Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

All you 20+ mpg people

Old 04-23-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am guessing that maybe its jelousy or something [ your ego is in your go peddle ] .
14 pages of , I do not get that millage so you can't , not everybody is 100% on there hold on reality [ both sides ] but the banter of childish [ no way can that happen ] .
This is not a challange , just what good is a form if there is too much additude to get info out there .
Rant Over .
Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by John Faughn
I am guessing that maybe its jelousy or something [ your ego is in your go peddle ] .
14 pages of , I do not get that millage so you can't , not everybody is 100% on there hold on reality [ both sides ] but the banter of childish [ no way can that happen ] .
This is not a challange , just what good is a form if there is too much additude to get info out there .
Rant Over .
Heh, Heh, The trick is to not take things seriously. If you sift through the posts you can see simularities in the vehicles that seem to get the best mileage. You just have to do your homework and laugh at the ones that get a little too involved. Know that all odometers are off for whatever reasons, egos are vastly different, record keeping is random at best and I think the trend for most people is to keep checking their mileage until they get a really good result and then post that result as their actual mileage. It's like dyno figures. No one posts their average. Some try to acknowledge the type of dyno in their posts but most just post their high. They are as subjective as fuel mileage. Remember the Walbro Superduty posts. It would have been easy to get put off by the egos in those posts and stop reading them, but in my case I would have probably missed the chance to develope a really good lift pump system in my truck. Superduty did a good job of bringing something of benefit for a lot of people even if his delivery was a little strong. I wish he was still posting on here because he had a lot of information and a good mind.
Remember this is the world of the computer where fantasy and real stuff gets blurred. I guess we should all have cameras at our computers. In my case you'd see more than you want... Ha, Ha, a old great big boy usually in his skivvies with a big grin on his face sometimes making a gesture with his right hand. Off rant, sorry about the long post, and if you want to see the gesture in person come on over to my house and I'll be glad to show ya...
Old 04-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I’ve found out that if I keep mine between 55 & 62 mph (15-1800 rpm) I get the best mileage from my truck and once I get up to 65-70 mileages goes down 1-2 mpg. This weekend I had about 2,000 lbs in the truck and took it on a slow drive (a 6.5 hour drive at 55 to 65 mph except when I drove though the small towns along the way and 3 stops) and I only used 19 gallons of fuel. FYI, I used the same pump that I fill up at on Friday before the trip on Saturday. For the 381.4 miles that I drove by hand calculating I got 20 mpg and even if you were to add an extra gallon to it I still got 19 mpg. My self I think that was darn good being I had a 15+ mph side wind for 80% of the trip along with 2,000 lbs of weight in the truck between rock and passengers.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I could get 18 from my 68 F-100 with the 390 and toploader 4-speed in the high desert in SoCal. The vacuum gauge was the secret. If I kept it in the 'green' I got great mileage on the steady, but stopping and starting killed it. There's more to life than good gas mileage. I like to think I'm paying for reliability, power and style!
Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry if I offended anyone. I just get a full head of steam when anyone question my integrity. Thanks for all the insight.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:12 AM

Not sure who's getting offended , I'm not , I made the comment , to try to keep on topic .
Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not offended, either (I know you guys were wondering )
Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by John Faughn
Not sure who's getting offended , I'm not , I made the comment , to try to keep on topic .
Hello John, Just to set the record straight for my part, I quoted you because I agree with you. I just wanted to add a little of my own bs to the mix.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

Back on page 13, reply # 187, I discussed making a little friendly wager with RowJ. Not a high dollar deal. Well, anyway, RowJ didn't want to take me up on it, and I have no problem with that. And besides, if I remember what RowJ said, he said it was not that he didn't think a 24V truck could GET 20 mpg, but that over a 1,000 mile length of normal driving, that no 24V truck would average 20 mpg.

Well, he may be right. But a 24V 2WD with a manual transmission driven conservatively (not granny-like, but conservatively) I think could make it.

Anyway, this Saturday / Sunday, I wound up taking MYSELF up on my own challenge from reply # 187.

I towed a 6,000 lb. camper from Montgomery, AL to Fairfax, VA, and averaged 13.35 mpg. Once I dropped off the camper, I fuel up in Woodbridge, VA and hit the interstate to come back home.

