Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Cab-over semi-trucks being replaced? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/cab-over-semi-trucks-being-replaced-168133/)

rustbucket 09-09-2007 09:53 PM

Did anyone see the one they did on trick my truck? After they got it done,anyone would have been proud to drive it.:cool:

96_12V 09-09-2007 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by induchman (Post 1686398)
I've often wondered when the USA will finally allow road-trains, as my son drives one in AU http://outbacktowing.tripod.com/

I certainly hope they Don't allow them. The roads here in the midwest are bad enough without that much weight crusing over them. [duhhh]

There would have to be a massive re-work of some American highways if this ever happened here. Perhaps in the remote areas of Canada, it might make sense?

Doctor Detroit 09-10-2007 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by 96_12V (Post 1687543)
I certainly hope they Don't allow them. The roads here in the midwest are bad enough without that much weight crusing over them. [duhhh]

There would have to be a massive re-work of some American highways if this ever happened here. Perhaps in the remote areas of Canada, it might make sense?

Too late! Under the laws that standardized many of the trucking regulations, Turnpike Doubles and Triples were legalized years ago across the USA. Some states still will not allow them. However, to maintain their Federal Highway funds they were required to provide signage for designated breakdown areas. Look for a small rectangular sign. It is blue with a center circle of white. In the center of that circle is a capital "T". That designates the next exit as a point at which Turnpike Doubles or Triples are allowed to exit the highway or freeway and uncouple one of their trailers (Which returns the vehicle to standard length) for delivery locally.

A Turnpike Double would be two 40' trailers pulled by a 3 axle tractor as opposed to standard doubles which are two 28' trailers usually pulled by a 2 axle tractor.

Triples are just that. Usually a 3 axle tractor pulling 3 -28' trailers. They are currently being operated in several western states. I know Nevada allows Triples and Turpike Doubles. I believe UPS has run Triples since they became legal.

These larger units have an excellent safety record which in one way has been proven by the fact you guys were unaware they have been in operation for years. Only the best senior drivers are assigned to these units. The last thing the companies need is a bad accident with these oversized units.

As for weight: Heavy trucks are nothing like light duty pickups. With a light duty truck you can haul anything that fits. Rarely will a cop even bother with you. Heavy tractor trailer combination are heavily regulated. On a pounds per square inch basis (Tire contact patch) they will frequently exert less than the average loaded pickup. The weight distribution formula remains the same. Axle loading does not increase with Triples or Turpike Doubles. The unit is held to exactly the same standard.

The gain comes with efficiency. Turpike Doubles convert two tractor/trailer units into one. Triples turn three sets of doubles with three tractors into two. In each case one entire tractor is eliminated. This lowers the companies bottom line and the shipping costs they will charge you. This decreases the demand for diesel fuel by 1/2 and 1/3 respectively. Highway congestion is decreased. There is also an impact on Global Warming since fewer vehicles are built and in operation. It's a good thing!

74dart 09-10-2007 06:07 AM

Maybe some of you trucker can answer my question. Every time I've been to Detroit I see trucks with 7-8 axels under the trailer. The have wheels from one end to the other. Usally dump style trailers with tarps covering them. What are they carring that is so heavy it requires so many axels.

Doctor Detroit 09-10-2007 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 74dart (Post 1687755)
Maybe some of you trucker can answer my question. Every time I've been to Detroit I see trucks with 7-8 axels under the trailer. The have wheels from one end to the other. Usally dump style trailers with tarps covering them. What are they carring that is so heavy it requires so many axels.

Sounds like you may be talking about a Michigan Train. I know they will also pull a trailer. As I stated above the additional axles and tires allow the unit to carry a greater amount of weight without an increase in the force or pounds per square inch it exerts on the highway. I am not in Michigan so I do not know specifically which commodities are hauled. Dump trucks usually haul the various types of crushed rock, sand, rock dust, dirt, coal, sulfur, asphalt, grindings etc.. Where I am, I have hauled everything but coal.

AlpineRAM 09-10-2007 08:17 AM

I do like cabovers like the Renault Magnum. Air suspended cabin :)

http://www.lkw-infos.net/images/them...saa-260605.jpg

Naturally the aerodynamics aren't too great but for our length regs the cabover is still the only viable possibility.

Dangerous Dave 09-10-2007 05:43 PM

Lots of pics of TP doubles and Triples at that site link I posted.

Here it is again: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm

Most I ever see on Texas highways is 28' doubles. MANY of the freight companies do it!

wcbcruzer 09-10-2007 06:07 PM

I see doubles in this state. Only time I have seen a triple was in Nevada I believe. Never seen or even heard of pulling FOUR trailers until now! I agree with the gained benefits from running triples or more. Let's just hope the drivers keep them running safe.

This right here is just crazy! How does he turn with that thing?

http://outbacktowing.tripod.com/site...es/tanker2.jpg

u2cheyenne 09-11-2007 12:52 AM

wow

that must be an incredible sight to see and or drive. I couldnt even imagine.

Mike

induchman 09-11-2007 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R (Post 1686535)
Wow - those road trains are something else! :o

Isn't it amazing what they can do with such little HP?

fschiola 09-11-2007 09:51 PM

The company I work for runs triples and Rocky Mountain doubles (48 ft and 28 ft trailers) in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and 15 miles of I 15 in NE Arizona. We run "Rockies" because of Wyoming restrictions, otherwise they would all be triples and don't cause any more damage than any other vehicle. The normal limit that we are permitted for is 105 feet and 105,000 lbs. There are other over length sizes but all of the freight companies go by 105 feet. The trailer axles can't weigh more than they would if they were single or double, so they don't exert any more pressure on the roadway than what's legal for any other vehicle. Because of the length laws, cabovers aren't necessary which is great if you've ever operated a 155" wheel base cabover from Denver to the east coast.

The trucks in Michigan have the extra axles for the same reason as well as to satisfy the bridge limits on the highway.

fschiola 09-11-2007 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by induchman (Post 1689464)
Isn't it amazing what they can do with such little HP?

That's because of the amount of gears in the transmissions.

fschiola 09-11-2007 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer (Post 1688678)
I see doubles in this state. Only time I have seen a triple was in Nevada I believe. Never seen or even heard of pulling FOUR trailers until now! I agree with the gained benefits from running triples or more. Let's just hope the drivers keep them running safe.

There are literally hundreds of millions of miles run safely with triples and Rocky Mountain doubles as well as Turnpike doubles in Kansas.

96_12V 09-11-2007 10:42 PM

Detroit Doctor - thanks for setting me straight. you're right, it's a benefit, but in Illinois the roads are so rough I wonder if a triple could even stay on the road...?

LOGAN 09-12-2007 12:26 AM

kenworth rolled its last cab overs out about a year ago, no more cab overs after the 2006 models, their east coast plant is about 25 minutes from my house and i know several guys that work their. when you 18 speeds and some of these trucks got 500 horsepower, you are talking alot of torque multiplication with 18 speeds.