Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Fords on Fire (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/fords-fire-142820/)

MegaRam 03-21-2007 06:54 PM

Fords on Fire (Major 2008 Recall)

Ford is recalling 37,000 2008 6.4 Super duty trucks because the tail pipes are catching on fire......

Dealers have been told to hold sales of the new trucks till "NEW SOFTWARE CAN BE INSTALLED"

We may just see one of the big three go under........:cool:

mikmaze 03-21-2007 07:00 PM

Happen to have a link to this? large claim without a link...... and honestly, the only one that looses in this if one of the big 3 goes down is us, the consumer, less competition, therefore less incentive to build em better.

MegaRam 03-21-2007 07:01 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/21/news...d_recall.reut/

Ford recalls 37,000 Super Duty trucks
Diesel truck version reportedly cause tailpipe fires; owners should bring vehicles to dealerships for repair.
March 21 2007: 7:27 PM EDT

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday...

copyrighted material removed

MegaRam 03-21-2007 07:03 PM

I dont talk B.S...........:cool:

MegaRam 03-21-2007 07:05 PM

Over twelve billion in losses ...
Fighting as we speak with Navistar over the 6.0 warranty payments
Navistar "Had" the new engines on hold, till this issue was cleared up.....

Now with the big early release of the 6.4 ford gets a major recall and all sales put on hold........

They are hurting.......[duhhh]

mikmaze 03-21-2007 07:10 PM

never raised the bs flag, just good to see you linked the article....... cuts the doubt, right away, and eliminates back and forth arguing.

MegaRam 03-21-2007 07:16 PM

mikmaze,
Yup thats cool.........:cool:
And I could not agree with you more... If we lose them ... we all lose!

truckjunkie 03-21-2007 07:45 PM

They're already having a FIT about this over on The Diesel Stop. I couldn't remember if it was a no-no or not to post links to those Dieselstop.com threads, so I didn't...

Admins, if it's OK to post, I'll edit this and post some of the threads. If not - everyone can go over there at their leisure and look under the 6.4L forum.

Joe Diesel 03-21-2007 07:48 PM

The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.

The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said.

so lemme get this straight if your towing up a steep grade with say 6000lbs load and the "system" detects high temps the vehicle will power down[dummy] wow thats a great solution[eyecrazy]

Ms. Cleo 03-21-2007 07:55 PM

What sort of flames are we talking about here?

I would think that the solution would be to charge $1000 for the option to shoot flames out on command...

BearKiller 03-21-2007 07:59 PM

My thoughts exactly; sit by the side of the road and read a novel, then go another hundred yards.

madhat 03-21-2007 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller (Post 1420093)

My thoughts exactly; sit by the side of the road and read a novel, then go another hundred yards.

With a hint of caution not to turn this into the ford bashing thread that I want to, That stinks!! Glad I don't drive a F word...[duhhh]

ratat98 03-21-2007 08:06 PM

Wouldn't it be a little safer to just pollute the air a little more and take the particulate filter out?

Ms. Cleo 03-21-2007 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ratat98 (Post 1420107)
Wouldn't it be a little safer to just pollute the air a little more and take the particulate filter out?

Stacks would probably be the safest of all worlds...

ratat98 03-21-2007 08:12 PM

Now that would be cool to have stacks come as a factory option

trev6971 03-21-2007 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ratat98 (Post 1420107)

Well said, of course if we did that we would gain power and use less fuel and the government would not be happy about that now would they? Besides we all know Diesels pollute way more than gasoline crappers![laugh]

gerry 03-21-2007 08:21 PM

According to the article it is the Particulate filter that is over heating... I wonder if the other manufacturers are going to have the same problem.. I would think that the particulate filters would all work about the same way..

Filter starts to get clogged and it goes into regen mode, A high heat mode to burn the particulates...

Do all the PF's go to the same temp????

Gerry

ratat98 03-21-2007 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by gerry (Post 1420144)
According to the article it is the Particulate filter that is over heating... I wonder if the other manufacturers are going to have the same problem.. I would think that the particulate filters would all work about the same way..

