Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Smokin' hot triple-axle fifthwheel! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/smokin-hot-triple-axle-fifthwheel-274495/)

AggieJustin 07-30-2010 03:54 PM

I'm going to guess the newer rigs are set up better, but I've got an old '88 Prowler with some scary looking wiring. I had some trouble with the rear marker/tail lights one time and I wasn't getting any power to any of the sockets. I traced the wires all the way along the frame rail, up the point that they disappeared into the walls. Once I pulled some of the siding off, I discovered a junction that was just placed unprotected in the wall covered in insulation, or should I was "was once covered in insulation". It had turned into a big melted ball with a few marks on the wood framing. Something had shorted and melted the wire nuts and coating on the wires. I guess the insulation was the only thing that saved it from turning into a house fire on wheels.

SOhappy 07-30-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by whiteeye42 (Post 2812716)
that is all i did was copy and paste what the owner said in their comment sorry if i stepped on anybody toes it was not intended towards anybody in here.

Thanks for posting it, glad to hear nobody got hurt. Always nice to know the rest of the story.

Homestead 07-30-2010 06:03 PM

In a situation like that, not having the pain and suffering of burns and injury is way cheaper than saving it, let it burn. Sheet metal and rubber is replaceable.

I've seen to many people over the years paying the consequences of trying to save something only to lose it anyways in the end.

Jeff

Rednecktastic 07-31-2010 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 2812556)
It looks as if he just copied and pasted the owner of the rv's remarks from another forum, I dont think it was intended towards DTR.

Sucks though, really sucks. Its a lose lost situation, let the truck go up in flames, or release the kingpin and bang up the bed and no telling what else how bad gettin out from under it.

A new bed is much cheaper than the depreciation that truck would face totalled out.

Diesel_Storm 08-01-2010 09:07 PM

That is a sad sight to see right there. Hopefully they were able to save the truck at least.

The FD that I run for was dispatched on a mutual aid call earlier this evening, for an RV on fire near a barn.

Rampage1967 08-01-2010 11:51 PM

The more I think about it, the more I agree with the people who said let the truck burn.
The truck is not worth the owner's life.

Rednax 09-09-2010 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967 (Post 2814130)
The more I think about it, the more I agree with the people who said let the truck burn.
The truck is not worth the owner's life.

It's a Ford . . how long did you think?

SOhappy 09-09-2010 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rednax (Post 2838045)
It's a Ford . . how long did you think?

Ummm....looks like a 4th gen Dodge to me.

Rednax 09-14-2010 08:17 PM

Rat's . . I tried

cincydiesel 09-14-2010 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark (Post 2812556)
Its a lose lost situation, let the truck go up in flames, or release the kingpin and bang up the bed and no telling what else how bad gettin out from under it.

Not as bad as you think.. I dropped one on its nose a couple of years ago. I was hauling a friends toy hauler when the gear sheared on the self leveling jacks. Soon as the I pulled away from the trailer after setting up it feel on the bed. Minor damage to the tailgate and the bed actually held up with out a dent. Had to get a pair of clean underwear though[laugh]

Regardless, I would have pulled the pin and let her fall on her face. Then again they may have had a king pin catcher.

Blake Clark 09-14-2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel (Post 2841176)
Then again they may have had a king pin catcher.

Ive seen those. Not too smart of an idea.

At least I dont think so. Id take my chances trying to yank out from under it. With one of those, your outta luck.