Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Tire Poll which would you use? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/tire-poll-would-you-use-102154/)

Fronty Owner 05-08-2006 07:17 PM

hard pack trails, lots of rock, perhaps some shallow (<20") of mud?
Deep soupy mud, questionable bottoms, uneven/off camber operation?

The BFGs look like they will be better for the first case above
the Intercos have lots of side bite and will probably dig nicely in mud.

Tiny 05-08-2006 08:08 PM

I have the BFG M/Ts in 255/85, and they are not bad. I will never go with M/Ts again. Really have to wind the Cummins to get them to clean out, ride is not that great, and they stink in slick conditions. Next time I will go back to the BFG A/T in 285/75, one of the best all around tires on the road. If you spend a lot of time in the muck, the M/Ts will do the job, but be prepared to run the big C tight most of the time to keep moving. These trucks are too danged heavy to see serious mud time, IMO.

DR3500 05-08-2006 09:51 PM

I would pick the BFG's over the thornbirds but I won't run either. I currently have BFG's in a 35/12.5R 17 and they refuse to stay balanced, I have 32k. on them and they probably can go another 5-10k., but I am done with them. I have a set of Toyo's on order.

SmokeyBear 05-09-2006 02:24 AM

Would a set of those Centrimatic balancers or balance beads that you put inside the tires help to keep these babies balanced?

H2SRDMB 05-09-2006 05:44 PM

between the 2 i would go bfg.. but i always prefer the big o bigfoot xt`s. cant beat the no hassel i tore it open on a rock while full throttle up the hill to the supply mine! i think between me and 3 friends. we have only paid for 2 tires in 8 years. tread get low.... time to find a rocky trail! [whistle]

Chrisreyn 05-11-2006 03:59 PM

I've been running the same set of BFG A/T's for 3 years and am just now replaceing them. I love'em..
Not getting them again due to a shortage of funds( got Kuhmo's for about 60$ less per tire...) but if I had a choice I would buy them again in a heart beat.

Pipes 05-11-2006 04:58 PM

I had interco Truxus m/t that never balanced. over 15 oz on one rim and it still was out. I had them replaced in less then a week of driving, they only stayed on for a week because it took a week to get the replacements in.

Pipes 05-11-2006 04:59 PM

I had beads installed, they never balanced.

Knuckle Head 05-11-2006 05:30 PM

I ran the BFG MT's on my old Chevy and they did great on road, and off, they were really good in the sand and mud, I went places in two drive others were slipping in 4WD. they did start to get really loud at about 15-18k miles, the tire whine got annoying. I ended up selling the truck and tires seperatley, there was still some tread left at about 25k just really noisy, but still worked pretty good in the sand.

I have no experience personally with interco tires, I have heard they are really soft and wear really fast, and real expensive, but work well in the mud, and sand.

robert chilton 05-11-2006 07:43 PM

Check out the Kuhmos. They are doing awsome on my 12v. I ran BF mud terrains in high school and they are good of road. Suck on the road. Handle so so and spinning will wear them out in 5 seconds. Not to mention they started to put less plys in them [verymad]

chadwick 05-11-2006 11:43 PM

I would definitly the BFGs over the Thornterds. I have run both. The thornbirds with seperate and throw lugs and they noisy and rough. But even though they look like they would suck in the mud they hold there own. But the BFGs would be a much better choice,considering how long they will last,how quiet they are compared to the thornbirds and they ride pretty decent to

Hdmax 05-12-2006 10:38 AM

Of those two choices, I'd have to say the BFG`s. And they will out last the thornbirds. (Probably 2-1!)

Herr Diesel 05-12-2006 10:49 AM

BFG vs Interco...

I dont think make BFG in 17" or "E" load range for Dodge's.
Dont know anything about Interco...

I have a friend that runs General Grabber A2's in a 17" & in "E" load range for 3/4 tons...They seem pretty tough tire he puts his pick up through a lot offroad..

Pipes 05-12-2006 05:46 PM

Interco Truxus are "E" Range, but IMHO they are a pile of crap.

TxDiesel007 05-12-2006 08:22 PM

Man

this one is a no brainer, BFG all teh way, i have a friend who ran thornbirds on his 3/4 ton, they didnt last but 12K miles, they are super soft rubber all around, plus i have a friend who has them on a K5 blazer, they are loud, bulky and just plain bite on the highway...

If you want an interco tire? go with the Super Swamper SSR....

Rick