Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Upper and lower ball joints (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/upper-lower-ball-joints-145901/)

dylan 04-10-2007 08:53 PM

Upper and lower ball joints

Hello all,

I just turned 46000 and found out I have to replace my upper/lower ball joints[verymad] . I tried to search and didn't find much, is this common? I drive some roads that are ruff in some areas, would this be the cause? Are there any good after market?

Anything else I should check?

Regards.

smokindog 04-10-2007 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dylan (Post 1453690)
.... I drive some roads that are ruff in some areas, would this be the cause?

Ding ding ding.... we have a winner.....

46K is a little soon, but not unheard of.

Peterbilt 04-11-2007 09:08 AM

I replaced mine with Moog greasables at 75K. They were probably OK, but I'm pretty proactive (hate that word)[laugh] . Had the dealer install them. They did a poor alignment and told me it was because of the upper Moogs and that I will always have a problem. Took it NTB for an alignment and now it drives like new. There are other brands that are greasable, but not adjustable.

Pete

CrazyCooter 04-11-2007 01:30 PM

My left side already has play @ 8400 miles.

Anyone know what the spec. is for warranty claim?

Raspy 04-11-2007 11:41 PM

Peterbilt,

How did you know yours were worn out? Did it drive poorly, like wandering or pulling? I have just over 100,000 on mine now and it drives like it always has except I think it's pulling to the right more than before. I lke the idea of the adjustables. I wonder if they are stronger than the stockers?

Wetspirit

Peterbilt 04-12-2007 06:43 AM

Wetspirit,

I'm not sure if they were bad enough to replace them at this time. When I checked them by jjacking up and using a lever to check for play, I noticed a very slight movement, but that may have been enough. I think it's .060 for uppers and .090 for lowers. I injected grease into them with a needle adapter and couple of times. I was a little agressive with the greasing the last time and ran the needle out the other side, duh! The reason I went ahead and changed them is I had some wandering, not bad. I replaed the stabilizer and no help. I had the money at the time, so I had it done.

Pete

neversatisfied 04-12-2007 02:41 PM

I have 46,000 miles on my truck and noticed a little dart and dive. I jacked up the front end, grabbed the top and bottom of the wheel and felt some play. I thought this indicated bad wheel bearings, or is it the ball joints.
could someone help me clarify this?
Thanks
Steve

yamarx1 04-13-2007 06:11 PM

upper and lower ball joints

I have 52000 miles and I just spent $1100.00 to have my uppers and lowers replaced. Not real happy about it, to me this is premature wear. Talked to Dodge 3 times and got no where they said there hasn't been enough complaints to warrant a recall. Prior to 38000 miles had every universal joint replaced, and along with my ball joints had to replace front driver side universal again. The service joked about how at least I got 29000 miles this time with it before had to replace.

shonne 04-16-2007 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter (Post 1454886)
My left side already has play @ 8400 miles.

Anyone know what the spec. is for warranty claim?

I am getting the right replaced tomorrow. Warranty claim.

yamarx1 04-17-2007 08:07 PM

how many miles?