Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Cab-over semi-trucks being replaced? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/cab-over-semi-trucks-being-replaced-168133/)

fschiola 09-11-2007 09:51 PM

The company I work for runs triples and Rocky Mountain doubles (48 ft and 28 ft trailers) in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and 15 miles of I 15 in NE Arizona. We run "Rockies" because of Wyoming restrictions, otherwise they would all be triples and don't cause any more damage than any other vehicle. The normal limit that we are permitted for is 105 feet and 105,000 lbs. There are other over length sizes but all of the freight companies go by 105 feet. The trailer axles can't weigh more than they would if they were single or double, so they don't exert any more pressure on the roadway than what's legal for any other vehicle. Because of the length laws, cabovers aren't necessary which is great if you've ever operated a 155" wheel base cabover from Denver to the east coast.

The trucks in Michigan have the extra axles for the same reason as well as to satisfy the bridge limits on the highway.

fschiola 09-11-2007 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by induchman (Post 1689464)
Isn't it amazing what they can do with such little HP?

That's because of the amount of gears in the transmissions.

fschiola 09-11-2007 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer (Post 1688678)
I see doubles in this state. Only time I have seen a triple was in Nevada I believe. Never seen or even heard of pulling FOUR trailers until now! I agree with the gained benefits from running triples or more. Let's just hope the drivers keep them running safe.

There are literally hundreds of millions of miles run safely with triples and Rocky Mountain doubles as well as Turnpike doubles in Kansas.

96_12V 09-11-2007 10:42 PM

Detroit Doctor - thanks for setting me straight. you're right, it's a benefit, but in Illinois the roads are so rough I wonder if a triple could even stay on the road...?

LOGAN 09-12-2007 12:26 AM

kenworth rolled its last cab overs out about a year ago, no more cab overs after the 2006 models, their east coast plant is about 25 minutes from my house and i know several guys that work their. when you 18 speeds and some of these trucks got 500 horsepower, you are talking alot of torque multiplication with 18 speeds.

Box5 09-12-2007 01:19 AM

a cab over looks so cool rolling down the road at u. I passed one tonight and it's like a wall coming at u, lol.

gm1276 09-12-2007 03:06 PM

kenworth still makes them or did until the end of 06 model year, i think on special order. I think they still make the c500k which is a cabover model of their construction truck. The in-town delivery trucks and such are are actually what they call lcf models, or low cab forward.

lastchance 09-12-2007 03:14 PM

since yall are on the subject here pete 359 extended hood with a 6x4 over on both boxes is the real mccoy. i know they dont make em any more but i have one and there is nothing like pulling in the truck stop and backing in a hole changing 2-3 gears in reverse other drivers are like what the h@ll is he got. i wasnt always that fortunate to be able to own a nice 359.
i started out in a 79coe pete 352 model and it really sucked but dam it would run. no power steering no ac no jake brake but it did have what other trucks back then wanted a 400 big cam with a 12513speed trans double over and 370 with a pittsburg turbo and hot injectors. and a 10 button most of the time in the fuel pump but just for occasions when i needed to spank on someone that had a cat pumped up i would jack the cab up and put in a double oo button. that would always do the job up the west virgina turnpike and up 79 to pittsburg. man that was the good ole days now they will give you a ticket for going 5-10 over through there. fun while it lasted.

those of you who know what i am talking about have more than likely been there and know what trucking use to be.

now instead of building a cummins motor to run hard i just focus on looking good going up the road.

memories memories memories--- not to mention buying fuel for 69 cents a gallon!!!

Dangerous Dave 09-12-2007 09:53 PM

Biggest thing I ever OTR was a Ryder 28' box truck. And on flat road at that.

I always thought I'd like big rig OTR, but not in todays litigous society!!!!

RickG 09-13-2007 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave (Post 1692641)
Biggest thing I ever OTR was a Ryder 28' box truck. And on flat road at that.

I always thought I'd like big rig OTR, but not in todays litigous society!!!!

Many o/o's incorporate or form an LLC mistakenly thinking it will protect their personal assets . If they are personally negligent in an accident (illegal logs , overloaded , faulty equipment after pre-trip ) they can be sued personally .

lastchance 09-13-2007 12:08 PM

yep thats right, just need to know how to play the game and follow laws the best way you can!
with that said in trucking when you get pulled over make the dot man think you are completely stupid and most of the time he will cut you a break!
hell most of the dmv guys cant even read a log book.

