there. The Cummins can loaf along all day at 1600rpm's. Like i said. Im glad everyone drives something different, and I am biased toward the Cummins I-6 motor. Everyone has different needs. If you want a 200k mile motor for driving around town, and a great ride, then the
D-Max might be for you. If you want a truck with a motor built for 500k miles of hauling, and abuse, and dont mind a little rougher ride with more stable load handling characteristics, buy the Cummins. If you want a mix of the 2, buy a 7.3 Powerstroke, and if you want a good boat anchor; well i wont go there. Anyways. If the next guy is happy with what he drives then i am happy for him because i am happy with what i drive.

Eric

Quick Reply: took a LBZ and cummins out on a test drive