Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   No Speedo, Brake and ABS lights on at dash? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/no-speedo-brake-abs-lights-dash-110816/)

Big Bob 07-28-2006 11:24 PM

No Speedo, Brake and ABS lights on at dash?

On my 04, the speedometer quit working, the cruise control quit, brake light and ABS lights are on, on the dash. Thought it was the speed sensor in the rear differential, but it wasn't. Anyone have any ideas of what may be causing this?

handymantim 07-29-2006 07:30 AM

Check the fuses.

Do the Instrument Cluster self-test by holding down the trip odometer and then turning the ignition to on. Codes will be displayed at the end of the test in the odometer window.

Finally, get the other codes by turning the ignition on/off/on/off/on. These codes can also be read in the odometer window.

mule3010 08-08-2006 02:49 PM

My 04.5 just did the same thing. All gauges quit, the a/c comp. quit and the abs, check engine,brake light etc. were on. The dealer said it's fixed and said it was a wire that had pulled out of a wire harrness on top of the transmission. Did you find out what caused yours? I'm curious now.
Joe

engmike 08-09-2006 03:22 PM

Sounds to me like your ABS control module is fried. Mine went out on me a month or so ago and I had the same thing except my truck would not run at all. Just so you know which module I'm talking about, its right at the rear corner on the driver side underneath the hood. There will be 2 wire harnesses coming out of it. Play around with that and see if you can get anything going, otherwise I think the unit is around $300 bucks. :(

sparky76266 08-10-2006 08:15 PM

Check Your #34 Fuse

v8440 08-10-2006 08:38 PM

If your truck is an auto, I think there are two vehicle speed sensors-one in the transmission, and one in the rearend. From what I'm told, the one in the transmission is monitored by the ecm until vehicle speed reaches 25 mph, at which point the rear one takes over. If that's the case, I dunno if a bad sensor in the transmission would disrupt everything, even above 25 mph. I suspect it might.

Big Bob 08-12-2006 08:14 PM

It was a fuse. Thanks everyone for your help.

JMalone 02-27-2007 09:27 PM

I am having the same problem after my father-in-law tried to wire up a light for me (of course after I insisted it wasn't necessary). The fuse for my left park light blew (#15). It works now, but my speedometer doesn't work and the ABS and Park Brake indicators stay on. I have reseated the fuse we put in #15, and checked a few others that I thought might be related.... I don't have a meter here or I would just check them all....

#34 is a spare 20A fuse on my '06. It doesn't even have one in it. Can anyone direct me to the correct fuse to check? I didn't have any problems w/ it prior to messing with that light.

I did attempt to disconnect the batteries for a few minutes and did the instrument cluster self-test as described above.

JMalone 03-08-2007 06:47 AM

Okay, I thought I'd post this because I thought it might be helpful to someone down the line.

On my '06 Fuse #30 is marked as "SPARE" in both the box and the manual. It is actually for the ABS. This in turn will affect the speedometer as well.

My ABS and E-Brake lights and speedo went nuts after unknowingly pulling the fuse out for it!

plowmaster 03-08-2007 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On my 2007 Ram 2500 CTD LAST of the 5.9's I also pulled the # 30 QUOTE ( SPARE ) as it was labeled to use it to power the snow plow controler in the cab so it would power on and off with the key that led to the ABS-Brake light -and no speedometer I backtracked replaced the fuse and everything was fine lights went back out and the ABS was functional again.[duhhh]

Attachment 73626

JMalone 03-08-2007 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by plowmaster (Post 1398267)
On my 2007 Ram 2500 CTD LAST of the 5.9's I also pulled the # 30 QUOTE ( SPARE ) as it was labeled to use it to power the snow plow controler in the cab so it would power on and off with the key that led to the ABS-Brake light -and no speedometer I backtracked replaced the fuse and everything was fine lights went back out and the ABS was functional again.[duhhh]

My friend and I actually talked about going and getting a fuse to put back in it, but it just didn't make sense to us... It was supposed to be a SPARE!! [dummy]

ColinP 05-17-2013 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by JMalone (Post 1396579)
Okay, I thought I'd post this because I thought it might be helpful to someone down the line.

On my '06 Fuse #30 is marked as "SPARE" in both the box and the manual. It is actually for the ABS. This in turn will affect the speedometer as well.

My ABS and E-Brake lights and speedo went nuts after unknowingly pulling the fuse out for it!

6 years later and this little bit of info saved me from a big headache! thank you!!

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S 07-19-2013 12:37 PM

I'm having them same problems, I have checked the fuses. My problems started after I tried to splice into black/red wire in the steering column to hook up a button switch trying to get the horn to work.

Bill Roden 08-25-2013 05:40 PM

You guys ROCK! I had the same problem with my 2006, after tappng into the wiring harness. I tapped into the exciter wire for the A/C compressor, in order to make the new electric fans I installed. After reading the forum, I went back and checked the #30 fuse holder, and the "Spare" fuse holder is obviously the one that powers it all up! Thanks again guys![director]

Tyrone Cloward 03-13-2018 07:02 PM

09 6spd

Originally Posted by JMalone (Post 1396579)

my abs and brake lift are on speedometer not working, I replaced the speed sensor in the rear diff still doesn’t work checked #30 fuse and it is blown but I replaced it and as soon as I turn the key on it blows so I know there has to be a short somewhere but I can’t find anything