General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

cummins diesel longevity question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would tend to be my suggestion as well. The '94's had the same pump and such, but it was the first year of the 2nd gen Dodge truck, so there could be more problems with the truck itself--though I havn't had personal expernace with this.

As my sig says, I'm in the 280k range with my 1996 5-speed, (although it's a 2wd, never had a 4wd) I will share with you what I've done in fours years of running this truck. I have replaced the following (and apx cost):
--Steering box $850
--Front rotors/Calipers/pads $685
--Rear drums & pads $480
--Fuel sender modul (in tank) & corroded fuel supply/return lines $350
--Starter $295 (found out afterwards on this site that rebuild kits are avalible for around $50, oops!)

As I reflect on this list, it seems like a lot but then I remember the mileage it's at and I'm running about 21 mpg overall and it does not seem so bad. All of this execpt the fuel lines does not involve the engine whatsoever.

One final thought for you--as you look at rigs to possibly buy, take a moment to sign up for a CARFAX or autocheck account with unlimited access for a month. Run a check on EVERY truck you consider at all. I found some alarming things when I ran a few I looked at through--like the '95 ex-cab 4wd with about 125k That looked a great deal for $9995, until I found out it had been lemoned! This is the sort of thing dealers won't know unless you ask for this report and private owners likely won't tell you. Cover your tail as you shop.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by 96_12V

One final thought for you--as you look at rigs to possibly buy, take a moment to sign up for a CARFAX or autocheck account with unlimited access for a month. Run a check on EVERY truck you consider at all. I found some alarming things when I ran a few I looked at through--like the '95 ex-cab 4wd with about 125k That looked a great deal for $9995, until I found out it had been lemoned! This is the sort of thing dealers won't know unless you ask for this report and private owners likely won't tell you. Cover your tail as you shop. [/B]
Yep, I had already done that earlier today(LOL) I had some time today to do some "online" shopping on the net, and found quite a few trucks within 200 miles or so that I may go take a closer look at sometime this next week. I "did" find a couple of "lemons" so to speak, one had been pegged for odometer rollback, and the other had a offroad/salvage title for a bit. Sure would like to find one, where I could visit with the previous owner, to find out what repairs/maintenance he had done. Sometimes, dealers, are reluctant to give out that type information. Now, I never had a problem with someone calling me to check on a vehicle I had traded in, so I dont know why other people would balk at the idea? thanks for all the advice, I'm sure Ill need more along the way
coadman
Old 03-08-2005, 10:22 AM

Hey, I found a 1998 3500 4x4 5 speed with 55K miles on it(I questioned the salesman over the phone, asking him, if he was sure it wasnt 150K(LOL) Anyway, I may go look at it this weekend, it is in Oklahoma City, and I live in southern Kansas. I did notice that it had the 24 valve motor, so is that anything to be concerned with? Since they changed from the 12 v to 24 late in 1998, is this first year model one "prone" to bugs?
thanks,
coadman
Old 03-08-2005, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by infidel
They're all 12 valves too I'll bet. I work on quite a few trucks and have never seen a 24 valve with over 250k on it while I know many 12s with over 500k.
Even the earliest 24v (98.5) would have to average about 40,000 miles a yr to be at 250,000 miles now. Not sure it's fair to imply the 24v won't go the distance....till all the votes are in; maybe around 2010!

coadman - will have more problems than a 2002...but they have pretty well been documented...and if the price is right, you can calculate what it will cost you to get it primo!
If you get serious about that truck, don't overlook carfax.com., especially in OK.
Need someone to look it over?, talk to Dan...@ City Muffler in OKC. (a DTR advertiser).
RJ
Old 03-08-2005, 03:29 PM

coadman - will have more problems than a 2002...but they have pretty well been documented...and if the price is right, you can calculate what it will cost you to get it primo! If you get serious about that truck, don't overlook carfax.com., especially in OK.
RJ [/B][/QUOTE]

The "price" is very attractive, quoted me a price of $16,999.00. I kind of figure like any dealership, cash outright purchase should knock between $1,000-$2000 off of final figure. I have already checked it out on carfax, a one owner truck. Where at in this forum, can I read about the "documented problems" you refer to, about this year of truck?
thanks,
coadman
Old 03-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Browse the 24 V Engine and Drive train forums....

Fuel pressure via the stock lift pump and rotary style injection pumps can be a bit of an issue. Overall great trucks. Love my '99
Old 03-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Only items I recall are exhaust manifolds tend to crack and some 5 speed tranny problems....but I don't pay close attention to the 98's. I would start a new thread under "24 valve Engine & Drivetrain" asking for what to look at closely. That would be your fastest way of compiling a list.

