ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Common Rail Injection Timing Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I like your idea, how fast is your sampling rate on your data acquision equipment. You could record each firing event for the entire pass or dyno run. I think it wouldn't be hard to do. You can see whats actually occurring and adjust stuff, to prevent nukes
You would only need to be as fast as the ECM processor, I don't have the right stuff for it. I don't do multichannel acquisition without an analyzer. But I would think your tickle-trunk should have that sort of stuff..
Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
You would only need to be as fast as the ECM processor, I don't have the right stuff for it. I don't do multichannel acquisition without an analyzer. But I would think your tickle-trunk should have that sort of stuff..
Who me, never... Ya I could do some neat stuff. Anyways, its going to have to wait...Priced out some neat aquision equipment, you even can do some controls with it. Anyways...
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for the input guys & answering my questions. I still have lots to learn.

The timing parameters are quite vague on the CR Smarty & even vary from the Revo to the Revo TNT, but at least you can control the parameters with the Smarty.
With other programmers, who knows what they are doing with timing, pressure, etc...

To tune a fuel injected gasser, hours are spent on a dyno customizing the ECM programming. (My 5.0L Mustang has spent 2 x 4 hour sessions
on a dyno getting the tune right with a programmable ECM using a wideband O2 sensor).

I rarely hear of someone doing this with a diesel though. I would think that 4 hours on a good loading dyno with a Smarty on a modified CR would be the way to dial it in???

While the older engines do have some advantages, there are advantages to the new engines also.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
I rarely hear of someone doing this with a diesel though. I would think that 4 hours on a good loading dyno with a Smarty on a modified CR would be the way to dial it in???
The problem is you can't really tune to an A:F ratio like on a gasser, and EGT's aren't a reliable indicator of whats going on. You could definitely 'tune' to peak power with a programmer, but who knows what the longevity is because its still just blind guess work.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
The Guru

You can get O2 sensors installed at the tail pipe. I rather tune my stuff up on the fly as I'm driving. As good as dynos are, they can't adjust your tune for everything.

My best tuning device is to hook-up my RV and go find a big hill, if I make it up, then I coast down, only to try the next one.

You find issues pretty quickly.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Trial by fire... I love it
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM

If you want a better understanding of how the timing tables work, go to efi lives site, download there softeware (its free) and go to dieselplace and download a stock file and take a peak at it, also download a modifyed tune for the same engine code. I find that dynamic timing makes way more sense since I got into the EFI live stuff.