Filter starts to get clogged and it goes into regen mode, A high heat mode to burn the particulates...

Do all the PF's go to the same temp????

Gerry

So the whole point of a particulate filter is to catch the particles in the exhaust, but it just ends up burning them when it gets clogged anyways?? Does that sound kinda useless to anyone else? [duhhh]

Beeram305 03-21-2007 08:26 PM

Wow, those new Fords are HOT!!! [laugh] [dummy]

annabelle 03-21-2007 08:49 PM

Try working on one. You will really be on fire if you are paying for it.

spunbearing 03-21-2007 08:51 PM

It'll be about a month before we start hearing about lawsuits because people are getting T-boned when their truck " powers down".

HorseHauler 03-21-2007 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel (Post 1420070)
The software upgrade will reset the powertrain control module on the Ford trucks. In cases where the system detects unusually high temperatures in the diesel particulate filter, the control module will power down the vehicle.

The aim is to allow drivers to pull safely to the side of the road to allow it to cool before proceeding, Jarvis said.

so lemme get this straight if your towing up a steep grade with say 6000lbs load and the "system" detects high temps the vehicle will power down[dummy] wow thats a great solution[eyecrazy]

Yea, it's kinda like making the dog gone horn blowing and lights a flashing when your not in park... great fix too

MegaRam 03-21-2007 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Beeram305 (Post 1420152)
Wow, those new Fords are HOT!!! [laugh] [dummy]

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

MikeyB 03-21-2007 09:21 PM

I went over to the Drama stop to read up on the 6.4L issues. Wow, they eat their own over there....[coffee]

MikeyB

35" 05' 03-21-2007 09:21 PM

but we HAVE drivin millions of miles with these trucks and didnt find any problems.....just like the 6 oh no!![laugh] [laugh]

dodgezilla04 03-21-2007 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ratat98 (Post 1420147)
So the whole point of a particulate filter is to catch the particles in the exhaust, but it just ends up burning them when it gets clogged anyways?? Does that sound kinda useless to anyone else? [duhhh]

been kinda wondering the same thing. so it doesnt pollute alittle all the time, just everyonce in a while, pooofff, it burns out all the trapped particles. still burning the same amount of junk isnt it?

truckjunkie 03-21-2007 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB (Post 1420287)
I went over to the Drama stop to read up on the 6.4L issues. Wow, they eat their own over there....[coffee]

MikeyB

Wow - you're not kidding. I was (and I guess still am) a member over there from my time owning a 97 F250 PSD. Some of those guys can just get downright vicious.

That said - I'm REALLY glad about how civil this board stays. Some of us might have disagreements, but it's 99.9% civil.

My thanks go to the members and the moderators.

Jack - I'll be sending my donation in the next week or so. It's way overdue.

96_12V 03-21-2007 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie (Post 1420371)
Wow - you're not kidding. I was (and I guess still am) a member over there from my time owning a 97 F250 PSD. Some of those guys can just get downright vicious.

That said - I'm REALLY glad about how civil this board stays. Some of us might have disagreements, but it's 99.9% civil.

My thanks go to the members and the moderators.

Jack - I'll be sending my donation in the next week or so. It's way overdue.

My sediments exactly ... makes me proud to own this truck, just knowing there is such a supportive and positive community of folks behind you all the time. I really try not to be brand loyal, i just research and test and let the results speak for themselves...

bumpytruck 03-21-2007 10:36 PM

Well I paid them a visit (I'm not a member) seems they have it all figured out. Its us Dodge guys posting this nonsense over there.Or at least that appears to be one theroy.[duhhh] [duhhh] Not a very nice place.[coffee]

Steven K 03-21-2007 10:38 PM

Man am I glad I didn't buy a Ford. I have had three of the 7.3 PS's and just ordered a new Dodge because of all the trouble with the 6.0 PS.

