Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Still Think You're Safe Running "Red"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My buddy with an 06 is a state trooper here in pa. They have a blue suit team down at his baracks. He said that you can tell them your not taking any samples without a warrant, because there is no real probable cause to just dip an average person.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a hard time with private diesels getting dipped without just cause. On the other hand I pay the tax and so should everyone and the only way to inforce is to dip.

But another thing is their are probably more cars and trucks going down the road with Drugs then Red diesel. I would rather see them spending more time working on the Drug traffic.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I have a hard time with private diesels getting dipped without just cause. On the other hand I pay the tax and so should everyone and the only way to inforce is to dip.

But another thing is their are probably more cars and trucks going down the road with Drugs then Red diesel. I would rather see them spending more time working on the Drug traffic.
That's a very good point. Or how about the people that think nothing of taking a "roadie" home from the bar.

I've never run offroad myself but, nonetheless, I'd still be offended if they tried to dip my tank. I'd be the guy that flat out refuses and makes them get a warrant. Then when they do get it and come to dip, convinced I'm running red because of my refusal, I'd smile a big ole smile when they come up with nothing and drive off hard.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
When cops out here (DPS) try and do that they are accused of "profiling" and the drug runners are set free. Hey maybe i'm on to something..I'll claim diesel profiling..Think the ACLU will handle that one...NOT...

Oh yea, I dont run red either, but I would refuse also just make them work a little harder for nothing...
Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Chapter President

Well, just as we complain about our illegal south of the border folks....not paying taxes and so on. I pay the rediculous tax on fuel and drive on the crummy roads they(the state/gov) can't afford to fix. So I say good, give em a fine or ticket. It's not about 1 guy doing it and getting away with it, it's about many doing it and not paying tax then it adds up.

As far a dipping your tank just because you have a diesel I think that would be BS, they should have to have some sort of prior knowlegde or "tipster".
Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 PM

Question

Would the DOT have any rights to dip that a State Trooper wouldnt? I sorta think thats the DOTs job to enforce. If its a private vehicle on a public road I really wonder what the legalities are???
Old 08-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Be aware that PA is dipping also. I got pulled over at the breezewood interchange of the turnpike. The guy stood in front of me at the interchange. He gave me a brochure that said they could dip me and if I refused I was subject to a fine. I also don't run red so I was fine. FYI
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM

Run you a stealth fuel spout and let em dip the "factory one. In fact leave about .25 gal inside a little bottle at the end of a tube. I saw a while back on DodgeTruckWorld where a guy hinged his left tail light and hid the fuel tube in there. It was an awesome stealth job.....But he did it so he could get rid of the factory unit....
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 PM

If you dip I dip we dip.

Ha Ha Ha

IF I ran red, which I don't. I'd fight it in court. I'd argue that I myself put red dye in my fuel so no one would steal it. Is THAT a crime ???? PROVE ME WRONG.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:41 PM

Be a good idea to have a sample of the dye in the cab too :-)
Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

They are pretty sophisticated. Red dye is just the beginning. They then send it off to lab, where they have a specific chemical marker in it. for example if your fuel was red for whatever reason, additives, trans fluid etc. You would be OK when results got back from lab. I don't like it either, but they have the right to dip whomever, whenever they want. You can make them get a warrant, all they have to do it radio it in. All this seconhand knowledge comes from an extensive debate that was on here last year?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:47 AM

I have never run off road fuel but I know people do. Most of the tank checks seem to take place at large events like horse shows, race events and fairs where it is easy for them to check a lot of diesel trucks.

*** Moral of the story, if you choose to "Run Red" do not take you truck to such events.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoleman
They will for a fact sneak in and dip vehicles at stock sales and rodeos in Missouri. I've seen it done.
Sounds exactly like illegal search and seizure to me.......?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:05 AM
P.J
Banned

I checked out the guy here from my County. He was actually stopped on the road he lives on. I pasted the details of what he ACTUALLY got. This would be very easy for someone with the time to do it, would show us what kind of fines these people are and aren't getting. Use Maryland Judiciary Case search.

Plea: GUILTY
Disposition: GUILTY
Disposition Date: 04/16/2008
Contributed To Accident: NO Personal Injury?: NO
Sentence Date: 04/16/2008
Sentence Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:090
Suspended Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:090
Costs: Fine: 1007.5 CourtCost: 22.5 CICF: 35
Suspended: Fine: 607.5 CourtCost: 0 CICF Cost: 0
Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 AM
P.J
Banned

HOLY COW, this guy got popped before for the same thing!

Defendant Name: SHIVOCK, JOSEPH ALLAN
Race: WHITE, CAUCASIAN, ASIATIC INDIAN, ARAB
Sex: MHeight:511Weight:200DOB:07/22/1962
Address: XXX XXXXXXXXXX Road
City: ELKTONState:MDZip Code:21921 - 0000
Charge and Disposition Information
(Each Charge is listed separately. The disposition is listed below the Charge)
Charge No: 001Description DYED DIESEL FUEL
Statute: Description:
Amended Date: CJIS Code:MO/PLL:XProbable Cause:X
Incident Date From: 07/05/2006 To: 07/05/2006 Victim Age:
Disposition
Plea: GUILTY
Disposition: GUILTYDisposition Date:10/06/2006
Fine:$342.50Court Costs:$22.50CICF:$35.00
Amt Suspended: Fine:$0.00Court Costs:$0.00CICF:$0.00
PBJ EndDate: Probation End Date:Restitution Amount:$0.00
Jail Term: Yrs:MosDays:

admin edited to hide address.

Quick Reply: Still Think You're Safe Running "Red"?