Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Tow mirror hinge busted (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/tow-mirror-hinge-busted-169556/)

ralph2003ram 09-16-2007 07:53 PM

Tow mirror hinge busted

I backed up, and my right outside tow mirror hit my mail box and swung forward. There is supposed to be some sort of spring loaded ball bearing (i guess) that holds the mirror arm in place when it goes back the correct position. It does not do that now. Anybody figure out a cheap/correct way to fix it so it will still pivot but stay in place?
Beneath the tow mirror pivot point is a plastic cap. Removal of the plastic cap shows that their is a large spring clip washer. I am hesatant to remove the the spring washer until I have a better idea how to fix it. Visit a junk yard I guess.

bekim 09-16-2007 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ralph2003ram (Post 1698196)
I backed up, and my right outside tow mirror hit my mail box and swung forward. There is supposed to be some sort of spring loaded ball bearing (i guess) that holds the mirror arm in place when it goes back the correct position. It does not do that now. Anybody figure out a cheap/correct way to fix it so it will still pivot but stay in place?
Beneath the tow mirror pivot point is a plastic cap. Removal of the plastic cap shows that their is a large spring clip washer. I am hesatant to remove the the spring washer until I have a better idea how to fix it. Visit a junk yard I guess.

Lots of single tow and non tow power and non power Ram mirrors for sale on e-bay. New and used.
Cheers
Mike
###

Wv7o 09-17-2007 01:16 AM

If you do take the spring out be carfull a coworker took his apart and informed me that the spring is under some good tension, It flew out an almost hit him.

You should be carefull and use a face shield.

Posm 09-17-2007 10:09 AM

I have a brand new Mopar left side mirror that was shipped and did not have the electric harness in it. The dealer did not want to pay for return and left it with me. I had been keeping it for an occasion just as yours. If you think the retention parts are the same I will take $75.00 for it delivered to you.

Bryan

whitebuffalo 09-17-2007 11:12 AM

i had the exact same problem. i hyperextended mine forward while backing my trailer and then it wouldnt lock into position. i took the mirror off the truck and worked the hinge portion back and forth as far as it would go and it finally popped back into place and is working fine. i took them off trying to figure out how to dismantle the spring like mentioned above....while i was trying i accidentally fixed it :D