Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

hydrostatic lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beware of older electronic trucks unless you are competent in electronics, all wiring will fail and cause you greif, 90 percent of my day at the dealership is fixing electrical gremlins, on a 96 you can gauruntee that some of the wiring is iffy, also i think that cluster is a datalink dash and all signals are broadcast from the respective ecm to the cluster, indivual parts are available but very sensitive, usually cracked boards cause funky readings, we wont even change parts of a cluster anymore at our shop, to much liability on these older trucks, get the complete factory diagrams from youre local dealer first thing when buying this truck, it will save you money in the long run, also paper diagrams are more expensive than the cd version but i find they are more usefull
Old 02-21-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks, M. I am an electronics guy, but you're right about getting the schematics...and none of that would do me squat if it died on the road. I've seen the dials do some funky stuff, like the speedo spin all the way around, so there are certainly electronic issues there. When it comes to the instrument cluster, I don't need perfection - just basic info., and I'll gerry rig oil pressure and coolant temp. if I have to. Keeping the engine going on the road is my bigger concern.

One thing that bugs me: when I start it up after a week and just let it idle and pop the hood, it looks and sounds great...but after 15 minutes, it just dies. It starts right up, though. I haven't driven it all that much yet, and it hasn't died on me on the road, so I'm not too concerned about this 15min dying. I just hope it isn't something that'll get worse and bite me at some point. Any thoughts about it? There's no sputtering or anything. Then engine just seems to turn off.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 PM

For a 1995 Det. series 60, is there a cool down lockout or something that would prevent the engine from shutting down when the ignition key is turned to off?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 PM

Based on the forum's advice, I barred over the engine with a socket and breaker bar, and got it through the hydro lock. It cranks fine now.

The truck has been sitting a long time. It still cranks fine, but there's no kick at all. The injection pump has a primer button, and a trucker told me that I had to push that thing over and over until it became really tough to push. I've pushed it off and on for at least 10 minutes, maybe 15. It sometimes seems to get a little tougher to push, but not real tough. I've tried starting the engine, but no dice. There is fuel in the tanks. Any advice? Thanks.