ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Moving the calgary...maybe

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
bring cash and lots of it...
I plan on it, especially for the fact that beer is absolutely of the question expensive up there.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM

beer sure is...its enough to make a guy stop drinking...

I havent been to your part of the world but you could do a lot worse than Calgary. Its a good town - pretty busy though. We have a pretty active DTR base, make sure you make it out to some of the GTG's if you come up this way...
Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure what the tread is like on your tires but if they are like others I have seen in California and Texas wrt to tread, you will need to deal with that. Snow and ice require good tread - end of story. Those nice performance tires with really flat tread blocks I see down south won't cut it in an February blizzard.
Calgary recently got voted one of the most affordable cities in North America when you compared house prices to average annual salaries.
Oh yeah, we don't get earthquakes or hurricanes. We did get an F0 tornado this summer.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 PM

Ya well like I mentioned before, to get a work visa its gonna take 6 months to a year before the actual trip. By that time ill have new brakes, tires, and keep my front end in line. With the addition that ill probably be getting new balljoints and general maintance by that time. So the truck will be running real healthy.

Also does anyone know how much a citizenhip costs? Just to see if itd be easier to do that, which I highly highly doubt but hey what the hell right?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 PM

much like the us - you cant just buy citizenship.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 PM

If you're gonna spend any time in Canada, especially in the winter, get a sled (snowmobile). Its pretty much the only thing that keeps me sane over the winter.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 AM

If you want to register the truck up here you would also need the daytime light conversion.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM

From trying to go the other way & actually leave canada I can tell you it is possible to go to school but getting work can be very hard , unless you have specialized skills you may not be able to get a work permit & to get citizenship is a long difficult process , you stand a far better chance if you wash up on a boat as refugee than actually trying to offer the country something valuable . You may want to talk to an immagration lawyer .
I spent 30 years focused on moving to US & never got the door open even with numerous job offers . Personally I am far better with heat than cold & had to leave Canada ,9 month winter get old FAST
Old 08-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheNeckasaurus
Also does anyone know how much a citizenhip costs? Just to see if itd be easier to do that, which I highly highly doubt but hey what the hell right?
Not sure now, '98-'99 in Winnipeg was 10k plus living expenses for a welfare rat/single mom to marry you on paper. You have to live together during processing, file taxes together, etc., once you get the permanent residence you're done, can move out the same day. Be prepared for an alimony suit.
Wouldn't do it if I were you.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
much like the us - you cant just buy citizenship.
Not citizenship but permanent residence, yes Sir, YOU CAN.
Canada Immigration tried really really really hard to convince me that is better for me to return to Canada as a business class than as a spouse of a Canadian Citizen. Told them to go milk a dry cow and wasn't too polite about it.
400k+ will make you a business class landed immigrant(entrepreneur).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...eurs/index.asp
That program right now seems to be temporarily suspended, however 800k loaned interest free to the Canadian Gov't for 5+ yrs will open the doors for you as an investor. Canadian Gov't will manage and invest your money for you tho for 5 yrs then return it interest free. MOTHER F@@@#RS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tors/index.asp
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not a cheap or easy process we have an immigration lawyer/consultant here in the building typically $6-8k in fees and about a 4 year process.Permanent resident is not quite as involved but not far off.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Ya I figured it would be some absolutely ridiculous thing. Well if anyone knows anymore about getting a simple work visa while going to school thatd be great. I have most everything filled out, and $150 for processing fees. My friends parents own a home but they live abroad, so rent wont be expensive being that I grew up with the family. Does anyone know if I have to pay more after the $150? Or just the expense of moving there....thanks guys really helpful!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a link to the people in my building that do the immigration stuff, they are top notch and won't jerk you around, maybe give them a call and see if they can answer your questions. Peter is the owner and a heck of nice guy you can tell them chris mckee sent you if you like
.http://www.vermax.ca/
Old 09-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by ccmckee
Here is a link to the people in my building that do the immigration stuff, they are top notch and won't jerk you around, maybe give them a call and see if they can answer your questions. Peter is the owner and a heck of nice guy you can tell them chris mckee sent you if you like
.http://www.vermax.ca/
Well the guy never answer my email, Im afraid to call him because I dont know what the phone will charge me for an out of the country call.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:05 AM

come on....you cant figure out what it would cost to call a Canadian number?
If youre serious about this - you have to make it happen - worring about a $1 phone call isnt being serious.

Quick Reply: Moving the calgary...maybe