Doctor Detroit 09-17-2007 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by lastchance (Post 1691906)
since yall are on the subject here pete 359 extended hood with a 6x4 over on both boxes is the real mccoy. i know they dont make em any more but i have one and there is nothing like pulling in the truck stop and backing in a hole changing 2-3 gears in reverse other drivers are like what the h@ll is he got. i wasnt always that fortunate to be able to own a nice 359.
i started out in a 79coe pete 352 model and it really sucked but dam it would run. no power steering no ac no jake brake but it did have what other trucks back then wanted a 400 big cam with a 12513speed trans double over and 370 with a pittsburg turbo and hot injectors. and a 10 button most of the time in the fuel pump but just for occasions when i needed to spank on someone that had a cat pumped up i would jack the cab up and put in a double oo button. that would always do the job up the west virgina turnpike and up 79 to pittsburg. man that was the good ole days now they will give you a ticket for going 5-10 over through there. fun while it lasted.

those of you who know what i am talking about have more than likely been there and know what trucking use to be.

now instead of building a cummins motor to run hard i just focus on looking good going up the road.

memories memories memories--- not to mention buying fuel for 69 cents a gallon!!!

I remember - I remember! But, as the name implies I had my fun with a Detroit. Prior to the 92 I greatly preferred a Cummins. When I entered the business I had a choice between a Western Star with an NTCC 400 or a 289 Pete (2 axle version of the 359) with an 8V-92TA. I talked to a fleet foreman who ran 12V-71's and had converted to 8V-92TA's. He told me that I had not driven a big Detroit yet. Don't judge them until you do. I bought the Pete. It was rated 430 HP. I was hard to run with. The hot thing at that time was to take it to Bakersfield and get a full power tune. It was supposed to be good for about 45 HP. I did and they didn't lie! That thing ran. I'm regional. I remember running night jobs where I ran 85 mph in both directions all night and never got stopped. Now, in my state, 15 mph over any posted limit (ie:40 in a 25), in a heavy combination is wreckless driving, a high misdemeanor. You will probably be arrested and impounded. The court usually hands out a 'cocktail'; big fine, community service, probation and anger management (If you weren't mad, you are now). I guess there is such a thing as the good 'ole days.

MikeyB 09-17-2007 07:15 AM

For a little while I drove a 1978 Marmon conventional with a 8v-92TA. With the pump turned up and a 13spd Eaton Roadranger that truck would move.

MikeyB

lastchance 09-17-2007 10:24 AM

i have seen detroits run and yea the right mechanic could get them to roll but there is one man out there still running today that back in the day put a whole new meaning to cummins power Southern Shaker is his CB handle and man did he know what was going on back then with a KTA 600 Cummins you talk about leaving from here that thing was tough!
i guess it is good you can still talk about those days where you could make a good living and have fun at the same time!

Dangerous Dave 09-17-2007 05:30 PM

Driving a rig APPEARS to be more job that fun these days. Although a LOT of Owner/Operator Refrig drivers seem to boogy pretty good... and have some FINE EDIT looking rigs!!!

lastchance 09-18-2007 07:58 AM

yea you can still ride hard but you take a huge chance on getting caught.
every time i have ever pulled a refer you had to ride because if your late with the frieght you bought it cause they will turn your load down.
and it does pay fair just most of the rigs you see i said most now if you followed them home you would see a rusty old truck and a singlewide trailer cause it is hard to make two mortgage payments in a truck!

farmer0_1 09-18-2007 08:32 AM

i drove a daycab frieghtshaker cabover single screw with a 350 cummins and a 13 speed for aboat 4 years. this old girl was on its second million miles and leaked and cracks all over but still liked driving her. all them soft riding quite rigs put me to sleep. would have been nice not to have water dripping on your leg when driving hyw 101 all week.

lastchance 09-18-2007 08:40 AM

man i hear ya i know where you are coming from but if you look back on it you made the best out of a bad situation.
when i had my coe pete i would pull in the truck stop in Max Meadows VA and hold my head up proud of what i had and what i did even though like you said rough shape at least you drove one i know several people around here that just absolutely refuse to get in one. it is like they are embarassed or something. i like it myself.

farmer0_1 09-18-2007 09:05 AM

if i got held over i used to polish that front chrome bumper and that chrome stack. i know what you mean about "thats not good enough to drive" got a brother that don't have two nickles to rub together wants a new dodge pickup and can't understand why i drive oldies.

lastchance 09-18-2007 09:32 AM

sounds like my brother cant pay child support but wants new stuff.
i had rather start from the bottom so noone can say you dont know what its like. oh yes i do!

lastchance 09-18-2007 09:42 AM

back when i was running florida i would polish on that old bumper and stack and 2 front rims that always made everyone wonder what kind of chicken feed i was on!!!

wcbcruzer 09-18-2007 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by farmer0_1 (Post 1700764)
if i got held over i used to polish that front chrome bumper and that chrome stack. i know what you mean about "thats not good enough to drive" got a brother that don't have two nickles to rub together wants a new dodge pickup and can't understand why i drive oldies.

