ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

part suppliers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
part suppliers?

was wondering if any of you guys bought the kool-vue mirror upgrade locally. i dont have a registration with ebay nor do i want to register with koolvue, just to buy one set of mirrors.

i tried the popular truck accesorie guys in edmonton and cant find them. should i be trying somebody else like autobody?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know who got them locally, or even in Canada. You might just have to get them shipped over from the US.. Before these guys came out I just put on the 02 towing mirrors since my 97 didn't have heat anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM

i thought the 3rd gen mirrors wouldnt fit on the 2nd gens. is 02 still considered 2nd gen?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:44 PM

Flip out tow mirrors were an option in the later years of the 2nd gens, you can get them from the dealer. They are around $300 for the last set I bought. I personally think that the heat and power are over rated, as I never really need to scrape my mirrors, and I don't adjust them. If you flip them up and down all the time, then the power would be handy.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a distant photo of the truck with them on. Everything came in the box including (and important) the backing plates for the inside of the door to strengthen the mirror.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Like Tate said, the heat/power thing is over rated.

My truck came with the tow mirrors and once they were set, I never touched them. I don't scrape my mirrors, have never flipped them up and I tow all the time.

The last hail storm we had here smoked one of my mirrors, housing, glass and all so I just replaced them both with a set of regular heat/power mirrors that I had in "inventory".

After I set them, I don't touch them and I have never used the heat except just to check if they worked after I put them on..

It took a couple of tows to get used to the different view in the mirror but after that, doesn't seem to make much difference.

Jeff
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by Tate
Flip out tow mirrors were an option in the later years of the 2nd gens, you can get them from the dealer. They are around $300 for the last set I bought. I personally think that the heat and power are over rated, as I never really need to scrape my mirrors, and I don't adjust them. If you flip them up and down all the time, then the power would be handy.
I like mine, it takes the frost off the mirrors in the winter. Ya you don't need need it, but it make driving easier. My 02 has the standard towing mirrors.

Jason, nice truck buddy. Just keep that foot on the floor more often k...
Old 09-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Totally like my power/heated mirrors. Use the heat function only probably a dozen times a year but right now is when it gets a lot of use. The foggy mornings we've had lately usually cause them to fog up two or three times on my way into Calgary. Also been handy in some of the bad snow storms with wind driven snow.

The power function is also nice for when I tow the big trailer and flip them out. Especially when backing up around a corner as I can pan the mirror out to see whats going on. Also handy when the wife and I are both driving the truck.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For aftermarket towing mirrors on a 2nd gen truckI actually prefer the **** mirrors. Had them on my '01 and liked them better than the flip outs on my '03.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....=****-DG-73500

If I ever wreck a mirror on my '03 I'll probably order a set of these.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 AM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Had to wash it

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Here is a distant photo of the truck with them on. Everything came in the box including (and important) the backing plates for the inside of the door to strengthen the mirror.

Jason,
My advice is to paint that truck and keep it nice! (assuming everything else is tiddly) Just look at your own signature. You've put lots of time and effort into it. If I had it to do over again, I would have kept my '97 dually. You'll have the best of both worlds(12 valve & common rail). Step off your wallet and jump in!
Andy
Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM

spent the morning goin through the dodge parts book.
is there a specific part number? or can i borrow somebodys vin?
right now im getting prices from $200 all the way up to $735. dependin on the mirror style and kit components.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM

did you try custom truck parts? I am sure that when I worked there that we carried that line
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Except it will take them 6 weeks to order them in, they never have anything in stock.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Red_Angus
spent the morning goin through the dodge parts book.
is there a specific part number? or can i borrow somebodys vin?
right now im getting prices from $200 all the way up to $735. dependin on the mirror style and kit components.
Its an upgrade for the 2nd gen, shouldn't need a VIN to get it. I bought two on separate occasions without needing a VIN.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by Lil Dog

Jason, what type of recip where you working on there buddy? A Wauke?

Quick Reply: part suppliers?