4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

SXM Radio constantly cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FMB
Have you contacted Siriusxm directly?
Back to morning brew . . .
Not yet. I've been ASSuming it's a hardware problem.

But after another week or experiences and ideas, I will get them into the loop.

Thank you for making sure all the options are covered.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine only cuts out in the canyon I drive through frequently, and about the same spot every time depending on the time of day, so obviously an obstruction issue. Very annoying. Otherwise it works great.
A good dealer will yank a new one out of a truck on the lot and do a swap to see if it's your radio. That's what my dealer did on my 2003 when my AM kept cutting out many, many years ago (in fact there should be a post on here still about that, somewhere....).
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
...A good dealer will yank a new one out of a truck on the lot and do a swap to see if it's your radio...
Don't know what 1996 - 2016 trucks were like, but this 2017 has the radio built in to the entire computer control system. I have a feeling it's a REALLY big deal.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:15 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MAC702
. . . but this 2017 has the radio built in to the entire computer control system. I have a feeling it's a REALLY big deal.
Probably time to take a different 2017 out for a test drive in the same areas you are having dropout issues. It probably doesn't even have to be a RAM and is probably better if it isn't, just anything with an active Siriusxm radio. If that radio doesn't cut out, it is your Ram's issue. If it does cut out, then it is probably Siriusxm's issue.

If that dealer won't let you, try another. Just a thought.
Back to, well, you know . . .
Old 09-20-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't know what 1996 - 2016 trucks were like, but this 2017 has the radio built in to the entire computer control system. I have a feeling it's a REALLY big deal.
Is this just the touchscreen? It says "radio". Looks big enough to be the radio too.

2013-2017 DODGE RAM 1500 25 35 Touch Screen Satellite Radio 8.4 VP4 VP3 RA3 RA4 | eBay
Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 PM

I think it's getting worse. I'm going to start taking this up some chains (Sirius, Chrysler) this week.

TWICE on just one trip across town today, I had to sit through an entire traffic light with nothing but silence on the radio, to have it work as soon as I was moving again. There was nothing above me but sky.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's getting worse. I'm going to start taking this up some chains (Sirius, Chrysler) this week.

TWICE on just one trip across town today, I had to sit through an entire traffic light with nothing but silence on the radio, to have it work as soon as I was moving again. There was nothing above me but sky.
Please keep us posted. I have been having this problem since I bought my truck here in Canada in Aug. 2014. My 2010 truck did not have this problem.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:10 AM

I called Chrysler this morning. I was very impressed that after one menu option, I was talking to a real person. She took the notes of the description of the problem history and then had me on hold for a bit while she looked into it. She then had me reset the radio (holding volume and tune buttons down for ten seconds until screen goes black) and then wanted to stay on the line while we listened to the SXM. I told her it rarely happens while truck is just sitting there, so she just wants me to call back if (I told her "when") it happens again.

At least the first call is documented.

I really need to set up a camera. I'm guessing they don't realize just how bad it is at times.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
I really need to set up a camera.
I bought a KDLinks X1 from Amazon and have it up to the right of my rear view mirror semi-permanent. I like the camera as it has great picture and you can put in a 32Gb chip and it will record for hours. You can program it for larger or smaller files (time) and I have mine set for 2 minutes.

I don't have any interest in KDLinks other than as a one time customer. If you could mount that somewhere where it has a good view of the radio face, you should have your evidence. Not only does it record video and voice, but if you get the one with the GPS, it also shows where you are when the video is taken. It also comes with its own mapping software so you can track where the camera was all during the trip. Pretty neat.

Here is a
link link
to it. Good luck.
Back to morning brew . . .

Last edited by FMB; 09-26-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: link needed editing
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 PM

I called Chrysler this morning. I was very impressed that after one menu option, I was talking to a real person. She took the notes of the description of the problem history and then had me on hold for a bit while she looked into it. She then had me reset the radio (holding volume and tune buttons down for ten seconds until screen goes black) and then wanted to stay on the line while we listened to the SXM. I told her it rarely happens while truck is just sitting there, so she just wants me to call back if (I told her "when") it happens again.

At least the first call is documented.

I really need to set up a camera. I'm guessing they don't realize just how bad it is at times.
I bought a camera through the Canadian Home Shopping channel a few months ago. It comes with a rear view mirror that straps over the existing mirror and works quite well with 16 hours of recording before it tapes over it. The sound is great and caught me a few times using choice language while driving. My wife was not impressed when she saw the video. This unit cost me 39 bucks Canadian.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue with my SXM except for one thing, every time mine cuts out there is a cell phone tower in sight. On my way to and from work my SXM will cut out in the exact same places. If I'm driving in an area that I am not familiar with and it cuts out a quick look around always locates a cell tower. There is a section of freeway here that turns my SXM useless because it cuts out about every 30 seconds for about 5 miles. I have multiple vehicles that all have SXM and none of them exhibit this behavior. I took mine to the dealer and naturally they could not duplicate the concern but I am convinced that it is the SXM antennae that is causing it. If the dealer is using a test antennae that is spec'd the same as the one on the truck then it would be no wonder that the problem still exists and they say it is normal.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by l1tech
I'm having the exact same issue with my SXM except for one thing, every time mine cuts out there is a cell phone tower in sight. On my way to and from work my SXM will cut out in the exact same places. If I'm driving in an area that I am not familiar with and it cuts out a quick look around always locates a cell tower. There is a section of freeway here that turns my SXM useless because it cuts out about every 30 seconds for about 5 miles. I have multiple vehicles that all have SXM and none of them exhibit this behavior. I took mine to the dealer and naturally they could not duplicate the concern but I am convinced that it is the SXM antennae that is causing it. If the dealer is using a test antennae that is spec'd the same as the one on the truck then it would be no wonder that the problem still exists and they say it is normal.
I travelling yesterday in the city and came to a red light in an open area and my radio cut out and lo and behold there were a set of cell towers off to one side so I think we are onto something here.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:55 AM

I'm 96% in the city. There are towers EVERYWHERE. They've never affected any other satellite radio I've had for ten years.

Yesterday was a trip to another city. The entire Interstate is lined with towers. Cruising at 90 MPH for two smooth hours (I love the West) and I never lost signal. As soon as I was back into stop-and-go traffic in the city, I couldn't get through a song. A couple times it was silent the whole time I was at a traffic light. Trying to listen to baseball and sometimes I couldn't tell what happened.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SXM Radio cutting in and out

Not sure if anyone has had any updates on this problem.
I own a 2012 3500 and have been having this problem for a couple of years and it's getting worse. I also own a 2014 Ford CMAX and I can tell you that the SXM radio on that one is great. We take the same route with both vehicles and the Dodge's reception is so much worse.
Back in 2014 I started experiencing condensation in my cab and after months of trying to figure it out I found that the water was coming in through the rear cab brake light. When it would rain hard (Which it does a lot here in Oregon) I would have a good gallon of water underneath my rear seat. It was pretty bad. Now that it's fixed I don't have this problem but was wondering if the moisture could have done something to the antenna connections.
Just wondering if anyone had a similar thought/experience.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
radio problem or dodge truck problem?
try going to a radio forum not a diesel truck forum

Quick Reply: SXM Radio constantly cuts out