4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is there an intake heater for cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there an intake heater for cold weather?

This may sound stupid, but is there an intake heater on this engine? The brochures state that there is normal starting down to -20F. I take that to mean that you don't need to plug in the truck overnight if your outside temp is above -20F. I drove a 2010 3500 today and saw there is the yellow coil thingy light in the dash. Is that the "wait to start" light? I plan on having my as yet unordered 2011 up north but doubt the temp will go below -20F and just want some input as to whether I need the cold weather package or not....
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i live in steamboat springs co.i have owened a 07 6.7 for 3 yrs now i also own a99 5.9 old faithful i call it,but any ways i plug them in pretty much all winter,from 30deg and colder with warm oil adds life to engine right? i believe in them,but the newer ones sure do warm up allot quicker.SEMPER FI back to you son in motor t and brother retired infantry.ooh raa
Old 07-21-2010, 11:39 PM

Ooh Rah! I also read that the integrated exhaust brake helps the engine warm up quicker, so it must add a little restriction when the engine is cold to help it warm up. I'll miss my somewhat trusty 5.9 but I think it's time to go "new." The funny thing is that my kelly blue book on the truck is about $7500 trade in and about $10K private party. I'm convinced that I could part out the truck and make more than that. Sad, but true.... Flew the Jump Jets for a few years in the Corps. Yeah, we're a Department of the Navy, but we're the Men's Department.... Sorry to all my Navy friends out there, but that's just funny....
Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
Ooh Rah! I also read that the integrated exhaust brake helps the engine warm up quicker, so it must add a little restriction when the engine is cold to help it warm up. I'll miss my somewhat trusty 5.9 but I think it's time to go "new." The funny thing is that my kelly blue book on the truck is about $7500 trade in and about $10K private party. I'm convinced that I could part out the truck and make more than that. Sad, but true.... Flew the Jump Jets for a few years in the Corps. Yeah, we're a Department of the Navy, but we're the Men's Department.... Sorry to all my Navy friends out there, but that's just funny....
the mens dept,i like that.headin out to camp pendalton to see our marine,we are moving his girlfriend out there in two weeks,think i hear wedding bells.anyways yes the engine brake does help them warm up quicker,i was also told it helps clean the dpf better,dont know if thats true but we drive with ours on all the time,if you dont usr it enogh the little activator can get sooted up,i love our truck but im goin to get the smarty delete and removin all that emission crap.good luck with your new truck.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM

The newer trucks seem to stay allot warmer. The engine brake has allot of back pressure to make the motor work to warm up. Just be careful driving around on ice with the EB on in 2wd. It can get entertaining. Get the under hood winter front (p/n 82208646) and the motor will sit at 180 degrees all day long driving around in town. My 2000 would never do that even after taking the fan off. When it gets cold, change to a good 5w40 synthetic diesel oil and put on a oil pan heater. After 2 hours of being plugged in, the water temperature goes from -20 to 90 degrees and she fires off like the middle of summer.

I sometimes miss my 2000 5.9, it had so much character, but the 6.7, every time I start it, just makes me smile.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM

On a side note, instead of the "wait to start" light that I'm used to there is now the yellow glow plug springy looking light, correct? Does this thing have glow plugs then, or are the designers just a little goofy? I mean, I guess it could be a picture of a heater, like an intake heater, but isn't that the universal symbol for "glow plug"?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:13 PM

no glowplugs just a grid heater,and on the newer trucks sometimes in the summer you dont need to even cycle the heater,you just start it.