3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Rotating tires on dually?

Old 11-16-2003, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotating tires on dually?

What is the proper procedure for rotating tires on a dually?

The manual says something about not changing rotation direction of tires on a dually. It also has a diagram showing a rotation pattern that would change the direction of the tires.

Brian Elfert
Old 11-16-2003, 04:30 PM

Re:Rotating tires on dually?

The statement in the manual refers specifically to the rear tires. And it is rather confusing. I presume that it is to ensure the raised white letters are always facing to the outside of the truck so they are visible. I followed the diagram when I rotated mine. I have the all season tires on mine. The off road tires may be different though.

Casey
Old 11-16-2003, 05:28 PM

Hi
this is the first truck i have seen that has wanted you to not change rotational direction of the tires..my last 2 duallys i always rotated from side to side and always tried to keep the best 2 tires on the front ...i noticed the diagram in the manual and although i haven't actually checked the tires themselves to see if they are directional like the ones on my Mercedes, I doubt it, its more like a marketing connection from the manufacturer to make sure everyone sees who's tires they are..unfortunaltey it would look crappy to see some tires not having the lettering facing out..not sure what my approach will be yet..I do know that my next set of tires wont have white letters...wonder how hard it is to turn them black?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:00 AM

The tires that come on the 4x4 are those Goodyear deals with a different tread pattern on the outside of the tread than the inside. To work, they always need the tread pattern in the proper position. The other Goodyears it doesn't matter.

Make 'em last cause Goodyear is the only tire you can get in that size.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:35 AM

[quote author=Groucho link=board=17;threadid=22498;start=0#msg210952 date=1069167623]
The tires that come on the 4x4 are those Goodyear deals with a different tread pattern on the outside of the tread than the inside. To work, they always need the tread pattern in the proper position. The other Goodyears it doesn't matter.

Make 'em last cause Goodyear is the only tire you can get in that size.
[/quote]

Is there any point to rotating the tires if you can't change rotation direction of the tires? I suppose the inside dual on either side could go to the front. The outside dual on one side could be swapped with the inside dual on the other side.

On a truck with four tires the whole point of rotation is to even out wear since the drive tires get more wear.

Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert
Old 11-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 75000 miles out of the first set on my truck and am over 62000 on the set I have on now. I rotate every 9000 miles and run 70 in the front and 65 in the rears.
The pattern I use is just like the book says. I move the inside dual directly to the front, turn the outside dual around and put it on the inside, turn the front around and put it on the outside on the rear. This serves to flatten out the tread on the fronts again after they run on the rear for a while. I also match up the alignment holes which puts the valve stems 180 out from each other. Somebody will probably argue and say this is foolish and all of that but I am telling you what has worked for me and very well. I pull up to 26000 pounds from time to time so I am going to keep doing it like this for as long as I am getting that kind of mileage out of my tires.

DD4X4