ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Megacab flat deck and Flat deck fabricator in S. AB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Megacab flat deck and Flat deck fabricator in S. AB?

We bought Hemi Durango for the 3rd row seating as we just had our 3rd kid arrieve last week(A boy this time, WOOT!) Got a new trailer to haul behind the Durango but buy the time we got one big enough to handle the bigger family it ended up being 28ft and 6000#. I tried it twice behind the Durango and the Hemi just doesn't quite have enough grunt for it. It pulls it ok but any kind of hill and its downshifting to 2nd and 5000#. Also the fuel just gets sucked back, 6-7mpg with the trailer. I know I could mod it and change the gears but I don't think the milage will improve very much.

So Plan B, Mega Cab with a SRW and automatic this time so the wife can drive it. Problem is I use my truck a lot and having an 8ft box is really handy. I don't want a streched mega with an 8ft box so I'm thinking a flat deck would get back a lot of lost space. I have a design in mind of one with sides and rear gate that fold down flat, horizontally. So a 6x6 deck with 12" sides would become an 8ft wide, 7ft long deck.

Anyone seen anything like this? Anyone bought a basic deck lately, wondering what the price range on them is? $3K? $5K? More?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats on the new son!!

I agree that the really short box (6' 3") 3rd & 4th Gen Dodges are too short. 7' (or even the Ford SuperDuty shortbox at 6' 9") would be much better.

Your flatdeck idea sounds good for your needs plus would be no permanent changes to the truck if you decided to put the box back on or for resale in the future.
I've seen a few long box Mega-cab conversions in Calgary over the years & while they look cool, a truck that long may get tiresome and resale could be an issue.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A mega cab long box is only 6 inches longer then the 4th gen new cabs like my crew cab long box. It is a paion to park (daily driver) but other wise is great for ride and room.

SWS makes nice stuff.. great prices from what i have seen elsewhere. I will be going with one of their decks .. I hope soon.. Take a look..

http://www.swstruckbodiesandtrailers...Num=221#cat221
Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Have looked at a few bale decks made by Falcan Industries in Ft. Macleod, seemed to be a quality product. Not sure if they'd make what you are looking for, but they might be worth a look.
www.falcan.com
Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Geek
A mega cab long box is only 6 inches longer then the 4th gen new cabs like my crew cab long box. It is a paion to park (daily driver) but other wise is great for ride and room.

SWS makes nice stuff.. great prices from what i have seen elsewhere. I will be going with one of their decks .. I hope soon.. Take a look..

http://www.swstruckbodiesandtrailers...Num=221#cat221
I agree 110%,you will get what you pay for,not the cheapest BUT----never had a problem and does not owe me a dime with my 2 place quad trailer from SWS---great product, as i have over 50,000Km on my trailer hauling anything from quads to gravel and close to being over loaded several times,(my bad)not one problem(welds are good). I just grease the bearings 2-3 times a year and go.Several trips a year are hauling supplies back and forth to my lake property at the north end of Gull Lake,everything has to be haul in by truck/trailer----(see pic). This is just one load for the weekend and to date i have over 25 yards of 20mm limestone(each one yard weighs 2700Pounds++++),250 limstone boulders(back of truck) plus several loads of lumber/gravel and and all the other stuff up there.The neighbors have hauled with it too.PS---- the trailer will be worked hard again in 2014 hauling supplies.I sold the 2008 Titanium 36ft fiver last week in the picture-------new 12x45 two bedroom park model to take its place next year.I have some adjustments to do to make it work but will get r done.DW CHEERS
Attached Thumbnails Megacab flat deck and Flat deck fabricator in S. AB?-img_2436.jpg   Megacab flat deck and Flat deck fabricator in S. AB?-img_8642.jpg