3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ram 2500 CTD: 2004 or 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram 2500 CTD: 2004 or 2005?

If I could get a good deal on a used 2004, or stretch my budget a little and get a 2005, what would you guys suggest?

Are there any substantial differences between the two model years? I think the last time the 2500 was redesigned was in 2003 - were most of the bugs worked out by the time the 2004's were released?

Lastly - I'm also split on whether I want to get a manual tranny or automatic - I've always driven automatics, but I find myself wishing I had a manual sometimes - I think it would be a little more fun to drive, but I'm afraid it may be a pain in the butt a lot of the time. For any of you who drive manuals – do you wish you had an automatic instead? Is one much better or worse as far as reliability? On a final note - my girlfriend might need to drive it on occasion, and she doesn't have much experience with a manual - isn't it a little easier with a diesel, as far as being a little harder to stall the engine? Ive heard you can into a lot of the gears with the engine just at idle speed.

Id really appreciate anyone’s input. Thanks!
Adam
Old 03-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the "good deal" I say stretch your budget!

6 speed is a whole lot of rowing even for one who has rowed a-lot!
6speed is more bomb friendly!

My wife 5'2" 100lbs jumps at the chance to drive "the rig" I've gotta break her of that!! Auto is really easy for her to drive

Do not let your girlfriend have the keys!!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:51 AM

It's almost impossible to stall. You don't need to use the go pedal in combination w/ the clutch. Just let out the clutch all the way, then use the right foot. I'm still getting used to that. My wife & I fight over who drives it but we've always had manuals.

I'm glad I don't have an auto because I'd be racing it all the time. The manual is a slow shifter but I wouldn't trade it for an auto. Much more control.

If you've always driven an auto though, I'd think twice about the manual. It's a lot of shifting as runamuk said.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by mestdagh
It's almost impossible to stall. You don't need to use the go pedal in combination w/ the clutch. Just let out the clutch all the way, then use the right foot. I'm still getting used to that. My wife & I fight over who drives it but we've always had manuals.

I'm glad I don't have an auto because I'd be racing it all the time. The manual is a slow shifter but I wouldn't trade it for an auto. Much more control.

If you've always driven an auto though, I'd think twice about the manual. It's a lot of shifting as runamuk said.
Thanks for the input, guys!

So you've got me thinking twice about the manual. I read a review of the truck not too long ago, and the guy said you could start out in THIRD gear, without causing much of any difficulty for the engine, and once you reach about 40mph, you can shift up to 6th. Anyone care to confirm or deny that? If that is true, and it's not hard on the drivetrain, that could make shifting much less tiresome. (of course this probably only applies when nothing is being towed).

In addition to the above, I understand 1st gear is more of a "granny" gear, which you'd rarely ever use (except when towing something really heavy), so that essentially makes it a 5 speed.

Anyway, the point is just that it APPEARS that for normal daily driving, if I can skip some gears, the amount of shifting wouldn't be that bad. Anyone agree / disagree? It may appear that I'm answering some of my own questions, but I'm making assumptions on some of the aspects, and since I dont have much experience with manual, I would be happy to hear some additional opinions on this.

In my current truck with an auto, it irritates me sometimes how it upshifts too soon - like if im turning onto a road, the tranny will upshift during the turn, but then I need to mash it once I'm on the road to catch up to the speed of traffic around me.....I get a lot of hesitation from the tranny before it downshifts and lets me pick up speed faster. Id probably have a similar problem with the ram's auto, right? Sometimes, in cases like those, I just put the shifter in 1st, and then switch back to "D" when I'm up to speed....how well would that work on the Ram's auto? Is that causing much additional wear/tear to do that?

I appreciate the feedback!
Adam
Old 03-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I have a 05 and love my auto, I test drove a 6 speed and that was a little to much shifting for me. I've owned manuals my whole life and to be honest I'm tiered of shifting. Plus hard to drink my coffee and shift at the same time. As for the shift patterns on the auto I've "trained mine" to shift into higher gears when I feather the gas. Supposedly there is a computer chip in the trans to memorize the way you drive the truck, this is just what I've heard but seems to work for me