I drove from Woodbridge (just south-east of DC) all the way to the east side of Montgomery, AL (where I live). The trip was 774.5 miles. I had rain, fog, and then some really nice weather. I kept the cruise on 70 mph, except like in Richmond and Atlanta, where the speed limit was 55 mph, and I was in downtown traffic (which was bad overnight, but there was some pretty sharp curves, that were a little to fast for 70 mph with a spare tank of fuel in the bed of the truck that could turn over). Also I had to slow down to ~60 mph in some of the denser areas of fog. But I would say I kept the cruise on 70 mph for 95% of the trip.

So, the trip was 774.5 miles ... and I used (drum-roll please) 34.004 gallons. Doing the math, that is 22.78 mpg! Filled to the neck in VA, and filled to the neck in AL. I spent $108 for fuel in AL.

If RowJ had taken that bet, I believe I would have won! So anyway, I'm not saying RowJ is wrong, but I think a properly driven 24V is better than he's giving it credit for.

- JyRO
Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by JyRO
Back on page 13, reply # 187, I discussed making a little friendly wager with RowJ.
So, the trip was 774.5 miles ... and I used (drum-roll please) 34.004 gallons. Doing the math, that is 22.78 mpg!....
If RowJ had taken that bet, I believe I would have won! So anyway, I'm not saying RowJ is wrong, but I think a properly driven 24V is better than he's giving it credit for.- JyRO
Nice Mileage!
Did not go back and check but my original claim was that a 2nd gen, over a 1,000 miles, would not average 20+ mpg. If I did not clarify...my point in saying 1,000 miles was to cover day to day driving. I'm sure it's doable on a long hwy trip...you proved that.

Let me rephrase... I don't believe any 2nd Gen will average over 20 mpg on an annual basis.
Therefore, in my mind, those that claim the average 20 mpg+ are misleading the new members that ask about mileage (which I think was the point of the original discussion).

RJ
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 AM

Just for fun here. My 3rd gen just went 1400 miles on 2 tanks of fuel during a road trip from VA to TX. The first was 23.1 MPG and the second was 18.7. That equals over 20 MPG without ever doing the math. Now for the wierd part. The first tank was through southern Kentucky over all the hills running 55-65 MPH with moderate throttle. The second tank was all running 65-75 MPH constant. The only thing that I can think of helping the first tank of fuel was that we just drug our 5th wheel across VA so I imagine the rings were definatly seated. That tank was only 11.5 MPG. I never know what this truck will get for MPG. It averages 16.8 MPG in town with the other half driving back and forth.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:01 AM

I posted earlier here someplace but I keep very close records on cost per mile, MPG, and lot of other costs.
Today at 8000+ continous miles of buying diesel at the same pump facing the same direction and using the same fill methods, I'm averaging 19.6 mpg.

I'm now driving almost 100% town and very little country so the mileage is down 1 mpg easy and easy to see onthe spread sheet.

I have 3 consecutive 400+ miles before fill on more highway than city due to travling that averaged 20.6 Mpg again same station same pump same direction.

So 20 mpg with a 2nd gen VP truck is easily possible. I've actually got as high as 23 mpg average last year in the summer while traveling. I only note 20+ if I can repeat it and look at the tank before and the tank after so over and under fills can be observed. I don't consider for "bragging" any single numbers for this reason only averages of consecutive tank fills.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by robert chilton
.. The first was 23.1 MPG and the second was 18.7.... Now for the wierd part. The first tank was through southern Kentucky over all the hills running 55-65 MPH with moderate throttle. The second tank was all running 65-75 MPH constant.
Second tank....heading southwest.... welcome to Texas headwinds.
Also, 75 mph. It's painful (great distances), and sometimes dangerous, to drive around Texas too slowly.
(That's my type A personality excuse for heavy right foot and my mileage, and I'm sticking to it.)
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by bentwings
...So 20 mpg with a 2nd gen VP truck is easily possible. I've actually got as high as 23 mpg average last year in the summer while traveling.
That's impressive...but 4x2's don't count (in my claim, anyway). I do believe it's possible in a 2 wheel drive CTD.

RJ
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RowJ
That's impressive...but 4x2's don't count...

RJ
What RJ is trying to say is ... that 2WD's are not real trucks. Kidding.

Actually, I would overall prefer a 2WD DRW. But what I have is a 4WD SRW. Oh well. I always think about how quickly my truck will sell compared to a 2WD when I get ready to sell it. I would love to do a tow/haul with a 2WD DRW with a 6 speed just to see the differences. Oh well.

- JyRO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All you 20+ mpg people