ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Front diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No I have not tried with just the stub, I thought about doing this was not sure if the axle had to be in or not, not wanting to cook another bearing in the mean time. I will give that a try.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:47 PM

Just a question,
the face of the axle mates against the hub face, between the hub and the steering knuckle there is the dust shield, is there also suppose to be a shim.

Maybe the hub is bottomming out on the axle shaft torquing up but not seating properly. everything seems to be seated properly.
I can't download a picture from the manual.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did not have any shims in mine
Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Cool, tomorrow I am off to the shop to see what they think, if they come up with nothing then I am going to do as winkdemon suggested with just the axle stub.

If all else fails new diff time, easier and cheaper to replace the whole diff then replace parts that fail while trying to figure it out. Thats my thoughts anyways.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:41 PM

Make sure you look over the 'new' one well. My friend bought a used diff, and it was bent just like the one he was replacing. That was on an '05. Not sure if the AAM's like to bend, or it was just shear luck getting a second bent diff.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
Just a question,
the face of the axle mates against the hub face, between the hub and the steering knuckle there is the dust shield, is there also suppose to be a shim.

Maybe the hub is bottomming out on the axle shaft torquing up but not seating properly. everything seems to be seated properly.
I can't download a picture from the manual.
This is kinda the area where I would expect to see the problem. I believe there is supposed to be a big washer behind the hub nut. If that washer was missing, perhaps the nut is bottoming out on the threads of the stub shaft but not putting the proper clamping force on the bearing. It's just a thought.

Also, I remember a shim on the second gens behind the dust shield but I don't recall one on the third gen trucks. (I may be wrong though. It happened once before. )
Old 03-21-2010, 10:18 PM

torquefan thats kinda what I am leaning towards. I can't post a picture from the manual it won't let me copy it, but it shows a spacer behind the hub, not sure exactly, but the 03-05 manuals show it. Dodge has no info on one, this may just be my problem, find out tomorrow hopefully.

I hear the concern of a bent diff, I doubt my diff is bent, but you never know the roads are pretty bad. .

I hate doing parts replacement to find a problem and so does my pocket book, which is starting to get empty. hopefully I find the problem soon.

winkdemon what services do you provide, you own your own shop, what part of Calgary if I need your services.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

winkdemon what services do you provide, you own your own shop, what part of Calgary if I need your services.[/QUOTE]

Just about anything,yes and S.E

Best to call him at (403)264-1221...
Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM

I took my truck into a shop here in Red Deer, didn't even have to look at the truck to tell me it was a bent tube. After discussing the issues I have had with bearings he suggested to go get the front end alignment checked and we can go from there. I opted out of spending another $200 for that.
He is very familar with this problem and says all the third Gen models suffer this.

Leaves me to think that many of these short wheel bearing issues people are having may not be due to bad bearings, but more with bent tubes. I personally have bent a tube on anything but a Jeep, that jeep had been jumped on a regular basis so it was fair.
Turns out when I go to Dodge they have never heard of a bent axle unless it was in an accident. Surprise surprise, yet the OEM axles are on Back order. But they can get rebuilt ones better then OEM go figure.

Should have my truck back tomorrow let you guys know how it all goes. Man are used parts expensive.

Tell tale signs the tubes are bent, premature bearing problems and axle seals leaking.

To bad Calgary was to far away for me to nurse the truck down there. winkdemon thans for your help, hopefully I can bring some serivce your way. You number is now in my wallet.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 PM

bent tube ,,, will not make the bearing go out in a few hundred km ,but hopefully that fixes you up and you should like into a axle support so this one stays straight . and i run a complete service auto shop from light welding to diff rebuild and everything in between, lifts, upgrades ,
Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 PM
The Guru

What every you do keep the old housing. I would like to check to see how bent the housing is.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Make sure you look over the 'new' one well. My friend bought a used diff, and it was bent just like the one he was replacing. That was on an '05. Not sure if the AAM's like to bend, or it was just shear luck getting a second bent diff.
I Was told by shop manger at a gear center it is quite common to see bent housings
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Ok I will get the old housing.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 AM

I am curious to see as well. My 06 has had me wondering about the front axle too
Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 AM
The Guru

A few measurements should tell the story. So you getting a complete rebuilt front unit or just a new housing?

Quick Reply: Front diff