General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

1500 diesel "selling like hotcakes"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregonpharmer
Ask any Jeep diesel owner about their experience in other than basic grocery hauling. Same engine, same spaghetti, short life, no resale, and lots of time in the dealer!
I think the Liberty CRD owners on here would disagree, and from what I've seen they are holding their value.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregonpharmer
I would sit back and let new 1500 RAM V6 engine "prove" itself in actual use.

Keep in mind that this engine is built by a company now owned by Fiat and GM, and neither of those firms have ever managed a corporate diesel design that will last longer than maybe a 100,000 miles of light duty.

I am with the posts that say sit it out and wait for Nissan and Toyota to put the Cummins V8 (that was originally developed for Dodge) in their trucks if you want a light duty diesel. Or, better yet wait until Nissan and Toyota bring the little trucks with the diesels they use in Australia and the rest of the world. They run forever!
IMO, you should never buy the first year of anything. It looks promising, but.......

The company that makes these engines has been making light duty diesels for many year. If you travel through south america, africa, etc, they're everywhere. The rest of the truck looks like a POS, but the diesel engine is still running. When I lived in europe, I drove one a lot, and it was a great little engine. And I didn't drive it gently, either.

Not interested in a japanese truck, no matter what's under the hood.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
IMO, you should never buy the first year of anything. It looks promising, but.......
Yeah, I figured that out through observation long ago.
Not interested in a japanese truck, no matter what's under the hood.
I'd be interested in one some day, if for nothing more than pulling the V8 Cummins out of it. I think it would make a good engine for an old hotrod.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I'd be interested in one some day, if for nothing more than pulling the V8 Cummins out of it. I think it would make a good engine for an old hotrod.
Yeah! I drive a Cobra replica. And I always thought it would be fun to build one with a small turbodiesel in it. Good mileage and a boat load of torque. And, just to be different.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
Yeah! I drive a Cobra replica. And I always thought it would be fun to build one with a small turbodiesel in it. Good mileage and a boat load of torque. And, just to be different.
They were also developing a v6, I wonder what ever became of it?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dodge 1500 with the 3.0 liter engine is a nice alternative to a 2500 wiith the 6.7. I'm with a few others and want to see how it fairs after it's on the market for at least a year. What would be interesting is if someone racked up 80.000 miles in a year and gave a report. And the Nissan Frontier is an interesting concept with a 4 banger. I'd like to see it with a slightly longer box to haul plywood and 2 x 4s.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I checked with two of the local dealers near me. Neither has any in the forecast for a couple months. Both already have some sold and on order. I told them that first available, I want to drive it.