General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Looking for good Mechanic near Salem, Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Mechanic (Updated) near Salem, Oregon

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic for my 99 Cummins in Salem, Oregon or near to it? My truck seems to be losing power and is getting poor mileage. The Salem dealer want $89.95 per hour and I really don’t known if this is a best place to take the truck to. I should say I am willing to take the truck further, say within 80 miles or so if necessary to find a real good shop. It is hard enough paying close to $100.00 per hour and then get ripped off by some dealer or mechanic shop.

Update:

Here is why I am considering taking my truck into a professional mechanic. Several years ago, I did a very stupid thing a burnt up my automatic transmission in my 99 Dodge Cummins at around 35,000 miles. Didn't put enough transmission fluid in it after servicing it. The professional transmission shop totally rebuilt the transmission, put in a shift kit and a larger transmission cooler. After getting the truck out of the shop, the wife and my sons that drive the truck mostly noticed that it just didn’t have the same amout of power off the line or get up and go as before the rebuilt. I noticed also that the truck wasn’t getting the same fuel mileage as before. The mileage dropped about three to four miles per gallon. Will, I must have taken the truck back to the transmission shop who rebuilt it a half dozen times or more complaining about this issue. Each time the truck checked out OK, electronics and mechanically.

Finally I took the truck to a different transmission shop and they told me that sometimes if the plates are not just prefect ( off a couple of thousands) you will get this above problem. Nothing could really be done he said unless I wanted to spend a lot of money to change it out. The truck wasn’t really that bad so I been living with it. I would just like to have my old truck back before I brunt up the transmission! I am talking about that I could almost squeal the tires from a stop with my 99 Dodge diesel before this trouble. The tuck now has 75,000 miles on it and wonder if this is something I just going to have to live with?

Thanks Chuck

Last edited by Chuck; 10-21-2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Why I am need your help (updated)
Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Morning Chuck!

If you would fill out your signature and let us all know a little more about your truck we could better serve you that would be awesome. Any who welcome to DTR. OK back to your truck has it felt like its had a dead pedal or any thing like that? do you have a CEL light on? and when or if you have change the lift pump? Couple things could be goin on if your down on power is the lift pump is getting ready to take a dirt nap on your and its loosing power or its the lift pump and the injection pump taking a dirt nap and surging and having a dead pedal and looseing power. If you have the codes pulled 0216 is the death code for the injection pump.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Source Automotive seems to get pretty good reviews from the locals over at NW Bombers. They are 50 miles away from you in Milwaukie, OR. Might be worth a call to see what they have to say.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:36 PM
CJ

I'll second Rip at Source Automotive. Very helpfull. I got a set of Jammer III's from him this summer and was very happy with the service.
CJ