Did a search under "1998 problems" and found this thread to get you started. There were others! https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=1998+problems
Good Luck!

RJ
Old 03-09-2005, 01:41 AM

Look at HaulinDixie, he had 250,000 plus on a #53 block pulling 30,000lbs daily! I've got 100,000 miles on a 53 with a TST PM3 and pulling 30,000 +lbs for 30,000 miles of it and haven't had problems. I don't think it's fair to judge the 24V just yet.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:39 AM

most of the time I run empty... Mostly running back and forth to my jobs (Traveling computer tech)...

So under light duty and mostly highway miles I haven't seen any big repairs except for...

* front driveshaft
* rear pinion seal
* thermostat

That's it! - Check the signature! It's a good truck!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Barry Smith
Look at HaulinDixie, he had 250,000 plus on a #53 block pulling 30,000lbs daily! I've got 100,000 miles on a 53 with a TST PM3 and pulling 30,000 +lbs for 30,000 miles of it and haven't had problems. I don't think it's fair to judge the 24V just yet.
So, I guess its maybe "50/50", whereas if you have a Dodge with the 53 block, whether you will have a block problem in the future? I have been looking for a 1998 or older, but it just so happens the 1998 Im going to look at, is a 24V, so I might expect to have the 53 block in it. I asked the salesman(via email) to crawl under the truck or have their service man to the job, and tell me it is a 53 block motor. I havent heard back from him yet, so I guess it depends how badly he wants to try and make a sale!(LOL) Regardless of what they say, I will probably go look at the truck this weekend, and inspect it myself.
coadman
Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 AM

I'm sure the odds are much less than 50/50 that your 53 will crack. There are thousands on the road, handfulls crack. It just sucks if yours cracks....
Old 03-11-2005, 02:53 PM

My 95 has 518k miles on it. Outside of the usual service work, minor repairs and replacing a tailpipe, it's held up very well. Now the 01 Sport has had a few things done to it, but it won't make the older model mileage. The body will go first.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Friend on mine just got shafted IMO here about 3 months ago on a trade in. He had a 95 Dodge CTD 12V single cab 5-speed dually 4x4 with sleeper, jet black in color, interior gray, all stock, never modified with 106K miles and I mean cherry condition IMO. He bought the truck new in 95 and this guy really had a problem with detailing,(this is on any vehicle he owns) always keeping one showroom clean and maintained. I'm bad at times on detailing my ride, but this guy needs to go to the loony farm.

With out saying anything to anyone about selling his dually at work he showed up one Monday morning driving a used 04 Chevy Z71 4x4 extended cab pickup. Proud as a little ole' puppy of his new ride and telling me I got a whopping $8500.00 for the 95 trade in. He said that sounded real good to me as old of a truck that 95 was. I tried my best to hold back the tears and agreeing thats a pretty new truck you got there John. I think he just got tired of it, said well I've had the 95 for 10 years. I said nothing else just smiled!

I say one thing someone got them a super nice 12v. So there out there, but may be once in a lifetime deal. Check um' out, Alot of people don't know what the got.

Tony
Old 03-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Tony T.
Friend on mine just got shafted IMO here about 3 months ago on a trade in. He had a 95 Dodge CTD 12V single cab 5-speed dually 4x4 with sleeper, jet black in color, interior gray, all stock, never modified with 106K miles and I mean cherry condition IMO. He bought the truck new in 95 and this guy really had a problem with detailing,(this is on any vehicle he owns) always keeping one showroom clean and maintained. I'm bad at times on detailing my ride, but this guy needs to go to the loony farm.

With out saying anything to anyone about selling his dually at work he showed up one Monday morning driving a used 04 Chevy Z71 4x4 extended cab pickup. Proud as a little ole' puppy of his new ride and telling me I got a whopping $8500.00 for the 95 trade in. He said that sounded real good to me as old of a truck that 95 was. I tried my best to hold back the tears and agreeing thats a pretty new truck you got there John. I think he just got tired of it, said well I've had the 95 for 10 years. I said nothing else just smiled!

I say one thing someone got them a super nice 12v. So there out there, but may be once in a lifetime deal. Check um' out, Alot of people don't know what the got.

Tony
Wish "I" would have been around, I would have JUMPED all over that deal!!!!
coadman
Old 03-15-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by infidel
........have never seen a 24 valve with over 250k on it.....
I'll let you know when I'm there! Hey, even if I have to replace a VP once or twice, it pays for itself very quickly when you compare that to a monthly bank payment of $400 or $500 for a new ride.

Quick Reply: cummins diesel longevity question?