3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering Box Options

Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well everyone loves a tight box, lol.
Just throwing it out there. My OE steering box locked up at 70k miles. The shuttle valve in the power assist stuck to one side so could only turn one way! At that point the OE one was still good from a drive ability standpoint.
Replaced with a Napa rebuild, cheapo one. Added a steering brace at 100k miles. Now at 125k mi and its still in good shape.
Luck of the draw probably, since I've went thru 3 or 4 reman hydro boost pumps and finally shelled out for the new OE one. Got sick of changing the cheap ones out.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RedHead way to go. They have tight boxes. lol
Old 12-24-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedHead Steering Gear Box

I have a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab, Turbo Diesel, I had replaced it twice with only 54000 miles on it, I just put in the redhead along with a steering stabilizer,
Here are the links

Dodge Ram Steering Gear Box Stabilizer

2003-2008 Dodge 2500 AND 3500 Steering Gear | RedHeadSteeringGears.com

Of course it is new, but it is tight, I swear the last time they put one in at the dealer, it still had a inch of play in it.

Will update in six months, but happy I found this sight and hopefully found a much better fix than stock, time will tell.
D
Attached Thumbnails Steering Box Options-4e8a1622.jpg   Steering Box Options-4e8a1639.jpg   Steering Box Options-4e8a1636.jpg  
Old 02-27-2020, 12:38 PM

What redhead did you go with? The 4 bolt cover or the 6 bolt cover upgraded mopar?
Old 02-27-2020, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nkasten
What redhead did you go with? The 4 bolt cover or the 6 bolt cover upgraded mopar?
Just let them know what you have, you also have to send yours back and they be able to use some part from it. Four bolt.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by walkman
Just let them know what you have, you also have to send yours back and they be able to use some part from it. Four bolt.
It doesn't matter what you have currently, they both work for the 3rd gens. The 6 bolt is the upgraded unit that has the larger shaft and is more heavy duty than the stock like replacement which has the 4 bolts.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:59 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Anybody have anything new to add to this thread? Never been entirely happy with my Redhead steering box and now it appears to be leaking, so needs to be replaced. Can't see the actual leak, but it appears to be between the box and the frame, so need to remove the box to be sure. While it is out, am considering a new steering box, but which one? Does the Mopar 6 bolt upgraded box really improve things to make it worth the extra cost? Or maybe I should just go for the cheapie rebuild stuff from Autozone and replace annually?

This truck spends quite a bit of time on rough unpaved dirt tracks, plus have oversize tires, so the steering box gets abused. Should this info be added to the equation of choosing a new box, or should any steering box be able to handle all road conditions and tire size?

All suggestions and advice is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Anybody have anything new to add to this thread? Never been entirely happy with my Redhead steering box and now it appears to be leaking, so needs to be replaced. Can't see the actual leak, but it appears to be between the box and the frame, so need to remove the box to be sure. While it is out, am considering a new steering box, but which one? Does the Mopar 6 bolt upgraded box really improve things to make it worth the extra cost? Or maybe I should just go for the cheapie rebuild stuff from Autozone and replace annually?

This truck spends quite a bit of time on rough unpaved dirt tracks, plus have oversize tires, so the steering box gets abused. Should this info be added to the equation of choosing a new box, or should any steering box be able to handle all road conditions and tire size?

All suggestions and advice is appreciated.
Well, I don't know what year you have, mines a 06' and have the Red Head without any issues for 7 years now. My son has the Mega Cab 06' and used the bigger box, don't remember what brand but he hasn't had any trouble. I think the red head has a pretty good warranty, I thought..
Old 09-10-2020, 04:02 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Didn't my truck info show in my signature? It is a 2003 2500 4X4.

Redhead tell me that all they will do for is is give me a $50 discount on a new box. I have installed 3 steering boxes prior to this Redhead, so pretty fed up with this whole steering thing. Was really hoping that this Redhead would resolve the issues once and for all.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:34 AM

Yes I see it now. Well with 3 replacements you must have other issues. 315 Yoko's are pretty big tire. Check lucky runner post about stabilizer. Again the only other box I know of is a bigger one in size my son bought. Have you checked track bar bushings? Good luck.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by walkman
Yes I see it now. Well with 3 replacements you must have other issues. 315 Yoko's are pretty big tire. Check lucky runner post about stabilizer. Again the only other box I know of is a bigger one in size my son bought. Have you checked track bar bushings? Good luck.
Forgot what size drop is your pitman arm, and they do wear out. The splines on the arm become a little flat which effects the steering also.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:38 AM

The first box became tight and would not center and Dodge replaced that under warranty, but all my other problems have been leaks. Have the Carli track bars and ball joints and everything is tight. The pitman arm is tight on the shaft.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Well my experience is you have to get the truck on a lift, and holding the tire twist it left to right, and up and down by hand, to look to see where and if play/movement in parts.. If your problem is just leak from the red head several times, maybe installation issues? Also if truck lifted, what is your drop on the pitman arm?
Old 09-10-2020, 10:14 AM

I have a 4 inch lift and with 20 inch rims and 295x65x20 tires makes it about 6 inch lift total. I have a 2 inch drop arm.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:50 PM
JRG

Thread I posted on TDR "Bolt on 6 bolt"

I posted this similar question/thread on the TDR and it doesn't seem like anyone over there has any exact opinions or experience. The question/conversation of this thread is the closest thing to what I was trying to find out so I figured I would post a copy here as I felt it to have some relevant information/links and see if anyone had any pre/post experience with the true bolt on options to upgrade to a 6 bolt box. Below is the post as posted----

I have searched around and can't seem to find exact information so here I am.

2003 3500 srw 4x4
6" lift 37x12x22

Assumptions
6 bolt is better than 4 bolt
New is better than remanufactured
Custom rebuilt is better than remanufactured
Bolt on is easier than modified, spacered, retrofit
Cost is a medium factor

Assume I retain my '09 "T" linkage, stock steering shaft, and other bolt on components associated with a 6" lift

Questions?
As I see it there are 2 "new" bolt on options that I would like to compare.

Borgeson 800123 ..........vs..........PSC SG853

There are at least a couple other options like the best available Red Head and Blue Top but those are custom rebuilds and not part of this post at this time.

If you have any experience with either of the direct bolt on boxes, what is your impression?
vs stock 4 bolt?
vs reman 4 bolt?
vs custom rebuilds?

Last edited by JRG; 10-06-2020 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Misspelt word

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Box Options