Thank you Dodge/Cummins!

I can't believe that Ford's fix is to power down the engine. That sounds like a bandaid if I have ever heard of one.

Mslaughter 03-21-2007 10:40 PM

Talk about scary for the 6.4 owners, driving along everything's fine then all of sudden power down in rush hour on the interstate somewhere. I can see this causing a few accidents...

Steven K 03-21-2007 10:45 PM

http://content.vcommerce.com/product...50/1103250.jpg

rattlerbob5.9 03-21-2007 11:15 PM

I have a question ???

How is ferd going to pin this latest software and pf filter disaster on navistar??[laugh] [laugh]
I can just see the toyota enginers rolling on the floor laughing and the bean counters getting reved up to cash in
If DC has any brains now is the time to step up the ads for the 4500 series!

chumstone 03-21-2007 11:47 PM

Sure going to cut down on pollution, but what about all the forest fires that will get started? Sure would not want to be driving into a gas station or chemical plant when she starts the spewing fire !!!! let alone have it start spitting fire when near the manure pile!! [laugh]

Ms. Cleo 03-22-2007 12:14 AM

I think the theory behind the particulate trap is that soot won't burn at standard temperatures, but it will burn at the hyper-heated temperatures the traps get to when on "regen" mode. Then again, what does soot turn into when it is burned? Smaller soot that penetrates deeper into the ashmatics' lungs?

mj007 03-22-2007 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MegaRam (Post 1419992)
Ford is recalling 37,000 2008 6.4 Super duty trucks because the tail pipes are catching on fire......

Dealers have been told to hold sales of the new trucks till "NEW SOFTWARE CAN BE INSTALLED"

We may just see one of the big three go under........:cool:

MegaRam - You sure beat me to the punch! Just saw this on the tube and got online to post and it's old news already. :o Good post! This may not be a totally good thing, though. Toyotie and Niss-ant are circling like wolves around a hamstrung heifer! :cool:

MegaRam 03-22-2007 08:58 AM

MJ007,
Thanks ...... It's big news for me... I was an old die hard ford guy... (drove fords for most my life ) when I sold my last truck, two of my friends were battling with ford over thier "JUNK" 6.0s I was not dropping that kind of money on a new truck with a motor like that.......
One of the guys just drove his New 07 blue Mega Diesel off the lot not 24 hours ago........

12valve@heart 03-22-2007 09:17 AM

I expect that we'll hear more about the high heat/fire issue with particulate filters from other companies as well as time goes by.

My next door neighbor (also a CTD owner) drives a gas tanker for a living and he commented several months ago about one of the trucking companies having a number of new semi tractors in at the dealership to have the stacks re-aimed because the high exhaust temp from the particulate filter was melting the housings on the reefer units. He was a little concerned about the prospect of dragging 8000 gal. of gasoline with a tractor that was shooting flames.

Of course, in perspective, does anyone remember all the grass fire and other issues when catalytic converters first came out on cars? Now we accept (or delete) them.

BearKiller 03-22-2007 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart (Post 1420929)
Of course, in perspective, does anyone remember all the grass fire and other issues when catalytic converters first came out on cars? Now we accept (or delete) them.

I well remember, in the early eighties, an elderly rich farmer drove his shiny new catallytic converter equipped pick-up out in the middle of a wheat-field being combined.

He shut-off the truck, got out, and walked over to one of the combines.

While he was away from the pick-up, it ignited the wheat straw, and started a healthy fire.

The old guy was out there, by himself, when this happened.

The fire burned three combines, a grain truck, the new pick-up, and spread to a barn full of hay and tobacco, burning it to the ground.

Hdmax 03-22-2007 10:21 AM

I was going to bring this up as well. So this is not a fix at all, it is a bandaid! How long before guys get tired of stopping every few miles when driving in the mountains with 15,000# behind them? I know about the second time, the stop would be at the Dodge, or Chevy dealer to trade up!

Originally Posted by Joe Diesel (Post 1420070)