Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPS Customs Brokerage

Some of you guys wanting parts from the US might find this interesting:

http://www.davidgrant.ca/avoid_ups_plague

http://tip.frikafrax.com/2009/11-112...t-use-ups.html
Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 AM
The Guru

I usually have no issues with USPS (united states postal service) when ever I can. I get the vendor to put on the box used auto parts, no customs, no hassle.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I paid $60 on a $300 order for "customs" a few years ago with UPS. I always try to get it sent USPS now.

I've heard of a few people refusing to accept delivery from UPS that had execessive charges. In the end UPS gave up trying to collect the fees and left the package on their door step when they weren't home. Guess they decided it was easier to let it go then to send it all the way back to the original shipper. Of course you risk losing your purchase that way.....
Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
I paid $60 on a $300 order for "customs" a few years ago with UPS. I always try to get it sent USPS now.

I've heard of a few people refusing to accept delivery from UPS that had execessive charges. In the end UPS gave up trying to collect the fees and left the package on their door step when they weren't home. Guess they decided it was easier to let it go then to send it all the way back to the original shipper. Of course you risk losing your purchase that way.....
When I had a leaky injector line, I had to get another one from the states. It came UPS. It was like a $70 line (I had to pay for the line, then get a refund when I sent the old line back), and it was something stupid like $40 for charges. I refused it. About a week later, it was sitting on the steps, and I got a bill in the mail. Called them, told them I refused it because of the charges the first time. She eventually did remove the charges. I've had issues with them leaving stuff at the door when no one is home, sometimes they'd hide it under the parents tent trailer, so you wouldn't know it had come. I try to get the people I deal with to sent USPS, but its hit or miss. We'll see if my turbo comes USPS or UPS.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 PM

In the states everything is left on the door step.
the paper work is in the package,they don't care
if your home or not.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueboy
In the states everything is left on the door step.
the paper work is in the package,they don't care if your home or not.
Been a victim of that UPS junk. I moved from Lacombe to RD a couple years ago and had my recip analyser sent to Knoxville for service. They just shipped it back to the old address in their books, not the one I had sent from. They just dropped my analyser on the old doorstep and drove away! I had to find it. Then I get an invoice in the mail for the brokerage.

Last time too I had an item shipped back they knocked on the house next to me and then left sayin I wasn't home..I had to go pickup at depot.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Fedex is no better when it comes to brokerage charges than UPS except that Fedex will now send you a surprise bill AFTER the delivery.

USPS has some drawbacks, limited tracking, super slow from the US.
USPS gets very expensive for large packages.

With terrorists now mailing bombs to the US, my used Edge EZ has been in USPS transit for 3 weeks now...

All this is how I've concluded that driving to to Montana to pick up a combined shipment is the best way.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I paid $28.00 brokerage fees on a 39.95 item from the states plus $15.00 shipping from UPS. I never deal with those crooks anymore. If the part I need does not ship USPS, I send it to a friend who then sticks it in the mail for me. How they can charge 70% "brokerage" fees is beyond me.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM

The intent of posting this thread wasnt for us to whine about UPS - thats been done to death. What I get from this is that you can broker your own goods and avoid the stupid fees. Many, many companies will not ship USPS which is frustrating.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
This is why I ship USPS from the DTR Store to our friends North of the Border I would not like to give UPS that kind of money either...
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM

USPS all the way. Never had an issue yet. Thanks Lary for the shipping heads up last time on the Quad boost fooler. That would have been one expensive boost fooler!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgediesel
USPS all the way. Never had an issue yet. Thanks Lary for the shipping heads up last time on the Quad boost fooler. That would have been one expensive boost fooler!!!
My Pleasure, I have tried to learn as I personally don't have those Broker fees down here..... so I tend not to think about them

I do want you guys to get the best bargain for the cost though, so I am getting better at hooking you up with USPS Got to take care of My Canadian Chapter Guys
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 PM

Fedex is not bad, yes they send you a bill after.
But I have yet to pay any of them.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_411
Fedex is not bad, yes they send you a bill after.
But I have yet to pay any of them.
Nice!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel

With terrorists now mailing bombs to the US, my used Edge EZ has been in USPS transit for 3 weeks now...

All this is how I've concluded that driving to to Montana to pick up a combined shipment is the best way.
Actually, the terrorists were using UPS.

I have gotten screwed by insane UPS brokerage fees from the states a few times. I have also gotten bills weeks after receiving the package, and paying shipping at the door. It's only on UPS ground but with fees, it ends up costing more than air.

I've had feed that added 50% to the total cost.

I only use USPS from the states. It always costs within a few bucks of UPS and it may take a few days longer but I've never had any brokerage fees.

UPS SUCKS...!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UPS Customs Brokerage