Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

"ultra low sulphur diesel" damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was told that the nw ULSd is basically kerosine from some truckers i have talked to. i get diesel kleen at the QT i frequent that is a truck stop. something like $6 fora bottle taht will do 100 gallons on a 3 cetane boost or 50 gallons for 6 cetane boost. i havent had any experience with ULSD yet but no matter what im putting additives in to be safe.but i agree with the whole lead and ethanol thing, they didnt hurt anything really just a scare for ppl to buy products that arent always necassary. its just good promotion and advertyising at work. scare tactics work on a lot of ppl nowadays.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just add in a couple gallons of burnt motor oil & you won't have any problems, & you will find you motor running quieter & better. I have been doing this for some time now at a 20% to 80% ratio. I am about to add another carter 4601HP pump and a regular old filter base & filter that is cheaper than the stock one just to add extra filtering in. I am also running this in my wife's New 2006 VW Jetta TDI. Waste oil is free. Just make sure it is clean.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
This whole argument reminds me of the ethanol rumors years ago. Seems to be running fine in a lot of vehicles for the past 25 years
you're not listening hard enough, or to the right crowd.. it HAS been causing major problems in some boats with fiberglass fuel tanks.. it leaches the resin out of the tanks, and deposits it... guess where?

also, older vehicles have issues with rubber fuel lines and seals- most people just say it was the age that caused failures, but ethanol greatly accelerated the failures...

I think the ULSD will be similar, nothing that can really be pinned on the fuel, but failure rates of older trucks will go up... (but they're failing because they're old, and you need to buy a new truck, right?)

but I don't think it's need for panic- the problem has to be somewhat subtle for them to get away with it.. running a fuel lube is a good idea, anyway... I'm going to go with the waste oil until I'm on Biodiesel (the sooner prices go up, the sooner I'll be on it)
Old 08-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lunyfringe
you're not listening hard enough, or to the right crowd.. it HAS been causing major problems in some boats with fiberglass fuel tanks.. it leaches the resin out of the tanks, and deposits it... guess where?

also, older vehicles have issues with rubber fuel lines and seals- most people just say it was the age that caused failures, but ethanol greatly accelerated the failures...

I think the ULSD will be similar, nothing that can really be pinned on the fuel, but failure rates of older trucks will go up... (but they're failing because they're old, and you need to buy a new truck, right?)

but I don't think it's need for panic- the problem has to be somewhat subtle for them to get away with it.. running a fuel lube is a good idea, anyway... I'm going to go with the waste oil until I'm on Biodiesel (the sooner prices go up, the sooner I'll be on it)
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, lowering the sulpher in diesel is not the same thing as adding ethanol to gas.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, lowering the sulpher in diesel is not the same thing as adding ethanol to gas.
true, Geico266 just said it reminded him of a rumor that ethanol would cause a problem..

I'm saying there's shouldn't be a big cause for alarm, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there's issues with some trucks... and I'll be running lube additive (cheaper than an injection pump)
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The introduction of ULSD diesel was mandated for this year way back in 1993.
Manufacturers have had plenty of time to make sure their engine components will be compatible not only with ULSD but also with bio and most all have.
You won't find many engines manufactured after 1994 that will have compatability problems with the new fuels.
Cummins has been way ahead of the game and is several years ahead of the EPA tier emissions rules which stretch out with new requirements almost every year all the way to 2020.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Infidel if Cummins was way ahead of the Game, then we wouldn't have all these VP44 failures from lack of fuel/lubricant whether caused by faulty LP's or not. There is simply not enough lubricant in the LSD, much less the ULSD. All 3 of the Big 3 as of 2007 will have the same injectors in them. I was informed yesterday, that in the 3rd GEN trucks, the injectors are dying just after 100k, NO WArranty. So now all 3 of these idiot companies are gonna use them. What Gives??
Old 08-12-2006, 05:06 PM
FDC

I've been adding MMO every 3-4 tanks since I bought the truck in 01. Now I'm in Louisianna where they sell Low Sulfur diesel. No issues yet.

One question though: MMO had a recall from Wally World a few weeks ago. It's back on the shelf with the regular oil/gas/diesel labeling, but it now has a green sticker saying "for gasoline engines only". Any ideas on this?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FDC

One question though: MMO had a recall from Wally World a few weeks ago. It's back on the shelf with the regular oil/gas/diesel labeling, but it now has a green sticker saying "for gasoline engines only". Any ideas on this?
Gonna guess that it will clog the particualte filters on the new diesels. PS had a voluntary recall, because they were not labeling as ULSD compatable...
Old 08-12-2006, 10:34 PM
FDC

Gonna guess that it will clog the particualte filters on the new diesels. PS had a voluntary recall, because they were not labeling as ULSD compatable...
Sounds like a good theory. Shouldn't affect my 01. I'll keep a watch for bottles with new labeling to see what it says. We've been using MMO in boats or trucks for MANY years, unless they change the formula there is no need to change my habbits on the older diesels.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

You might check out their webpage, email them and ask them if the formula changed... I know a lot of guys run MMO in their diesels, can't see them changing the formula to one that won't work with any diesel....
Old 08-13-2006, 08:07 AM
FDC

You might check out their webpage, email them and ask them if the formula changed... I know a lot of guys run MMO in their diesels, can't see them changing the formula to one that won't work with any diesel....
Good idea, it looks like Turtle Wax is now the parent company. I shot them an email regarding the changes, and will post the response on the board.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGHEAD
Infidel if Cummins was way ahead of the Game, then we wouldn't have all these VP44 failures from lack of fuel/lubricant whether caused by faulty LP's or not.
Bighead, think you're going to have to suck up and admit it, just as Bosch has, that the VP is an inferior pump prone with problems.
Ever think there might be a reason you can't buy a new one anymore, they are all rebuilts.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Infidel the VP44 has been a pain in the rump to most of us at one time or another. I think I have replaced 4 of them in 275k miles. This last one has lasted a long time & I think because I am adding the oil to my fuel, it has helped. I agree that it may not be the best pump, but taking better care of them helps as well. Plenty of fuel, plenty of lubricant, & I think you will see a long life from them. The customized fuel delivery systems seem to help out as well. The Carter LP's have killed just as many if not more VP's than anything else
Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Question

I would wager to say that the incident VP44 failures on Gen 2's with Vulcan/gauge or FASS is way less than without. Yes, they can fail for other reasons, but I think a large number have gone a long ways on VP44's when the LP issue is addressed. Adding PS is additional insurance, IMHO.
Would be interesting to hear from others that have made the Mods ?additive to hear their experience.
Any FASS/Vulcan/Additve guys when to share their experience?

Quick Reply: "ultra low sulphur diesel" damage