ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

12 Valve Conversion Help & Tips???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rage_blue
isn't 5 inch a benificial after 600hp?
Personally I think it is not. Just to keep one thing in mind, the turbo outlet is only 4" not 5, so it is going to bottle neck right there. I have never once heard concrete proof that a 5" exhaust will increas HP. Trust me if I thought it would, it would be on my truck!

Kevin
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by JHansen
That should be a sweet rig. I love the old body style....I have an '80 W200 sitting outside the house right now that I use for a knockaround/yard truck. 440/NP435-could use a 205 swap in place of the 208 that's in it now but that's a project for another time. This summer I was trying to find a Crew Cab long box to swap a CTD into-but I kinda let that one slip to the backburner for now. Went on a parts-truck acquiring spree in anticipation of it though-there are 3 '80s and a '77 sitting waiting to donate....

I would think a swap to a wastegated turbo ala HX35 should help the bottom end a ton by getting the boost/fuel going quicker. I'm with the others about keeping the fuel in check without an aftercooler though. Maybe a good time to add one? Thought I read somewhere about a PSD aftercooler being used as a 1st gen upgrade. Should be able to find one of them kicking around from a dead one-god knows there's lots matching that description.

Jason

Jason, I just by chance have my old HX 35 kicking around from my 2001.
I know where there are a few busted up ol' Fords. Maybe I'll get lucky and find an intercooler???
HERE'S MY RED NECK BUSH KILLER!!! MY GOAL WAS AS REDNECK AS I COULD MAKE IT, AND YES, IT HAS DIXIE AIR HORNS ON IT!!
Attached Thumbnails 12 Valve Conversion Help & Tips???-img_0325.jpg   12 Valve Conversion Help & Tips???-n600401899_202087_3934.jpg  
Old 10-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
that being said, it has been proven over and over, that in reality anything bigger than 4 " is just for show,, that is all that is on my truck is a 4"

Kevin
when i went from 4 to 5 inch i loss almost 400 ,,, so how is it not hopefully ??? just wondering not be a *** , just wondering
Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Too big of an exhaust, won't that cause bottom end loss??

I heard the same ...to big and bottle end drops off..I don't know...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Thats just not true though. With out a doubt everything after the turbo is moot, as long as it isn't restrictive.

really you could have 12" of pipe at the turbo outlet and that would be sufficient, if it wasn't illegal to have the exhaust exit before the passenger compartment.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 PM

isn't 5 inch a benificial after 600hp?
no, I saw it proven mathmatically once. the volumetric output of the 5.9 at rated speed and load, is less than the max flow rate for a 4" id tube. if you follow what I'm saying. the 6B cummins can only make so much air output. which a 4" tube can easily handle.

EGTs won't drop drastically if you go to say 7" pipe..........EGTs are a reflection of the internal temperature of combustion right. So... you have to take fuel out or put more air in to lower egts, or water/meth to control egt...but that raises cylinder pressures. its a big slippery slope........
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
The Guru

Jamie, you gonna put in air bags in the front? Or just put in heavier leafs? I wanted to do a older power wagon, the older wagons have a nice look to them. You changing the axles in the front and back? They might be another weak spot, so you might not want to crank up to much power. Being a 360 truck you're probably running 9 1/4in diff. I would try to find larger axles from a newer diesel truck. dana 60 up front and throw in a dana 80's in the back. Being a mud truck run 4in stacks, so nothing will get hung up. Most of the exhaust stuff is ready available and you could build a system on the cheap. I ripped off a few exhaust systems on a few logs, so it doesn't hurt as much when in only a few dollars. Nice truck
Old 10-23-2008, 10:48 PM

the theory of 5 inch exhuast being worse than 4 inch is that your not putting out enought exhuast to fill the pipe so it creates back pulses which slow the flow and turbine wheel down. Now once you run past 600 hp you put out enough flow to fill that pipe and it is benificial. This isn't my theory and i can't remember who told it to me to give them credit.
Personaly a 4 inch down pipe that tapers into a 5 inch gradualy would probable be the best. seams like when they try to put a bigger pipe on exhuast systems they just crimp a big pipe down to a smaller pipe to make it bolt to the turbo. not very smooth for exhuast flow i think.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Jamie, I LOVE THAT TRUCK!!! Pretty sure it has a 60 up front looking at the pics of the front hubs. Imagine it's a 60 in the back too-maybe a 70?

