Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/)
-   -   Want YOUR input on bumper designs! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/4th-gen-high-performance-accessories-2010-up-200/want-your-input-bumper-designs-283486/)

Danderson 01-15-2011 04:01 PM

I'd consider a non-winch bumper that follows the stock bumper contours and doesn't stick out much. Adequate air holes,D-ring holders and two additional holes for offroad lights. Fusion offers just such a bumper,but an offering from you would be nice also. I wouldn't want a winch,just protection from that inevitable collision someday.

dieseloutlaw1 01-15-2011 11:29 PM

Like Blake said, knock on wood!! I've never hit my fenders backing trailers, fender protection would be awesome in case I pop one!!

CO Lineman 01-16-2011 12:35 PM

I would like to see one with a full grill guard and be able to get it on chrome. There aren't many out there that are chrome that are very reasonably priced..I do like the looks of the stock bumper but need more protection form the animals. Also a place for the block heater plug like the thing form genos garage..

Backwoods Bumpers 01-16-2011 08:09 PM

I've had a handful of people request chrome. The problem with that is there are no chrome shops around here big enough to dip bumpers. The other problem is the cost. I'm open to suggestion though - if someone has a connection with a chrome shop, I'd like to get some more info!

The block heater plugs are no problem. I believe it just requires a 1 7/8 inch hole.

sgt snake 01-16-2011 11:15 PM

im with the guy who dislikes seeing under the truck with all of the available aftermarket bumpers. i think they should drop lower some how and not project out so far. the front of the trucks look odd and the lines and look of the truck get lost. even if you have to some how weld a lower plate to drop the bumper for astetics. keep the strength up top for wench purposes and dress up the bottom. maybe you can some how incorporate plastic into the design somehow. while your at it you should make some grills too. these companys are rediculous on the prices they are charging for a pc of steel. we end up cutting and installing them ourselves. $1200 plus for grill inserts is ridiculous for a pc of steele that cost $4.00. on another note, did anyone else do any suspension mods to there trucks? i did a 6 inch lift kit from pro comp and it has been a total night mare since installed. very dangerous kit, steering wheel fights left and right like crazy and the truck feels like it wants to run right off the road, and my brand new 37 inch tires are starting to ware on the edges

Backwoods Bumpers 01-17-2011 05:46 AM

We actually do offer grilles for the 3rd gens. 2nd and 4th gens are next. I agree with you on some of the ridiculous pricing. However, I ended up having to charge more than I would like because of the cost of the woven mesh. It's just stupid how much that stuff costs. We can get the 4th gen grilles rolling just as soon as I get a donor grille in the shop!

DJM 01-17-2011 06:24 AM

How far away are you from having a winch bumper for the 2010's ? I'd be willing to come out and be a donor truck for the grill, and hopefully get my winch bumper at the same time.

I prefer a nice tighter winch with clean lines that cover & protect what needs to be protected.

It's nice to be retired and have time to travel around the country. I would hope that we could fit a larger winch into the bumper, but some times sacrifices need to be made.

Backwoods Bumpers 01-17-2011 08:11 AM

It looks like we're gonna get the 2010 truck in the shop for mock-up in about 2 weeks. After that, it will be another week or so until we get the jig all set up and into production.

I appreciate the offer on the grille, but it will (for all practical purposes) ruin the grille and I need to keep it in the shop for future use. I just need to order one or find somebody who has scratched one up or broken the middle out of one.

You're more than welcome to make the drive and come visit! I'll put your bumper on for you and I'd love to get some pics of one installed on a truck.

For the next two weeks, keep the suggestions coming - and I'd still like to see if anybody has any drawings or ideas in picture form!

sheriffav8r 01-17-2011 09:33 AM

For me, I want a front bumper with the ability to add a winch, but still have a front receiver hitch, maybe below the winch mount. Clean angular lines, like you've been producing are the best. High clearance with snug fitting are important. The ability to either add or subtract light bars on the front would be a plus. Looking forward to your creation....

Backwoods Bumpers 01-17-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r (Post 2908059)
For me, I want a front bumper with the ability to add a winch, but still have a front receiver hitch, maybe below the winch mount. Clean angular lines, like you've been producing are the best. High clearance with snug fitting are important. The ability to either add or subtract light bars on the front would be a plus. Looking forward to your creation....

What you're describing is the most common request and will probably be the first style we come out with. Basically our deluxe series with lines that compliment the new body style. The same guards will be available that we have for the 3rd gens. I'm also definitely open to new guard ideas too.

vwtech 01-17-2011 09:43 PM

I'm looking for a pre-runner style light bar do you have anything available or in the works, just need something to hang some lights on. Something similar to this
http://www.n-fab.com/view.just.image..._Dodge_(1).jpg

Backwoods Bumpers 01-18-2011 09:17 AM

Honestly, I've never been able to be competitive in the market that sells bolt-on products. I offer a bumper with a guard like that, but I've never had any luck with grille guards or other accessories that use the factory bumper.

However, I'm more than happy to look at that while the truck is at our shop. I'll check in to how they mount and how strong I could make one.

turbohi 01-18-2011 08:46 PM

some of the aftermarket bumpers that i have seen have this funny smile too them..tall in the middle then slice up high at the wheels...although i understand that design..it is still ugly. i like the shape of the factory bumper. so something to that same shape but with the flat steel....if that makes any sense..i hope..lol it does in my head anyways..

Backwoods Bumpers 01-18-2011 09:46 PM

No, that makes perfect sense. It's just tough to find a compromise. The reason for that shape is to get more clearance by the tires. I'll have the truck in the shop for a couple days, so I'll be able to play around with design. I don't really want to burn through 2 sheets of steel, but I'll play with several different ideas.

HMX-1 01-19-2011 02:38 AM

I like the designs that Road Armor and Throttle Down Kustoms have and the only design change I would like to see on this style of front bumpers would be to decrease how far forward they project.

There isn't any good reason to have a bumper stick "that" far out in front of the truck if there isn't a winch mount there.

For the back bumpers, the design that Road Armor has is fine, but I'd like to see more lighting options (more lights or options for round/square LED's) and the ability to mount the bumper around a trailer hitch.

Kris