Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   ABDTR #5 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/)
-   -   I just had to wash it... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/i-just-had-wash-277693/)

ironbrew 09-23-2010 03:36 AM

fwiw, I had a 94 that had ugly fenders. I asked for quotes for the fenders. Then, because I do trips to Estevan, Sk every now and again, I got a quote there. Half the price from a very well recommended body shop. Might be worth checking out.

Mike Holmen 09-23-2010 10:16 AM

I wouldn't worry about the paint yet. The paint isn't that bad. Come on buddy you need a new turbo. For $7k, I would paint myself, if you had a shop. I'm painting mine, in twenty years.[laugh]

Could put on a big lift and make her look like a war wagon.[laugh]

Homestead 09-23-2010 10:19 AM

Another source for sheet metal is a 1/2 ton truck. There are some crazy deals out there.

I'm looking for a 1500 Sport to use for sheet metal (and sport conversion) for my deer hit incident. I missed getting it but did get to see it in person. It was a 2001 1500 2wd quad, absolutely mint in every way, 45,000 kms for $2000!

An older couple owned it and used it to haul their golf cart to the course during the week. When it wasn't being used, it was parked in the garage and it was rarely driven in winter. They were selling it because they were getting up there and it was a little to big for them to drive around town.

I have found a few good ones out there that are in great shape. Don't care about the drive train and there are a bunch out there with mechanical problems but great bodies and usually interiors. Plus you get all the extra window motors, harnesses, glass and other misc crap that can be a challenge to find on occasion to keep the old girls running. I just haven't found the right one or been fast enough to get the right one....yet!

Not a mad rush anyways, I'm getting used to the one eyed look! [laugh]

Jeff

Dr. Evil 09-23-2010 07:53 PM

That grill guard sure looks good...[laugh] [laugh]

I feel your pain. Both fenders are rusting out real bad on my 98.

Mike Holmen 09-23-2010 08:12 PM

Just brush on some of that armor guard stuff. Your just gonna get rock chipped again any ways. You know if you take the 12v off the road, your going have to bomb the 08...[laugh][coffee][duhhh]

Lil Dog 09-23-2010 10:23 PM

Thanks.. But no TWINS for the 08.. Its just fine thanks..

The grill guard has been great, Thanks Doc. Just trying to see what I want to do.. I could just do the hood and keep driving it.. Not sure what to invest into it.

Mike Holmen 09-24-2010 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog (Post 2846523)
Thanks.. But no TWINS for the 08.. Its just fine thanks..

I take it that Scotty hasn't talked you into it yet....[laugh]

StealthDiesel 09-24-2010 10:11 AM

The crappy paint was common to all manufacturers in the '90's. Falling off, fading quickly, etc..

If I recall I think it was the waterbased primer that all the manufacturers had just switched to. It took them a few years to get it right..[dummy]

Today's paints are all water based and robotically applied. Since they can precisely control the flow & motion
they can spray it as thin as mathematically possible to use the absolute minimum amount of paint in the least amount of time.

Lil Dog 09-24-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen (Post 2846630)
I take it that Scotty hasn't talked you into it yet....[laugh]

Yes he has. We had few sodas and some fine pizza in Regina a couple weeks ago and if money was plentiful, the science would be fun. But alas, this 08 is for my towing and town.

Looks like the popular vote to keep the truck and a paint job is in order. Secretly I want to keep it too, its been my favorite since I got it (just before Doc got to it).

Diesel Dave2 09-24-2010 10:20 AM

Jason...Once things get settled down here in Calgary..Maybe we could paint this thing ourselves..Does RD have paint booths for rent??Got to check if the feds took away all oil base paints from us...What to do a emamel/clear coat mix system...Heard it looks better than base/clear..

Lil Dog 09-24-2010 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2 (Post 2846698)
Jason...Once things get settled down here in Calgary..Maybe we could paint this thing ourselves..Does RD have paint booths for rent??Got to check if the feds took away all oil base paints from us...What to do a emamel/clear coat mix system...Heard it looks better than base/clear..

Dave, you are too generous. I don't think I have the time or skill to do the prep work. I would need to sand and fill it in a few spots, possible body panel repairs. I would leave that to somebody who knows what they are doing.

Dr. Evil 09-24-2010 10:42 AM

Dave you can practice oh J-eh's and do mine after....[whistle]

Lil Dog 09-28-2010 11:04 AM

Going in today to MAACO to discuss my options more formally. Got a few other quotes to nail down. You guys talked me into keeping it! LOL

ccmckee 09-28-2010 12:36 PM

Yeah like that was hard [laugh]

01 Diesel Nut 09-28-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 2846721)
Dave you can practice oh J-eh's and do mine after....[whistle]

Third times the charm lol so he can paint mine next.....[laugh]