I'd much rather keep my current Dodge + thousands of dollars over buying a new one. I actually really like driving my Dodge. I hardly ever see 12v's in my town. LOTS of Fords. And I could care less what other people thought about me or my vehicle. When you see a shiny new Corvette cruising down the street, you may look at it for a second and think "nice car." But honestly, do you really care? No...

farmer0_1 09-18-2007 04:14 PM

heck if i am worried about a new corvette i just drag out the old 69ss camaro i bought it back in 1979 or 80 when they were laughed at. cost me a good 2150 bucks with no dents bad paint no rust all stock. now everyone wants one of those time for me to sell it. hah.

lastchance 09-18-2007 04:38 PM

i remember my dad had one except it was a 69z with a 302 that sucker was bad i thought.

you are right though that car today will bring some money!

if you had it this long i wouldnt sell it now!

Dieseldude4x4 09-19-2007 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB (Post 1683634)
Aerodynamics and fuel economy killed the COE.
And already mentioned, drivers prefer conventionals over COE's. Unless they drive in urban settings only.
MikeyB

That's what I was going to suggest also. About like pushing a barn down the road.

Dangerous Dave 09-19-2007 07:58 AM

Except that CAN'T be all of it. I see full on big nose conventionals with external filters and the whole nine yards.

I read a long PDF about big truck mileage. More aero always helps. But a low sleeper conventional about 8 feet ahead of a high trailer is close to as bad as you can get aero wise, and this was a PRETTY rig.

I would bet safety played a larger part over fuel economy.

There is something to be said for a Volvo tucked right up to the trailer slickin' on down the road....

lastchance 09-19-2007 08:06 AM

The only thing about that volvo is- and i give you this from an old timer:
" there aint no class in fiberglass"

volvos have came along way in trucks but i had still rather ride in a coe behind a wrecker than to drive a volvo!

Dangerous Dave 09-19-2007 04:02 PM

Saw another of those Flat top conventionals with a looooong chassis with a reefer on it all dolled up. They ain't doin' it for MPG like that. It's all style!

And you are probably correct about fiberglass, but then the newest Pete and KWs have a bunch of glass too.

HOHN 09-19-2007 04:07 PM

I'd drive a volvo any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But KW T660 is probably my dream truck.

Cummins-powered, please:)

BCB 09-19-2007 04:36 PM

give me an old 359 pete or even a 379 and i'll be happy as a hog in slop. another thing is working on these trucks, right now i'm doing an in frame on a 72 Titan 90 COE with a 318 Detroit in it and my buddy is doing the same in a 359 pete in the bay next to and it has been alot easier for him so far. hell it took us 6 hours to get the cab up! i'd hate to break down in a COE and try to fix it on the side of the road.

Dangerous Dave 09-19-2007 10:26 PM

As I was coming home from the bowling alley tonight, just before I turned onto the road off 59...

One of those flat top reefer pullers went by Northbound. It was EASY to see what it was, even in the dark. Because that sucker had LED lights all over! Roof lights were bright enough to show the reefer gadget on the front of the trailer.

And with this post, GOOD NIGHT!

lastchance 09-20-2007 08:56 AM

When in the trucking buusiness you have to decide whether you want to make money or look cool.... cant do both because cool loose fuel mileage which in return cuts the money you make at the end of the week.

myself i prefer to look cool and make enough to pay the bills. trucking is like a drug highly addictive--horsepower-chrome-lights. when i was in it you never get satisfied with the truck always wanting to spend more money!

and with that said its like a dodge/cummins- never get enough,at least i dont anyway.

Dangerous Dave 09-20-2007 05:43 PM

I kinda figured as much, particularly when it comes to these reefer pullers!

Although I have seen some pretty nice Aero reefer pullers too.

lastchance 09-21-2007 09:12 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1190383885
this is what a cabover should look like!!!!

farmer0_1 09-21-2007 09:32 AM

man thats got a wheelbase. i have seen alot of the local hay haulers put a bed between the fifth wheel and the cab.

lastchance 09-21-2007 09:43 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1190385734
talk about a bad day!!!

lastchance 09-21-2007 09:47 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1190385987
this is real nice!!!

lastchance 09-21-2007 09:58 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1190386527

hey farmer this is my sled before i started bringing her down.

i have alot more recent photos in the shop being stripped but i aint good enough yet with the whole picture computer thing to show them yet!

what'cha think??

farmer0_1 09-21-2007 10:53 PM

nice, year doesn't make much different as long as it cleans up well and i must say that rig has some nicely polished chrome. is the extra long wheel base for wieght dist. or just the way it is.

GhettoVaquero 09-22-2007 08:01 AM

i wondered the same thing as to why all the COEs are gone, i figured it had something to do with saftey. like another poster said, the driver is the first to arrive to an accident