3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Regular Cabs - Who Needs 'Em!?

Old 10-25-2002, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular Cabs - Who Needs 'Em!?

Well, I do - but apparently more and more people don't.

I pulled up 3 of the local dealer's inventories this morning and noted that of 82 '03 HD Rams sitting on the lots only 3 are regular cabs.

Heck, if that rate (about 4%) of occurence is indicative of production #'s - I wonder how much longer we will even see regular cab trucks offered. I do recall pre-launch statements from Dodge saying about 80% of '03 HD production would be Quads.

Just my thoughts: I think this trend is representative of 2 primary forces - (1) consumer needs, and (2) profit margins.

Consumer Needs:
It's now a no-brainer to recognize the consumer market has changed. People want a more comfortable, versatile vehicle. Subsequently, modern SUV's and trucks have incorporated the benefits of stationwagons and vans into their structure. On some trucks, the bed itself seems to be disappearing more and more. Heck, it's pretty convenient to be able to use the same vehicle to tow, pick up people at the airport, go out to dinner with the family, and even commute. Hmmm... maybe they should call them MUV's (Multiple Use Vehicles).

Profit Margins:
This is probably a bit cynical - but I think the truck companies are pushing things like Quad/Crew cabs 'cause it's better for the bottom line. There's more of a profit margin built into a Quad/Crew cab truck than the regular cab. And, I would guess those buying a Quad/Crew cab are more likely to outfit it at a higher level 'cause it's going to be used more of the time in more situations by more family members. Increased option levels = more profits.

So, you ask (and thanks for doing so), "Geez, Bill - why are you buying a regular cab?"

I need the long bed to haul things (toys, wood, ATV's) whether I'm towing or not. My garage is 20' long. The regular cab w/long bed is approx. 19' long. If I were to get the Quad w/long bed - I'd have to start taking out walls.

Yeah, I could tough it out and just park a longer truck outside, but I'll tell ya, it gets pretty frickin' cold, icey, and snowy here in the winter and there's nothin' nicer than going out to a heated garage and getting in a warm truck not covered in ice. I'm spoiled.

Best to y'all
Bill
Old 10-25-2002, 09:05 AM

Re:Regular Cabs - Who Needs 'Em!?

Utah - You're right. My '89 cab only holds two of us for long trips. If I want to go to the airport to pick someone up I have to take wife's Durango. If we want to take others with us to the races we have to have them take their own cars. The '03 3500 dually will handle it all. Like you, I'll have to park it outside, but even had to fold the mirrors back on the '89, so I've been using that side of the garage for storage. Hate the cold, snowy mornings, but we don't get all that much of them.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:05 AM
Muted User

So far I've had four pickups (started driving a truck in 1974 before everybody and his sister had one), and they've all been Regular cabs. I want to order an '03 Cummins-equipped Ram 2500, and that will be regular cab too. I have no ball and chain or "she who must be obeyed" to please, and so I'll stick with the traditional look. Besides, I always pay cash for my vehicles, so I don't buy a lot of gadgets like heated seats and heated mirrors which are not essential. The reason the manufacturers make such a huge profit on pick ups is because of all the people who buy fully loaded trucks. Most people want instant gratification, so they'll buy what's on the lot. Dealers know this and stock fully loaded (profit loaded, too) vehicles. That's why you don't see many new regular cabs in stock, unless they are white "work trucks."
Old 10-26-2002, 04:37 PM

;D<br> UTAH<br> <br> Have had my 2003 Reg Cab 4x4 6spd only a few weeks and have no regrets in staying with the reg cab. Although they try and make you feel like a leper when ordering because you don't want a quad. I told a fella the other day this truck will be worth more some day because of it's rarity, a reg cab.<br> In the 2003's there's very generous amounts of room behind the seat to put stuff, very important to me. I need an 8' box, and this truck is 20&quot; shorter than the Quad so it doesn't have the turning radius of a small bus, also important.<br> The only draw back to the reg cab with the 6spd is that she's strictly a 2 passenger. Between the stick and the cup holders ect. being all on the hump ,there's no foot or leg room for the third person, absolutly none, nada. This is not a big deal to me but to some folks it could be. As far as getting in the garage. I dearly wish it would fit because I hate brushing off snow and scrapping windscreens, but it won't fit, to tall.<br> An old Indian once told me that beauty was all in the eye of the beholder. And I'am beholding to a reg cab. Pete
Old 10-26-2002, 08:27 PM

Excellent points, Blue, mrb, and Pete. <br><br>I'm glad to see it mentioned the way a regular cab looks great. I guess I'm showing my age, but a regular cab still looks like a truck should look to me.<br><br>The new generation that's grown up with Quad and Crew cabs will probably think my truck looks dated. Oh well...<br><br>Best to y'all<br>Bill
Old 10-26-2002, 09:18 PM

You know what's about the dumbest thing i've seen, and lately, alot of? The new style 1500s, regular cab, short box. What is the blue hell is the purpose of that? You could barely put a bag of groceries back there! I like the looks of a regular cab long bed actually better than a quad cab long bed. That was one of the reasons I opted for the dually. The &quot;hips&quot; kinda' deter from the super-long look. ;D I'm just glad my garage is deep enough for her to fit! ;D <br><br>Tony
Old 10-26-2002, 11:53 PM

Garage? Snow? Is there a glossary somewhere that actually explains these terms?<br><br>Seriously though, I vote for the regular cab for looks and as a logical choice where conditions allow. Also 'cause I got one. I do like the shorter truck since I wind up in alleys and other odd places where it's handier (for work, not recreation). For most work situations, I'm alone, so plenty of room. Kind of a mobile sofa.<br><br>On the other hand, the extended cab figured heavily in mmy last truck purchase (Toyota T100) because we did need room for the child. It also provides a handy place to put my luggage when alone, but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker in a regular cab (I have tops on all my trucks).<br><br>Lastly, having the Toyota extended cab already gave me more latitude when looking for a CTD (the base model reg cab that no one wanted). So best of both worlds; T100 for family hauler and CTD for me.<br><br>Rob<br><br>PS My 7 y.o. daughter always wants to take the Dodge. She also likes it when I bring an IH 4700 home from work. Thinks it's fun to ride around in. Little redneck girl? Oh yeah.