Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   ABDTR #5 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/)
-   -   I just had to wash it... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/abdtr-5-123/i-just-had-wash-277693/)

Lil Dog 09-22-2010 03:08 PM

I just had to wash it...

1 Attachment(s)
Well giving the ol 97 the suds this morning and now I'm getting quotes for paint. Sucks when you can peel the paint off with the pressure wand at the car wash and watch it flutter all over the windshield...

Ugh.. Mike, the turbos gonna have to wait.. :(

So far I have 2 places wanting near $7K to do it. Maaco in RD said it could be done for $3K..

Gmanndodgeguy 09-22-2010 04:12 PM

Personally, I'd just take the hood off and take it in for a quick spray. Flat black with red accents. While the hoods off installing that juicy new turbo makes good power sense. See, problem solved....

cheers:cool:

Lil Dog 09-22-2010 04:35 PM

[laugh] sounds like a true BOMBer advice..

The hood was $800 to do but the cab is doing the same over the windshield as well as the crappy paint job I got in a repair to the rear right quarter a couple years ago..

Thanks. :cool:

Diesel Dave2 09-22-2010 07:28 PM

Was the hood repainted once??

Lil Dog 09-22-2010 07:49 PM

The guy at Maaco thought so, but who knows. not since I've had it anyway. But the price isn't outrageous for $3K makes it more doable. I would like to keep the truck. $7K was just not funny.

What do you think? I can't do it myself, not the skill or tools.

DWeiler 09-22-2010 08:01 PM

Dodge had paint problems with there Neon's too in mid 90'S----Our 02 chevy trailblazer had similar problems + rust on the inside of the door sills----dealer said the rust would have to be right though before any warranty.I called bullsheet to his face,by the time that happens the warranty would be done.I patched it up and dumped it .I read on trailvoy.com that this was a common problem with them that year and they knew it,even sent pics to GM and told them thanks for the defects and consider this the last GM i would ever buy.Of course thry were real concerned after i sold it.

Diesel Dave2 09-22-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog (Post 2845848)
The guy at Maaco thought so, but who knows. not since I've had it anyway. But the price isn't outrageous for $3K makes it more doable. I would like to keep the truck. $7K was just not funny.

What do you think? I can't do it myself, not the skill or tools.

Calgary is even worse for price...I fellow in my area has a 2005 dodge club cab...He took it in for a price to repaint....$8K and no bodywork....just paint...Thats why he wants me to paint his truck...I had the same problem with peeling on the orginal paint...Depending who you talk to...one says to seal the orginal paint and some say just feather sand the damaged area,scuff the truck,shot the base and clear...Don't know.....I painted(my truck) the whole truck with sealer,wet sanded then shot the base and clear..

Here is a funny one...I took a tailgate about 5 months agao...to Macco,just to see what they charge...Well it was $800...:o

For that price...I said I hope there is a guarantee on the paint...The guy said no guarantee or warranty on paint...But we guarantee that you will have dust nibs in the clear...I thought he was joking...But no...He was serious,that why we don't warranty our paint...[duhhh]

Don T 09-22-2010 08:39 PM

Some places the paint on my 95 ram looks and feels rough to the touch. I took the truck to a guy who does most of the older cars in my area for a price to repaint. He said all the paint will need to go because the factory prime is **** and will need to be removed. He will two part epoxy and paint then a clear coat for $ 5 th. I will have it done in the spring. To hand sand my truck with the eight foot box removed and repaint the truck for that price and do it the way it should have been done. well I know with 261 k on the truck I will get at least five more years service from my truck after paint. Sounds good to me lol.
t

Lil Dog 09-22-2010 10:33 PM

The MAACO guy in RD was warrantying the paint job for as long as I own it and was just going to mask the stainless on the bottom and paint the rest of the rig. I didn't get into the details of how he was going to strip/sand/prep it today.

The hood only was $800. For the truck he figured the paint cost was around $1900 for the truck then labour on top for the $3k. Rust extra of course. But the truck is pretty straight, few bubbles on the bottom of the front fenders.

My dilema is whether to keep it as my work truck and put this money into it or just say enough and find something else. Problem is selling the truck with the paint coming off in sheets.

Don T 09-22-2010 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog (Post 2845948)
The MAACO guy in RD was warrantying the paint job for as long as I own it and was just going to mask the stainless on the bottom and paint the rest of the rig. I didn't get into the details of how he was going to strip/sand/prep it today.

The hood only was $800. For the truck he figured the paint cost was around $1900 for the truck then labour on top for the $3k. Rust extra of course. But the truck is pretty straight, few bubbles on the bottom of the front fenders.

My dilema is whether to keep it as my work truck and put this money into it or just say enough and find something else. Problem is selling the truck with the paint coming off in sheets.

You know what you got now,but buying another truck sometimes does not pay off

Lil Dog 09-22-2010 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Don T (Post 2845959)
You know what you got now,but buying another truck sometimes does not pay off

Good point. My good friend said the same thing.. Better the devil you know than the one you don't . I know what this thing needs to stay road worthy, another rig would be an investigation as it would not be new.

Diesel Dave2 09-22-2010 11:05 PM

Yes Jason....you would cry later if you sold it...[laugh]

Is the only rust on the fenders???What I would do is purchase the aftermarket fenders like I did....I was surprized that the fit was very good...Its not that bad splitting the inner wheel well from the fender(spot welds)....

Tate 09-22-2010 11:48 PM

J, I have a spare fender in storage right now. Its straight, I don't if there is rust, pretty sure its rust free. I think its a passenger side. Either way, you're welcome to it if you want a good fender.

Lil Dog 09-23-2010 12:08 AM

Thanks Tate/Dave for the parts and advice.. we'll see what it looks like once I can poke at it. I saw some good fenders on carparts.com fairly close to here too, but a new skin might be worth the dough..

Diesel Dave2 09-23-2010 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog (Post 2845993)
Thanks Tate/Dave for the parts and advice.. we'll see what it looks like once I can poke at it. I saw some good fenders on carparts.com fairly close to here too, but a new skin might be worth the dough..

If you go the aftermarket way...The fenders are sport lights ready..