May
51.61%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

2010 AFI dyno event

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable
I plan on racing there that weekend too... I really hope to get on the dyno before that though to get everything dialed in.. I will let you know Mike and Tate, hopefully it will work with your schedules,, I would like it Mike if you could be there to help me dial in the wastegates on the turbos

Kevin
hey kev i saw a pic the other day of a guy that ran regulators in the cab to get his wastegates dialed in on the go. just a thought
Old 01-29-2010, 08:14 PM

I would say get an gauge for the interstage piping (can be fitted into the boost signal to the wastegate so you know how much changes. Setting the wastegates from the cab would be a slick setup, and for tuning changes at the track would make it easier.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
The Guru

They have electronic controllers available as well. You'll need at least three pressure gauges, one for the primary, secondary and one for the drive pressure. Intially, I would just put the in-cab adjustable wastegate controller on the secondary. I don't know how much boost you want to run. You might want to limit the primary pressure, so you don't blow head gaskets. Running 30-35psi on the primary, you should have no issues getting to 80psi. Add NOS, you'll might need to start small shots and see what happens. A few quick pulls or dyno spins would be the ticket to tuning everything in.

I can come up and help pull some wrenches. It would be fun to help move the project along. I think next week, I'm helping my brother fix his truck I can see what works for Tate, if he has time.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I can see what works for Tate, if he has time.
I have lots of time. Its just finding out when that time is is the hard part.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM
The Guru

Looks like everyone is staying at the super 8 in Abby for the BD event. Anybody from here going? I think that my brother and I are in for that weekend. It should make for a fun weekend. We can bug lightspeed for another dyno event down the road, or hopefully AFI.

Kev, would you come out even if your truck isn't done? A fun weekend of racing is enough to put the big spark back into finishing up your truck. You could fly in, just like a rock star.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:46 PM

I should likely be attending the BD event, lookin forward to a good time.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM

I am fairly confident I will have my truck done. Really a good couple of weeks should have it ready to roll.
My biggest job right now is cleaning it all up and giving it a paint job. Then cutting out the box, mounting the fuel cell and battery, running the lines (fuel and battery) mount the tranny coolers.. just little crap like that.. nothing really super major. A couple three guys could have it done in a week easy. My neighbour is going to weld the cage etc.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Looks like everyone is staying at the super 8 in Abby for the BD event. Anybody from here going? I think that my brother and I are in for that weekend. It should make for a fun weekend. We can bug lightspeed for another dyno event down the road, or hopefully AFI.

Kev, would you come out even if your truck isn't done? A fun weekend of racing is enough to put the big spark back into finishing up your truck. You could fly in, just like a rock star.
what are the dates on that mike i want to hit that and maybe a couple events in the states this year
Old 01-31-2010, 01:01 AM

may 8 and 9th.

hey on those boost controllers, you dont happen to have brand names or part numbers for them by chance?

Also as for data logging, I need some ideas and such (Mike)

ripped the dash out tonight, have pulled at least 60 or 70 lbs out of there so far
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 AM

may 8 and 9th.

hey on those boost controllers, you dont happen to have brand names or part numbers for them by chance?

ripped the dash out tonight, have pulled at least 60 or 70 lbs out of there so far
That thing is really going to end up a rollin' tin can............................love it!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
The Guru

may 8 and 9th.

There is actual wastegate controllers and ones the you build. They make tons of different pnuematic solenoids, which you can use (Nos, wastegates, and so on). Find a cheap 12VDC controller and pressure transducer. If you want data acquision, you can buy that all in one unit. I read in one of my electronic sales mags, a 12vDC PLC style controller, 10 input, 20 outputs. They also make software to record data. It uses ladder logic, so its easy to program. Less than a second scan rates. That way you know whats its doing as well. I'm going to build one myself.

What you using for light timer? I'm glad that she's moving along for ya. If Tate can get some time off, we could head-up and help out. I'm pretty slow right now. My brother D-max is having issues keeping out the motor oil from the coolant, so I might head-up north to drink a few of his beers.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Going to head out to the garage today to swiss cheese the metal in the dash.. then might even get it mounted back in there, put the skin back on, no one will notice the difference. LOL.. might even get the wife out there with some degreaser to clean in the engine bay too
Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM

sorry dont have names kev just saw it in the mag. it was that silver doge with triple turbos. it has a picture of them on the seat. they look like tiplical industrial regulators not a "boost controller" per say.

kev have you cut off your frame behind your rear springs? if not theres some weight to be lost?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
The Guru

Kev, you have any idea what springs you have inside the gates? You could run your shop air pressure to them with an adjustable air pressure regulator and see what pressure they open at and how fast they open. Your dumping the air to air intercooler right? You could put the NOS nozzles into the air tubing going into the intake.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Intercooler is gone, I unfortunately dont have a regulator.

Quick Reply: 2010 AFI dyno event