Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Bobtailing in IL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bobtailing in IL?

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a used 1978 Freight-liner day cab semi, with a 13 speed trans and Detroit Diesel 6v-92T. The plan is to use it to haul farm commodities (corn, soybeans) to the graineries (SP) around SE Nebraska, where I have family.
I do not yet have a CDL, but know how to drive a semi, as I have helped my cousins' on their farm. If I purchase the Freight-liner, can I drive it on IL roads without a CDL? I will be running without a trailer. I just need to get the rig home, then I will park it and get my CDL when I have the chance. I have heard conflicting info. Some folks say I can run bobtail with my driver's license, as I will be under 26,000 lbs, others say I need a CDL? Because I am in IL, I am betting that I will need a CDL.
Lastly; anyone know if the Detroit Diesel 6v-82T is any good?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only speak for Minnesota. But here you would need at least a class B CDL.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 AM

If you have a class 8 tractor you will need a CDL Class A to operater it, a Class B will get you home without a trailer. Call your DMV and find out if you can get a temp permt to get it home. How far do you need to move it to get home? Do you have a friend that has a Class A CDL.? When you get ready to get your CDL you will need a trailer that has air brakes for the road test.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Look for a better truck, the 6V92 is a decent engine but WAY short on power for what you will be hauling. You will also go broke buying fuel for it.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^All good advice above^^^
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Look for a better truck, the 6V92 is a decent engine but WAY short on power for what you will be hauling. You will also go broke buying fuel for it.
I almost posted nearly the same thing last night but didn't because some seem to think those engines are something great. Find something with some get up and go. You won't be sorry. Generally fuel mileage will be better too. 6-92's didn't seem to have as much power as the old 8-71's.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM

yep, "a" or "b" is what you need. you might get away with a "c" class, but you still need air brakes for any of them. I say just get the class a, with all endorcements and you can drive anything--Its only $60 (in Illinois)

oh, dont run bobtail..your rig is over 16k, thats above a class"d" (and ya need air brakes)

this a exception you could look into when you get the truck to where it needs to be..they may have the same style laws there..

Drivers Exempt (Waived) from CDL Requirements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under state and federal law, certain drivers are not subject to the requirements of the CDL program. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has determined that these exemptions will not diminish the safe operation of commercial vehicles on the highways. Although the following vehicle operators are not required to obtain CDLs, they are required to hold the proper driver's license classification for the type of vehicle that they are operating.

Farm Operators' Exempt (Waived)

The farm operators' exemption is intended to cover legitimate farm-to-market operations by farmers, not commercial grain haulers. CDLs are not required to operate vehicles that are:

Controlled and operated by a farmer, a member of the farmer's family or an employee;
Used to transport farm products, equipment, supplies or a combination thereof to or from a farm (including nurseries and aquacultures);
Used within 150 air miles of the person's farm;
Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and
Used in nursery or agricultural operations.

If the farmer, his spouse and their children, parents on both sides, brothers and sisters on both sides and their spouses are operating a truck-tractor semi-trailer combination or combinations and meet the above criteria, they are also exempted from the CDL Program. However, these drivers must be 21 year of age and the vehicle must have farm plates.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 PM

You would do much better with a cummins n-14 and a 10sp than that detroit with a 13 speed.
I haul grain's, beets,corn,sand,chopped hay, with the n-14 and a large (tall + wide) 6 axle and scale in at 145-156 in a KW800 or an INT Eagle.

Here in Mich i can drive both with just an f (farm) endorsement as long as i am within 150 miles from the farm it is all legal any tractor - trailer + air brakes.

To get the F it is just passing the written test.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 AM

Thanks for all the great input all! I am not too versed on 'big rig' engines, so I didn't know if the Detroit Diesel 6v-92T was any good. I don't want to buy a rig that is underpowered, even for a good price, so I am going to pass on the 78 Freightliner I saw on Craigslist. Glad I asked here first before I wasted my money on the 78. I like the Peterbuilt 379's, but they seem to sell on the high $ side used. Anyway; I will be looking into truck driving schools in the north east IL area, this coming spring, in order to obtain my CDL.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 PM

This may just be MHO but there is no such thing as too much horsepower or torque.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I almost posted nearly the same thing last night but didn't because some seem to think those engines are something great.
They're noisy and sound cool, that's why people buy 'em. Nevermind that they suck fuel faster than you can get it in the tank, leak enough oil to rustproof whatever they're installed in and vibrate so much that you feel like you've been holding onto a drill whenever you drive it.

Originally Posted by rattlerbob5.9
You would do much better with a cummins n-14 and a 10sp than that detroit with a 13 speed.
Yes, even if the Cummins didn't run you'd be better off!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:23 PM

I miss the 79 Brigadier with the 6-71T and 13 speed. Tandem dump, 60MPH top end, drop 34,000 in the box and it would still get 6.5 MPG round trip. Had plans to make an RV out of it once we replaced it, but some idiot went and flopped it.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by scot pa
I miss the 79 Brigadier with the 6-71T and 13 speed. Tandem dump, 60MPH top end, drop 34,000 in the box and it would still get 6.5 MPG round trip. Had plans to make an RV out of it once we replaced it, but some idiot went and flopped it.
Scot Pa,
Funny you should mention a GMC Brigadier. My cousin in NE who farms, just bought a used 80's Brigadier, with dump bed, 10 speed. I think his has an 8-71 blower? He used it this past Fall for harvest, and really liked it! He's going to tow a 'pup' behind it this harvest.

Anyone know if those 90's GMC BRIGADIER semi's, with a seven speed spicer transmission, NO-HIGH LOW, T10 Cummins - are any good lugging a grain/corn trailer? Probably better with a 10 speed?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by broncobilly
Scot Pa,
Funny you should mention a GMC Brigadier. My cousin in NE who farms, just bought a used 80's Brigadier, with dump bed, 10 speed. I think his has an 8-71 blower? He used it this past Fall for harvest, and really liked it! He's going to tow a 'pup' behind it this harvest.

Anyone know if those 90's GMC BRIGADIER semi's, with a seven speed spicer transmission, NO-HIGH LOW, T10 Cummins - are any good lugging a grain/corn trailer? Probably better with a 10 speed?
Good old 8V-71. 8 cylinders at 71 CI for 568 cubic inches.

The more gears you have the better, especially with a small horse, which is about all you can stuff in a Brig because of radiator size constraints. He may, and I would guess probably will, have cooling issues pulling a pup behind the loaded dump, especially during wheat.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by scot pa
Good old 8V-71. 8 cylinders at 71 CI for 568 cubic inches.
8 Horse Power, 71 Leaks.