ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Election on Monday

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Election on Monday

Ok, I really hope I don't start a politics war, wrong part of the site for that. I was just wondering who people think is going to win on Monday.

I expect we are in for a PC minority gov't.

I believe a provincial minority gov't would be a first for Alberta but don't quote me on that, I haven't done all my research yet.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rural areas will be Wildrose,cities may be to hard to call,my prediction----Wildrose takes 45-50 seats,PC's 30-35.rest to the hard lefties.DW
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Time to clean house.....
Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM

In all honesty, who cares.

The "promises" made now become back burning issues after the election anyways. Only the faces change, politicians are all the same when the dust settles.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't care for any of the leaders, running this round...

I think we are screw either way....
Old 04-21-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Homestead
In all honesty, who cares.

The "promises" made now become back burning issues after the election anyways. Only the faces change, politicians are all the same when the dust settles.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
I really don't care for any of the leaders, running this round...

I think we are screw either way....
Thats the problem...not enough people care.

Any time you tell people to go out and vote, you get two typical responses. First, they will say their vote does not matter, who cares.

Unfortunately in the last Alberta election 60 per cent of voters felt the same way and therefore we didn’t have an accurate representation of what Alberta wanted.

Second, those who do not vote may say that the person they vote for never wins so what is the point. While it can be frustrating, every vote you make for someone not considered the front runner sends a message to the ruling government about what the public in your riding wants.

These excuses are nothing more than, well, excuses. You were born with the right to vote

Put it this way, if the election comes and goes, the winning party takes power and you don’t agree with their decisions, well I hope you at least voted.

You have no right to complain about the government if you did not take the time to at least cast a ballot and make your voice heard.

Voting is your right and responsibility. Voting is one of the most important ways you can make clear what matters to you. However you choose to vote, know the candidates' platforms on the issues you care about. If you feel that no matter which way you vote, you are going to get screwed, vote for the the one that is going to screw you the least.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by shlen
Thats the problem...not enough people care.

Any time you tell people to go out and vote, you get two typical responses. First, they will say their vote does not matter, who cares.

Unfortunately in the last Alberta election 60 per cent of voters felt the same way and therefore we didn’t have an accurate representation of what Alberta wanted.

Second, those who do not vote may say that the person they vote for never wins so what is the point. While it can be frustrating, every vote you make for someone not considered the front runner sends a message to the ruling government about what the public in your riding wants.

These excuses are nothing more than, well, excuses. You were born with the right to vote

Put it this way, if the election comes and goes, the winning party takes power and you don’t agree with their decisions, well I hope you at least voted.

You have no right to complain about the government if you did not take the time to at least cast a ballot and make your voice heard.

Voting is your right and responsibility. Voting is one of the most important ways you can make clear what matters to you. However you choose to vote, know the candidates' platforms on the issues you care about. If you feel that no matter which way you vote, you are going to get screwed, vote for the the one that is going to screw you the least.
Very good post. Don't vote by party lines, actually research the platforms and the candidates. Last thing we need is an American style political system, that is so blind to one party, that they can't see how similar they really are. Vote with your head.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well said Shlen.

People who don't have the right to vote are sacrificing everything to get that right so it just boggles my mind that those who can vote don't.
Voting is such a valuable priviledge that no one should take it for granted.

As for politicians, I've resigned myself to the fact that they all are or will be corrupt at one point. It's the nature of the beast.

Ralph Klein, Jack Layton, Joe Clark, etc, Every party, right wing, left wing, they have all been or done something corrupt at one point.

So I just try to vote for the best business person who actually understand economics. And lately, who actually understands what are underlying causes in the European collapse.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:59 AM

There are two kinds of economics StealthDiesel, the free market risk and reward economics where a business takes a risk and gains a reworded if they succeeded. In government economics success results in loos of funding and failure results in continued or greater funding in the future.
In short government agencies task with education, healthcare you name it are paid to fail.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just a reminder for everyone to get out & vote.

It could not be closer. http://threehundredeight.blogspot.ca/

While many have said it's been a negative campaign, I would disagree & say that it's been highly intense & dramatic.
Lots of choices, lots riding on this election makes for an exciting & volatile race.

As for my Vancouver Canucks, at least I'll have lots of time for spring chores this year...
Old 04-23-2012, 04:22 PM

PCs have been in power for 41 years in Alberta........ every problem in the province today is on their heads. their is a viable choice, that doesn't include communist NDP, or big government red liberal.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Gonna be 45 years now!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 AM
The Guru

The real funny thing is the pre-election polls were so wrong on this election.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Same ole, same ole. Ugh. I just moved into a house that was built in 1977 - same family lived there since it was built - and there's this entrenched, gummy grime in certain spots of the house. Needs a gooooooood scrub and cleaning. I figure it must be the same in government.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by pistazie
Same ole, same ole. Ugh. I just moved into a house that was built in 1977 - same family lived there since it was built - and there's this entrenched, gummy grime in certain spots of the house. Needs a gooooooood scrub and cleaning. I figure it must be the same in government.
Good post Daniel, I agree as I too want change but to be honest things here in alberta are pretty good shape considering the shape of the rest of thw world. Good luck scrubbing down the new to you home, I have tons of yard work to get done this year, with a very limited budget. and a even smaller truck budget.

Quick Reply: Election on Monday