ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Espar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog

Question, should they be disassembled and cleaned?
YES - or it will be like mine and quit working. Brett recommended running Kerosene or GAS ocassionally through it for 20-30 minutes at a time. Its also important to ocassionally run the Espar in the summertime to keep everything in working order.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM

That being said, I've had mine on two different trucks over the last 4.5 years, never been apart, and other than the anti-freeze issue when I first put it in my 12v, it works everytime. It does flame out every once in a while, but it lights back up in about 5 minutes.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 PM

i have been having issues with mine as of late, and towards the end of last year. sometimes it just won't start, and sometimes it starts then cuts out in high.

today i took off the exhaust and intake, and the ports seemed to be clear and open. the tubes themselves also were free of any blockages. i re-routed the intake and shortened it (didn't cut anything, just pressed it into itself to shorten the flex tube). also, remounted the fuel pump so it is now horizontal as per brett's recommendations in an older thread. i thought my issue last year may have been gelling fuel in the winter, but it hasn't been cold enough yet for that to be an issue and i have been experiencing similar issues.

hopefully what little i did will work to get it back to how it once was. if not, i'll try the kerosene or gas, and if i still have issues then i'll try some disassembly and cleaning . . . hopefully it doesn't get to that point.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 PM

All heaters get to the point of needing a little tlc, some sooner then others. Tate's nearly 5 years untouched is an exception for sure. Normally you get about 2 years between servicing them. If only run on kerosene, then they seem to do about 5 years between services. The gasoline ones so rarely need service most places don't even keep parts for them.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 PM

brett -
if it keeps acting up on me as described - should i try running some kerosene (or gasoline??) through it?

if it does need some tlc - any special parts needed to replace? or can everything just be cleaned and put back together?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 AM

FYI Tate, mine went 5 maybe 6 years before it crapped out...was on two different trucks as well.

yet another thread successfully derailed....
Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
FYI Tate, mine went 5 maybe 6 years before it crapped out...was on two different trucks as well.

yet another thread successfully derailed....

So you're saying I've got another year or so before mine takes a poop?

OT, I'm at your old place of employment again.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
So you're saying I've got another year or so before mine takes a poop?

OT, I'm at your old place of employment again.

Never said that....

Lucky you...how many day sd?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
brett -
if it keeps acting up on me as described - should i try running some kerosene (or gasoline??) through it?

if it does need some tlc - any special parts needed to replace? or can everything just be cleaned and put back together?
Kerosene is preferred, you have to watch it pretty close with gasoline.

You will need to pick up some gaskets and O rings. If you open it up.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Jason, there is comprehensive manuals on the ESPAR website
Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM

thanx doc - i will check the site for the maintenance manuals.

silly question - where can i get kerosene? i have never needed it before . . . does it need a special container - or does it come in a container?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM

http://www.espar.com/html/service/do...technical.html

Kerosene is a bit expensive - about $26 a gallon....it usually come in a plastic jug something like windshied washer fluid. You should be able to get it at Canadian Tire, UFA etc. etc. I wonder if you could get it at a bulk station?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:26 PM

just found some in the gregg's catalogue. says it is 'grade k-1 clear kerosene'

just have to call for a price now. will this work? or is there a different grade which would be more applicable?

same as this stuff here at home depot
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Brett, I have an Wabasto waiting to go in. Can I also controll it from my Compustar or is that just a Espar feature?

I hooked up the trunk output from my remote start which sends a ground signal to pin 7 on my Espar timer. Thats all it takes quite easy.

The Webasto timer looks identical to the Espar and looks like it is wired the same aswell.

http://www.techwebasto.com/heater_main/907609.pdf
Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flame out on high is typically an air leak in your fuel supply.. You can hear it when the fuel pump sucks air and starts clicking, normally you can't hear it. I get leaks in the fuel from the tank tube I used on the OEM tank port all the time and just haven't gotten to the dedicated dip tube for the heater. Mine froze off on the intake side last year due to a spot of high humidity and sudden temp drop. After I blew that out, its been fine. Works, been using it for a month now since the summer 2 months off.. LOL.

Quick Reply: Espar?