Dad had a number of this body style when I was a kid as work trucks....and I drove a '76 D100 for quite a while as a young punk. Every time I see one, it brings back a ton of good memories. Guess that's why I went on the parts-truck buying mission. One of the '80's that I picked up was a D150-360/727...air/tilt/cruise/power windows (1st year for that)/power locks/sunroof/leather seat(AFAIK only year for that)/AM-FM-cassette/turbine wheels (1st year for them) in black and silver. I would have killed to have had that truck when I graduated in '86 (dating myself now....)-but by the time I got to it, the rust monster had pretty much killed it. I did take it for a rip a time or two around the gravel before I parked it and thought about what could have been!
Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Jamie, you gonna put in air bags in the front? Or just put in heavier leafs? I wanted to do a older power wagon, the older wagons have a nice look to them. You changing the axles in the front and back? They might be another weak spot, so you might not want to crank up to much power. Being a 360 truck you're probably running 9 1/4in diff. I would try to find larger axles from a newer diesel truck. dana 60 up front and throw in a dana 80's in the back. Being a mud truck run 4in stacks, so nothing will get hung up. Most of the exhaust stuff is ready available and you could build a system on the cheap. I ripped off a few exhaust systems on a few logs, so it doesn't hurt as much when in only a few dollars. Nice truck
hey the 9 1/4 and dana 44 is a strong set of diffs , i ran a 450hp 383 in my truck and i have never had a problem with them other things yes lol but not the diffs ,,, here is a few pics of my truck
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
The Guru

Its not the hp to worry about its all that extra torque that you'll have. Mix in the sloppy guey mud and big wheels. You could have issues, Jamie will just baby the ride anyways and it will be show shape. I would also put more skid plates on it. I tend to break stuff. I wish I had more space here so I could have more toys. I would just find a crate 360 engine. Its so much lighter than the 5.9L and you'll wont be using the front bumper to dig out local mud pits.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 AM

hey mike ,,,,, my 383 450 hp at 4000rpm 473 ftp at 3500 and the weight of it is 25 pounds less then a stock small block .and it likes 5000rpm it has been there alot lol... just one thing THERE IS NO SUB FOR CUBES .. and it is fun as hell to walk all over people in a big old muddy truck . and if jamie is going to ran boggers he will need better axles . boggers are like having 50 shovels on every corner lol ... i have had twosets of them . i like the tsl's myself drive nicer ,,, but that is my two cents
Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the theory of 5 inch exhuast being worse than 4 inch is that your not putting out enought exhuast to fill the pipe so it creates back pulses which slow the flow and turbine wheel down. Now once you run past 600 hp you put out enough flow to fill that pipe and it is benificial. This isn't my theory and i can't remember who told it to me to give them credit.
Personaly a 4 inch down pipe that tapers into a 5 inch gradualy would probable be the best. seams like when they try to put a bigger pipe on exhuast systems they just crimp a big pipe down to a smaller pipe to make it bolt to the turbo. not very smooth for exhuast flow i think.
This "theory" has been dyno proven. Going to a 5" setup has no benefit and is actually a detriment to flow in the pipe. Its not so much the pulses, but you want lamilar flow, that being all the fluid is flowing in one direction in a straight line (the main reason we use mandrel bent pipes). The large pipe causes turbulence, especially at low flow ie. low rpm and then artifically causes "backpressure" or loss in the system. If you can get lamilar flow in the piping with little pressure loss, you actually get a scavenging effect and the flow increases in efficiency.

Most guys in the 600 club have compounds where the primary is a 5" outlet anyway.

Jamie, when you have the engine in your hands, call me.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
The Guru

If you have the money, go with a 392 hemi. Light weight and tons of HP for sling mud. Rev's out good. An RB motor done with parts to 500in and aluminum heads, would be another good ticket. Tons of different combo available. A diesel engine would work nice to, heavy though. Even a good rebuildable engine is the same money as crate engine from summit or jegs.

If it was my ride, I would do it on the cheap. Do a re-ring and hone, find some rebuilt heads. A spray engine can overhaul. Find a carb that works or do a quicky rebuild on the old carb. Find more mud, no need to dump in tons cash.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JHansen
Jamie, I LOVE THAT TRUCK!!! Pretty sure it has a 60 up front looking at the pics of the front hubs. Imagine it's a 60 in the back too-maybe a 70?

Dad had a number of this body style when I was a kid as work trucks....and I drove a '76 D100 for quite a while as a young punk. Every time I see one, it brings back a ton of good memories. Guess that's why I went on the parts-truck buying mission. One of the '80's that I picked up was a D150-360/727...air/tilt/cruise/power windows (1st year for that)/power locks/sunroof/leather seat(AFAIK only year for that)/AM-FM-cassette/turbine wheels (1st year for them) in black and silver. I would have killed to have had that truck when I graduated in '86 (dating myself now....)-but by the time I got to it, the rust monster had pretty much killed it. I did take it for a rip a time or two around the gravel before I parked it and thought about what could have been!
Thanks man. I have had it for 16 years now. It's a 60 in the front and rear. the front is full chrome moly and the diff has been rotated. I've spent way too much money on it and I got this 12 valve and auto tranny for basically free...

Quick Reply: 12 Valve Conversion Help & Tips???